Toyota C-HR Forum banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder if those with transmission problems were "abusing" the transmission. :unsure: (Seen several videos about how to properly use a CVT)
Any information on what part is exactly failing???

The K114 transmission is different in some way than the Corolla transmission (which had a recall), but still in the "K" group. Anyone have more information about the details of the C-HR transmission? I could not get much information from the Toyota Service department.
Check russian forums its mostly the bearing that is really hard to get. They also describe a few types of transmissions there, k114F is not that bad at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, you are probably right .
I find it difficult to understand why there aren't any complaints in Europe about this. It seems mostly US and Canada users claim issues, and since I am in Europe, I was hoping to find out there is a spec difference that could explain it. I am stil afraid to purchase a CHR, as the costs to replace a CVT are significant.
They are complaints in Europe but nobody gets help, in Poland most of the New cars are leased, warranty is for 3 years, and nobody gives a shi.t, after 3 years of leasing you give it back to dealership and take another new one, and somebody buys it off the dealer with one year warranty up to 20.000PLN. The Policy- Warranty id still not enough to cover a gearbox which is sold here for about 37k PLN.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2018 Toyota CHR making the same noise everyone is describing. A whining noise that gets louder with speed. Then it started making almost like a grinding noise when I would let off the gas and coast. It has 68,000 miles I called the dealership and expressed my concern. They said they were booked and couldn’t get me in for over a month. I asked about any being covered by warranty if it is the transmission. They said I was out of luck it’s past the warranty. I went and traded it this weekend. I couldn’t justify putting the $9,000 I’m hearing this cost into the car. Thankfully used car trade in are high right now. But so are used car prices. I guess I’ll never know if it was the transmission but I didn’t want to find out.
Hey there! Wow am I glad to have found this entire thread. Basically I had a severe whining/humming/loud noise coming from my 2018 CHR, with just having clocked 74,000 miles. Just started few weeks ago, finally had it looked at and the mechanic said they suspected a wheel bearing at first but after further inspection decided it was actually coming from transmission instead. I ended up trading it in as well because I too was not about to put a new transmission in a 4 year old car for $10,000. Question - did you trade yours into a dealer? Wondering if they acknowledged the noise and if they still gave you a good trade in price because of it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI, the transmission in my 2018 C-HR XLE has failed and was replaced (under warranty) in February 2020 with just over 36,000 miles. First indication that something was wrong was hearing a whining noise coming from the front end. If anyone else is or has experienced this problem, please let me know. I'm getting some feedback that this might be a known flaw in this vehicle... Not happy.
Had my 2018 CHR in at Toyota for a whine noise, I've been a Tech for Chevy For 40 years ASE And gm Certify RETIRED. I New that the CVT trans was bad called Toyota ask them for assistance to no avail. They know that the trans is junk only way is to replace it at a cost of 9200 at Centennial Toyota in Vegas. Vehicle should been Under recall..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had my 2018 CHR in at Toyota for a whine noise, I've been a Tech for Chevy For 40 years ASE And gm Certify RETIRED. I New that the CVT trans was bad called Toyota ask them for assistance to no avail. They know that the trans is junk only way is to replace it at a cost of 9200 at Centennial Toyota in Vegas. Vehicle should been Under recall..
I only get a whining noise on P, D,R when the car is stopped. Went to a dealer, got an answer that its normal even after replacement for a new one when the engine is hot. Last tuesday by a surprise, i pushed the exhaust in the back towards the front of the car, silence...
The taxis in Warsaw they drive Priuses with K113, 700000km.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They are complaints in Europe but nobody gets help, in Poland most of the New cars are leased, warranty is for 3 years, and nobody gives a shi.t, after 3 years of leasing you give it back to dealership and take another new one, and somebody buys it off the dealer with one year warranty up to 20.000PLN. The Policy- Warranty id still not enough to cover a gearbox which is sold here for about 37k PLN.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I just found out today I also need a whole new transmission in my 2018 chr. It is at 63,000 miles and Toyota so far has refused to cover it due to it being just outside the warranty. After reading this thread I will be pursuing a civil lawsuit as clearly this is a known issue they have not taken responsibility for. Please let me know if you are interested in pursuing this with me. Thank you.
Any luck with this so far?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took my 2018 C-HR to the dealer 82,094 and they said the transmission needs replaced and the dealer is not willing to help even though I took mine in around 50,238 for a whining noise under the hood and they said "diagnosed tires." I complained at that 50K mark about a whining noise coming from under the hood and the acted not all that concerned and just said to replace the tires. Whining noise was not that loud but still there so I was not concerned because the dealer did not act concerned. The noise then got louder (much louder) so I took it to a local auto mechanic and said that the sound was indeed coming from the transmission. Toyota is not willing to do anything because I didn't continue to complain about the issue the other two times after my initial complaint. Even so if I would have the car would have been out of warranty. Currently have my sister involved who is a lawyer to try to get this covered. We shall see. I have already filed a complaint with the NHTSA and will be filing with the BBB and FTC as well. I have counted at least 26 others on this forum with the same issue. If you have needed the transmission replaced can you please respond to my post? I wondering how many people we can gather.

Maybe a class action?
Any progress with class action?

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI, the transmission in my 2018 C-HR XLE has failed and was replaced (under warranty) in February 2020 with just over 36,000 miles. First indication that something was wrong was hearing a whining noise coming from the front end. If anyone else is or has experienced this problem, please let me know. I'm getting some feedback that this might be a known flaw in this vehicle... Not happy.
Toyota has now replaced the transmission in my 2018 CH-R XLE twice! First was at 51k recently at 71k not even a year later. Apparently this is an issue with any vehicles manufactured in their Turkey facility. I have now filed a claim with corporate to buy the car back and I’m waiting for a response.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Toyota has now replaced the transmission in my 2018 CH-R XLE twice! First was at 51k recently at 71k not even a year later. Apparently this is an issue with any vehicles manufactured in their Turkey facility. I have now filed a claim with corporate to buy the car back and I’m waiting for a response.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Yikes! This is horrible news Atater! So far, I've only had to replace mine once. I'm at 64k right now (with one payment remaining) and obviously out of warranty.
So they replaced it under warranty the second time?
Please keep us updated as to how Toyota handles this situation.

·
Registered
384 Posts
How do we check if our transmission was made in the Turkey facilities?

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I know the 2019 US (maybe all of North America cars) were all made in the Turkey assembly plant. Take note of assembly. I highly doubt the trans were manufactured there. Nor the engines. A search on Aisin's website shows listings of the auto trans being developed and manufactured at various facilities in Asia. The only listing I saw for Turkey is the manufacture of various body parts.

As a point of reference to the topic of this thread concerning reliability. My 2019 is crossed over 81,000 miles showing no issues so far.

·
Registered
384 Posts
this is quite the nerve-wracking situation lol. I'm at 36k miles, and I probably will do the trans fluid like you keep mentioning. Probably will grab a sample and send it in the lab, see if they see any metal shavings :O

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
this is quite the nerve-wracking situation lol. I'm at 36k miles, and I probably will do the trans fluid like you keep mentioning. Probably will grab a sample and send it in the lab, see if they see any metal shavings :O
That's what I would do. While I don't doubt there are those that are having genuine defects with their transmissions, I don't buy that this is epidemic. Just see how quickly word spread through various online car media outlets about the issues with Nissan's Jatco CVTs. There's none of that going on with the Aisin/Toyota CVTs in these cars.

I'm still holding to my premise that the vast majority of the failures are probably due to lack of fluid maintenance. And also some possible abuse. I'm not saying this for sure. But with many thinking the C-HR is a performance car and seeking power mods, I wouldn't be surprised that the cars have been beat on .

101 - 120 of 125 Posts