Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the service manual, it states to not use the original caliper bolts to reassemble the brake caliper. I have seen video where new bolts are used. I should ask the service department as to "why". Strange that even my Rav4 does not state this (no loctite on them when I did mine last winter).

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I've never replaced the caliper mounting bolts on any of the brake jobs I've done. The only reason I can think of is if the bolts are aluminum bolts that are of the stretch bolt type. These are one time use only. Where you see these types of bolts are with head bolts where these bolts secure the head to the engine block.

I'll be doing a brake job on my car soon; at least the rears. I'll examine the bolts when I do the job.

As a side note, I never ever turn/machine rotors. You should never need to. Machining the rotor removes metal from the rotor making the rotor much weaker and more susceptible to warping as the metal removed lowers the heat capacity of the rotor. I only replace rotors when there are signs it needs replacing. Otherwise, I throw on a set of new pads and leave the rotors in place.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts