Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum.
I own a 2018 chr xle and used Tanable lowering springs with 20 inch wheels.
mu question is , what has anyone else done to lower their vehicle. I like the springs and looks lot better than stock but not low enough for me.
Any suggestions as to which springs will lower the car more? Want the fender lip on the edge of tire. The set up I have will not rub any kind of way.
My next step will be to look at an air system to get the stance i'm looking for.
Here is a pic to look at and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Sky Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
28 Posts
New to this forum.
mu question is , what has anyone else done to lower their vehicle. I like the springs and looks lot better than stock but not low enough for me.
Any suggestions as to which springs will lower the car more? Want the fender lip on the edge of tire. The set up I have will not rub any kind of way.
My next step will be to look at an air system to get the stance i'm looking for.
Here is a pic to look at and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 6354
Go coilover route so you can go lower.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes, the coilover route is best if you want to go lower. I hope the roads in your area are glass smooth.

·
Registered
2020 C-HR 1.8 litre engine, Hybrid, Japanese factory build.
7 Posts
Of course, if you go lower, you will no longer have a C-HR, it will be a C-LR! :giggle:

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
The suggestion to go coil over brings about another consideration that is missing in this discussion of using lowering springs. You have to address the struts/shocks. By shrinking the height of the springs, you affect the amount of travel available for the stock spec struts and springs. Those need to be changed to maintain proper suspension performance. By going coilovers, you're addressing both issues.

Reactions: RoLleRKoaSTeR

·
Registered
14 Posts
New to this forum.
Here is a pic to look at and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 6354
How has the ride changed with the springs? I've been looking at a few options. My concern is comfort. I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort for the sportier look and alleged better handling, but not a lot.

I know the other responses said go coilover but I think bags would be really neat if you're not trying to make it a track car. And I mean no disrespect to the other responses but for me (USDM C-HR) coilovers are a bit aggressive for a car that has a CVT. lol

·
Registered
2021 Blizzard Pearl Nightshade C-HR
42 Posts
As stated above, you get what you pay for.
A lowering spring is the cheapest route and will give you a lowered look, but you will sacrifice a lot of ride quality due to compressing the shocks more than what they were intended to be riden at.
A good coil over set will run you about $1k and will give you the best ride height/ride quality there is because the shocks are at their full capacity no matter where you set the coils. Does t matter if you track, or daily drive, this is the best set up on good roads.
A bag set up will cost the most, and look great sitting still, but you still have to raise it to "normal" height while driving and is the better set up on crappy roads due to being able to raise the vehicle to clear obstacles. Ride is still decent, but you do lose of of the factory softness.
So really all comes down to how much you wanna pay to look good honestly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
"but you will sacrifice a lot of ride quality due to compressing the shocks more than what they were intended to be riden at."

So I'm curious to understand more about this piece. Toyota offers TRD springs that advertises an approximate 1" lowering on both front and back and how they're "tuned to work with OEM shocks." I assume then the comfort should mostly still be there (perhaps an overly optimistic assumption), so then at what point would it become too much of an issue? Seems the post creator wants to go REALLY low (3+ inches) so I can definitely understand OEM shocks not performing as intended. And really my question is rhetorical because there's no real way for me to know unless I feel it myself, but I am curious about everyone's lowering setup and their honest opinion about it. Made a post about it...hopefully not too redundant of this one.

·
Registered
2021 Blizzard Pearl Nightshade C-HR
42 Posts
Ok, so just throwing out numbers here because I really don't know the true numbers.
Say your shocks have a full compression of 12".
You car is made to ride at the 6" compressed mark.
Now you have 6" of travel in both directions.
You now add a set of lowering springs, so now you sit at the 4"-5" mark.
Now when you hit a bump, you only have 4"-5" of travel in, and 7"-8" of outwards travel.
You'll bottom out quicker and could possibly blow a shock.

Other models in the past used to come or be highly recommended that you purchase the TRD shocks with the springs. The shocks would also be 1" shorter. At least that's how it was with the old Scions. They'll still sell you just the springs, but I'm willing to bet if you brought it in because of an issue they would use the, "well, you not running the correct shocks" excuse.
Just my 2 cents. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to this forum.
How much are you lowered in this picture? I've just bought some Avalon/Camry TRD 19 inch rims and I'll soon be in the same boat, ride height wise. From the looks of this picture maybe another inch would be perfect for what I'm looking for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts