Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have 37,000 miles on my 2018 xls. A few months ago I started to hear a "whining" noise coming from what sounded like, maybe, the front right tire. It's still there and seems to be getting worse. Now, it seems that it is also evident coming from the left side of the car. I'm still on the stock tires but they appear OK to my untrained eye. Tread seems deep enuff and no obvious feathering. Not sure where else the sound could be coming from. Anyone else having issues like this? Is 37k end of life for these tires or might someone have any other thoughts?
Thanx for any input...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Interesting, not happening with mine so far. Will keep an ear open and do update us once you figure it out

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well kids. Just got a call from the local Toyota service department. This thing needs a new tranny. Sounds scary to me going forward with a vehicle with 36,000 miles. Might just have to ditch it before it's too late. Thoughts?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow...already??? Mines at around 40k km and it sometimes gets stuck with high RPM until i let go of the gas and then it shifts and goes back to normal

And now I am praying that if it has to, it better break while still under warranty

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well kids. Just got a call from the local Toyota service department. This thing needs a new tyranny. Sounds scary to me going forward with a vehicle with 36,000 miles. Might just have to ditch it before it's too late. Thoughts?
That's scary as heck. Hopefully just one random bad lemon?!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sho23...tbh i have a feeling mine will fail at some point too. The way gears get stuck with high rpm and i have to let go off gas to force it to change the gear and adjust rpm, suggests that the transmission is piece of junk to begin with. I googled this and found couple reported transmission failure incidents. So there's something about this that breaks

·
Super Moderator
327 Posts
These transmissions don't have gears as they're CVTs (continuously variable transmission). It's a steel belt which provides the transfer of power between the output/crank shaft and the final drive. The output shaft and final drive are variable pulleys. These pulleys are made up of two pieces which form a V shaped channel. The pieces slide in and out to adjust the width of the V. The steel belt sits inside of this V. As the width of the V adjusts the belt moves up or down in this channel. This action simulates different gear ratios. The movement of the halves of the pulley are controlled by hydraulic pressure. So the "shifting" you're feeling seeing is all simulated. This was done because people didn't bother to understand how CVTs operated and why they're different than a geared automatic transmission. People kept complaining to their dealerships about what they thought was the trans being stuck in gear. A CVT without the simulated gear shifts would just keep the engine RPMs at the optimal part of the power band constantly. So from a dead stop, the engine RPMs will just rise and hold at a certain point while your speed keeps picking up.

What I've described above is how all CVTs operate no matter which manufacturer. The new Corollas have a hybrid transmission where they have a physical first gear. Our transmissions are made by a Toyota subsidiary called Aisin. While this reported failure is a bit disconcerting, it's by no means the same concern I would have if our trans were made by Jatco. Jatco is Nissan's transmission subsidiary. It's well known Jatco CVTs are ticking time bombs and have been for years.

About 6 months ago, I noticed my trans was "shifting" a little rough. But it was brief and hasn't done so since. These transmissions are "sealed" units which are supposed to have "lifetime" trans fluid. So no maintenance intervals. But I plan on having the fluid changed in my trans around 30k miles. I normally would do this service myself but the procedure to do the trans fluid is quite involved. The fluid refill requires the trans oil to be at a certain temperature. So the car has to be level and running while you're filling the trans. At the rate I'm going, it'll be some time this year I'll need to have the service done. I'm at a bit over 21k miles now and I've owned my car for just over a year. We'll have to see how things go with the reliability of these trans. Fortunately, we do have a 5 year 60k mile drivetrain warranty.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm sitting at about 22k miles myself, will be paying closer attention to the transmission noise as we get closer to Zeus' 30kish. Hopefully it's not a common issue.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fantastic! Just received a call from Toyota. Not only does the transmission need replaced, NOW the torque convertor as well. I'm not a mechanic... What does this thing do and is it common to replace both when a tranny goes bad? Any info would be greatly appreciated... Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
327 Posts
Instead of a clutch found in manual transmissions, a torque converter is used in automatic transmissions. Power is transmitted from the crank shaft to the flexplate which is where the torque converter is mounted. The torque converter is filled with auto trans fluid which is the medium used to transmit power to the input shaft of the transmission. This is why in the early days automatic transmissions had worse fuel economy than manual transmissions. There is some power loss through the trans fluid in the torque converter.

If your torque converter needs to be replaced, this means your trans failed in a manner where metal got into the torque converter as the trans fluid in the CVT is shared with the torque converter. With the scope of damage we're talking about, I'm surprised the transmission didn't just fail stranding you. I'd be curious as to what failed in the trans to cause all the damage. The dealer is probably not going to tear apart trans. But I bet you that trans and torque converter is going to go back to Toyota corporate for further examination.

·
Premium Member
2018 CHR
7 Posts
Hi - I have the whining noise in my engine. I thought it was my tires at first but then after see this website, understand that it is really the engine. I made an appointment for this morning. Just received a phone call that my transmission and torque converter will be replaced all free of charge including a free rental car. I am at 52,000 and will be 2 years into the basic warranty. I do have the platinum warranty on my car too. Thanks to everyone who posted here. I printed off a copy of this for the technicians. Toyota subcontracted transmission work to another company so they specialized in transmissions work. The parts are coming from Chicago. I live in Minnesota. The transmission company and Toyota service staff had never heard this noise before now. Thanks for all your help on this one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow, I just pushed 20k miles on my 2018 (weekend/random driver). Not looking forward to hear about others having tranny issues. The tranny on the CHR must be like my daily runner (2018 Rav4 XLE) - a farking pain to perform a drain/fill on.
I have seen the procedure for the 4.4 rav4 on Youtube and it was not easy.

·
Super Moderator
327 Posts
Wow, I just pushed 20k miles on my 2018 (weekend/random driver). Not looking forward to hear about others having tranny issues. The tranny on the CHR must be like my daily runner (2018 Rav4 XLE) - a farking pain to perform a drain/fill on.
I have seen the procedure for the 4.4 rav4 on Youtube and it was not easy.
Yes, it is a pain. You have to have a scan tool which can read the trans temperature. The fill procedure requires the trans to be at a certain temp to get the proper level. I'm at 33k miles and contemplating having a fluid/filter service in the next 10k miles even though the trans has "lifetime" fluid and is a "sealed" trans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought my daughter a 2018 in 2017 and at 91,000 miles recently developed humming noise which increased with speed. Dealer said needs transmission and quoted almost $9,000.
Took it to transmission place I use for my Chevy trucks and they found it was a carrier bearing (in the CVS transmission unit).
5 weeks later after parts shipments from Turkey and Hong Kong, car is running great. Paid $3,500 with 1 yr. 12,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my daughter a 2018 in 2017 and at 91,000 miles recently developed humming noise which increased with speed. Dealer said needs transmission and quoted almost $9,000.
Took it to transmission place I use for my Chevy trucks and they found it was a carrier bearing (in the CVS transmission unit).
5 weeks later after parts shipments from Turkey and Hong Kong, car is running great. Paid $3,500 with 1 yr. 12,000 mile warranty.
Are you in Texas, and if so, where did you take yours? I took my to the dealership while it was still under warranty and they said it way road noise. Four month later and out of warranty, new transmission.

·
Super Moderator
327 Posts
Are you in Texas, and if so, where did you take yours? I took my to the dealership while it was still under warranty and they said it way road noise. Four month later and out of warranty, new transmission.
Did the dealer charge you for the repair? If so, I would fight it. You already have on record a service ticket complaining about the noise while under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did the dealer charge you for the repair? If so, I would fight it. You already have on record a service ticket complaining about the noise while under warranty.
The dealer sent it to Toyota for review. I should know something on Monday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, Corpus Christi.

Aamco Transmission, but not all places actually have a rebuilder on site.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts