Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh boy. Love this car but now have a transmission failure and a very costly replace- no fix offered. Seems to be a problem across the model 2018-2021. Fighting to get Toyota to do the replacement as it is their defective part causing the problem. This CVT transmission seem to be a very problematic transmission- lots of noise about it elsewhere. Toyota needs to stand by their vow to support their customers. Its right in their mission statement.

· Super Moderator
2021 Toyota C-HR XLE in Blizzrd Pearl
96 Posts
well mine is a 2018 with 74,000 miles on it. Yes I believe this car came from Turkey.
best go get it inspected and flush the fluid before anything happens.

I know we're not supposed to have to do any maintenance on these trannis, but 2018s were different. I wonder if that was the first year these were manufactured in Turkey. I'm sure that's googleable...but I'm lazy lol.

· Premium Member
524 Posts
best go get it inspected and flush the fluid before anything happens.

I know we're not supposed to have to do any maintenance on these trannis, but 2018s were different. I wonder if that was the first year these were manufactured in Turkey. I'm sure that's googleable...but I'm lazy lol.
There is no evidence of the engines or transmissions being manufactured in Turkey. If you have this information, please bring it forward. I've done my own searching and Aisin, which is the transmission subsidiary of Toyota, has listed zero manufacturing of transmissions in Turkey. Many of our cars are ASSEMBLED in Turkey which means many of the parts come from else where. My understanding is the more recent C-HRs are now manufactured/assembled in Japan.

With any trans it is a good idea to have fluid services at proper intervals regardless of what the manufacturer states. Especially CVTs. I've put up supporting evidence as to why fluid services are necessary for CVTs in the bigger thread of transmissions failures.

· Super Moderator
2021 Toyota C-HR XLE in Blizzrd Pearl
96 Posts
There is no evidence of the engines or transmissions being manufactured in Turkey. If you have this information, please bring it forward. I've done my own searching and Aisin, which is the transmission subsidiary of Toyota, has listed zero manufacturing of transmissions in Turkey. Many of our cars are ASSEMBLED in Turkey which means many of the parts come from else where. My understanding is the more recent C-HRs are now manufactured/assembled in Japan.

With any trans it is a good idea to have fluid services at proper intervals regardless of what the manufacturer states. Especially CVTs. I've put up supporting evidence as to why fluid services are necessary for CVTs in the bigger thread of transmissions failures.
every post I have read about tranny issues, they all have 2018s from Turkey. I have also read posts from people that have 2018s from Turkey and have not had tranny issues....

· Premium Member
524 Posts
every post I have read about tranny issues, they all have 2018s from Turkey. I have also read posts from people that have 2018s from Turkey and have not had tranny issues....
But my statement stands. The information I've found indicates none of the powertrain components are manufactured in Turkey. Only the assembly and some body parts are done in Turkey. Being that the C-HR at that time was pretty new, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the transmission internals have undergone some sort of revision/upgrade. All manufacturers do this and why the recommendation is always made to NOT buy a first model year vehicle. As any bugs in the platform are usually taken care of in subsequent model years.

· Premium Member
524 Posts
wish it WAS manufactured in Japan though, lol. But I don't have anything wrong with it so far....shouldn't only 6k miles into its life
The place of manufacture isn't really as important as how the manufacturer sets quality control. There are plenty of examples of made in Japan components being total junk. While it doesn't happen often, there are examples. Nissan with their CVT transmissions from their subsidiary Jatco have been legendary for being total junk. I'm hoping Jatco has finally gotten their act together as my mom has a Nissan Rogue Sport with a Jatco CVT. She preferred getting a Toyota but with this stupid supply chain situation, she couldn't wait. She's one of the few that actually needed a car because her Jeep Liberty's engine took a total dump. So she needed a car ASAP. The Nissan she got, I managed to help her get it at MSRP.

The main thing with any CVT regardless of what the manufacturer or the dealer says is to have regular fluid changes. Don't tempt fate with these things. I've talked ad nauseum on here about how a CVT works and why it's important to get the fluid changes done. And we've seen how much a new trans costs.

I'm closing in on 90k miles and still on the original transmission.

Reactions: joeprocopio

· Registered
5 Posts
2018 Toyota CHR .. Transmission noise and out of warranty. This needs to get to the media ! There are problems all over North America with this car and it is not right ! Toyota needs to show some ownership to this problem !
i absolutely agree 1000% my 2018 Toyota chR has been making whiny noise so I had 3 mechanics look at it and they all say the same thing it’s the transmission and I’m only at 58,000 miles and I’ve only had the car for a little over a year and I’m 38 and finally after all these years I have finally gotten financed and approved for a new car it’s my very first car purchase of its nature being semi new and this has to happen I mean I’ve already signed a petition for Toyota to recall these things but clearly didn’t do any good and my faith in Toyota has and now was always high but not anymore and it goes without saying that they are totally going to lose so much respect and so many exsisting customers and now-any future customers. I’m just appalled this is happening to so many people in this world and it’s time for the media to get involved and expose these-scammers it’s not like they are going to make-even any dent in there profits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts