Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 C-HR Limited. Pearl White with Black Roof
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home a new C-HR Limited. I was very surprised to find it had no garage door opener buttons. So I started research - including looking around here - and haven't landed on a clear best solution. I have a little fob that works. I installed MyQ in the garage and that works with the MyQ app. Apparently MyQ doesn't integrate with Android Auto. Is there a way to integrate MyQ and/or Android Auto and/or the C-HR dash or do I already have the best solutions?

·
Registered
386 Posts
i have both. you can do a hook through iftt into alexa or smartthings (if this than that) but it's a bandage and not THAT secure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have both. you can do a hook through iftt into alexa or smartthings (if this than that) but it's a bandage and not THAT secure.
Thanks. I'm looking into that now. My plan is to link Google Assistant to MyQ. My assumption is that I'll be talking to my phone and not the car. I'm new to IFTTT, so working through it. I know there's Android Auto and Alexa-Toyota. Not sure if one of those is possible and would be better than Google Assistant. Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'm looking into that now. My plan is to link Google Assistant to MyQ. My assumption is that I'll be talking to my phone and not the car. I'm new to IFTTT, so working through it. I know there's Android Auto and Alexa-Toyota. Not sure if one of those is possible and would be better than Google Assistant. Any advice is welcome.
Okay - I got it to work, but it's only willing to close the garage door. If I have to bring up the app to open it when I get home, it isn't much of a benefit.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Apparently, you missed my thread on installing a Gentex mirror with Homelink.

(2) Installed Gentex auto dimming with Homelink mirror. | Toyota C-HR Forum (toyotachrforum.com)

For whatever reason, it appears Toyota deleted the inclusion of the auto dimming mirror after 2019. It made grabbing a power source real easy to run the Gentex mirror. But it's not a total show stopper. Gentex provides enough cabling for you to run the wiring along the edge of the head liner down the A pillar and into the fuse box where you can grab power from a switched circuit. I've been running this setup for a couple of years now.

The next option is this:

It's a full Android box where you can install the MyQ Android app onto the box. The only catch is to provide cellular Internet, either you have to run your phone's hotspot where the CarlinkIT box will connect via WiFi or get a SIM card from a cellular provider that you have a data plan on to insert into the CarlinkIT box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently, you missed my thread on installing a Gentex mirror with Homelink.

(2) Installed Gentex auto dimming with Homelink mirror. | Toyota C-HR Forum (toyotachrforum.com)

For whatever reason, it appears Toyota deleted the inclusion of the auto dimming mirror after 2019. It made grabbing a power source real easy to run the Gentex mirror. But it's not a total show stopper. Gentex provides enough cabling for you to run the wiring along the edge of the head liner down the A pillar and into the fuse box where you can grab power from a switched circuit. I've been running this setup for a couple of years now.

The next option is this:

It's a full Android box where you can install the MyQ Android app onto the box. The only catch is to provide cellular Internet, either you have to run your phone's hotspot where the CarlinkIT box will connect via WiFi or get a SIM card from a cellular provider that you have a data plan on to insert into the CarlinkIT box.
I did see both those posts. I guess I'm not ready to start installing new hardware. I may get there. This whole thing is new to me. I expected there to be a garage transmitter as part of the car. Using a garage remote or the MyQ app on my phone isn't the end of the world. It just means looking for a thing as I'm returning home and need the door open. Same for closing the door. Google Assistant runs on my phone and does not integrate with the Toyota command system.

There's a lot of instruction for this and that. But most of it doesn't apply to the 2022. For example folks have downloaded Entune, Alexa, Toyota Apps, Scout, etc. I don't think any of those are better than Android Auto which is native. They were helpful in previous years. Am I right or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
It's not hard to install and I've already done the leg work for you with researching the adapter/hardware you would need to make it work. The electrical install is dead simple as it only requires a power source that is switched with the ignition. If you're not comfortable with wiring, you can at least have the mirror hardware installed and ready to go. Then hire a shop to do the wiring. This solution to me is the most reliable as it will work every time as the Homelink functionality is duplicating your garage door remotes.

The CarlinkIT requires ZERO hardware installation skills. It's a box where you connect it into the car's head unit via the USB port in the center console. The head unit will think it's a Car Play device when connected. Because the CarlinkIT runs full Android, you can install the regular MyQ app and not have the weird quirks you're having.

Also, I have two of the MyQ garage door units and have been using them for years. One is at my primary home and the other is at my vacation home. They're not without issues as occasionally, the system will malfunction due to loss of communication to the door sensor or the battery running low in the door sensor. I had to reset the the communication between the door sensor and the hub recently to restore functionality on one of the units. Until I did that, MyQ functionality for that garage door was zero.

Entune is a joke. It's Toyota's attempt to do their own Infotainment platform. Scout is their sorry excuse for a GPS app that is buggy and doesn't work well in practice. To add insult to injury, you have to pay for the Scout app after I think 3 years of use. Android Auto with Waze all the way over that junk. But full Android that I have with the CarlinkIT is leaps and bounds better than Android Auto.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not hard to install and I've already done the leg work for you with researching the adapter/hardware you would need to make it work. The electrical install is dead simple as it only requires a power source that is switched with the ignition. If you're not comfortable with wiring, you can at least have the mirror hardware installed and ready to go. Then hire a shop to do the wiring. This solution to me is the most reliable as it will work every time as the Homelink functionality is duplicating your garage door remotes.

The CarlinkIT requires ZERO hardware installation skills. It's a box where you connect it into the car's head unit via the USB port in the center console. The head unit will think it's a Car Play device when connected. Because the CarlinkIT runs full Android, you can install the regular MyQ app and not have the weird quirks you're having.

Also, I have two of the MyQ garage door units and have been using them for years. One is at my primary home and the other is at my vacation home. They're not without issues as occasionally, the system will malfunction due to loss of communication to the door sensor or the battery running low in the door sensor. I had to reset the the communication between the door sensor and the hub recently to restore functionality on one of the units. Until I did that, MyQ functionality for that garage door was zero.

Entune is a joke. It's Toyota's attempt to do their own Infotainment platform. Scout is their sorry excuse for a GPS app that is buggy and doesn't work well in practice. To add insult to injury, you have to pay for the Scout app after I think 3 years of use. Android Auto with Waze all the way over that junk. But full Android that I have with the CarlinkIT is leaps and bounds better than Android Auto.
OK. I'll look into the CarlinkIT box. I plug that into the USB port instead of my phone. Then the MyQ app is an option on the dash display and will show the same way it currently does on my phone - Right?

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
OK. I'll look into the CarlinkIT box. I plug that into the USB port instead of my phone. Then the MyQ app is an option on the dash display and will show the same way it currently does on my phone - Right?
That's correct. I have a few apps I'm running on the box such as Youtube, Plex, Waze, and some apps for radio stations I want to hear programming on that are out of my coverage area. You install the apps the same as you would on any Android phone through the Play Store that is pre-installed.

The box will also work with Android Auto where you would pair your phone to the box in that manner. I never got either of my S8 and S9 phones to work. Also through some quirkiness with Bluetooth pairing with the head unit for phone calls versus just doing music through the box from songs saved on my phone, I had to do all of it through the CarlinkIT box. There is a noticeable delay between you talking and the other person hearing you (and vice versa). It can make some conversations challenging as it seems you're talking over each other....similar to how there's a delay with reporters talking to each over satellite. I might revisit this again to see if I can get my phone paired up correctly to my head unit just for phone calls and keep everything else working that I love with the CarlinkIT.

I bought mine from Amazon where there's a free return policy. You might want to do that so if it doesn't work the way you'd like, you can return it with no issues.

Even with the phone call quirk, I'm still very happy with the CarlinkIT and use it constantly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts