Toyota C-HR Forum banner
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Wow!! Good to hear! Hopefully, this is an indication Toyota corporate has acknowledged that there is a significant issue in their product that could cause them poor media attention and/or a class action suit and, perhaps, persuade them to be proactive before it becomes viral.
Are you listening TOYOTA?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, very good news.
I still like to see exactly what is causing the "noise" - I would put money on those bearings like the K114 videos described. As for why the torque converter at at the same time??? Any idea? Is it a remedial issue? Tranny and TC has to match?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow!! Good to hear! Hopefully, this is an indication Toyota corporate has acknowledged that there is a significant issue in their product that could cause them poor media attention and/or a class action suit and, perhaps, persuade them to be proactive before it becomes viral.
Are you listening TOYOTA?
Thanks, Zeus. I worked in the automotive industry for about 25 years and will let my friends know at Toyota.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, very good news.
I still like to see exactly what is causing the "noise" - I would put money on those bearings like the K114 videos described. As for why the torque converter at at the same time??? Any idea? Is it a remedial issue? Tranny and TC has to match?
Believe it is remedial. Tranny and TC need to come out and best to replace both.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks, Zeus. I worked in the automotive industry for about 25 years and will let my friends know at Toyota.
Hopefully Toyota won't do a "Gigabyte power supply" job with this issue -
Look at Gamers Nexus' video on Gigabyte's exploding power supplies.

Wish there was more videos about the K114 transmission. Not just the Russian/Odessa videos...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Morning all! Sorry to hear about the issues as I just went through the same thing. Had corporate and the dealer involved with my attorney and no budging on their part and totally unwilling to help! I will be suing Toyota and the dealer for the value of trade in I got vs what I should have received or could have received. Thank you for posting and I hope it turns out better for you than it did for me. If they don't help then I suggest turning to an attorney to help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would probably put my money on the Turkish made K114 transmissions. Even if they got some "award", there is something going on with the K114 CVT. I think it may be the bearings on the variator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, you are probably right .
I find it difficult to understand why there aren't any complaints in Europe about this. It seems mostly US and Canada users claim issues, and since I am in Europe, I was hoping to find out there is a spec difference that could explain it. I am stil afraid to purchase a CHR, as the costs to replace a CVT are significant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FYI, the transmission in my 2018 C-HR XLE has failed and was replaced (under warranty) in February 2020 with just over 36,000 miles. First indication that something was wrong was hearing a whining noise coming from the front end. If anyone else is or has experienced this problem, please let me know. I'm getting some feedback that this might be a known flaw in this vehicle... Not happy.
Taking mine in Saturday for the same noise! Over the phone dealer says it probably just needs a transmission update. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Between the electrical issues and now this…. Bye bye CHR!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, there - did you take a video of the whining noise? I have this noise in my 2018 CHR and have an appointment on Monday to have it checked out. I am printing out the reported replacements of the transmission and torque converter for the mechanic so he as see what I'm talking about. Toyota does not have a recall at this time on the transmission or torque convertor. I have 52,000 miles on my car and still under warranty plus I have the platinum warranty too.
Same here!!! 57,000.00 miles and platinum warranty! We take ours in Saturday for the same noise

·
Registered
6 Posts
Took my 2018 C-HR to the dealer 82,094 and they said the transmission needs replaced and the dealer is not willing to help even though I took mine in around 50,238 for a whining noise under the hood and they said "diagnosed tires." I complained at that 50K mark about a whining noise coming from under the hood and the acted not all that concerned and just said to replace the tires. Whining noise was not that loud but still there so I was not concerned because the dealer did not act concerned. The noise then got louder (much louder) so I took it to a local auto mechanic and said that the sound was indeed coming from the transmission. Toyota is not willing to do anything because I didn't continue to complain about the issue the other two times after my initial complaint. Even so if I would have the car would have been out of warranty. Currently have my sister involved who is a lawyer to try to get this covered. We shall see. I have already filed a complaint with the NHTSA and will be filing with the BBB and FTC as well. I have counted at least 26 others on this forum with the same issue. If you have needed the transmission replaced can you please respond to my post? I wondering how many people we can gather.

Maybe a class action?
Taking mine in this Saturday … 57,000 mile 2018 same noise!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Taking mine in this Saturday … 57,000 mile 2018 same noise!
I have a 2018 CHR, I have only taken it to the dealer for any and all maintenance. We bought the extended warranty to 75k. At 60k we asked our service rep if anything needed done to the transmission, nope no maintenance till 120k. I now have 80k took it in for an oil change and the rep said your transmission is bad. It’s going to be $8550 to replace. WHAT, I only owe 8,000. Needless to say I was angry. We love Toyota and have had several. This car was to be for my daughter who is only 14 but will be paid off and perfect for her when she’s 16. I called the Toyota Care number and 3 days and 4 hours later they sent the claim back to my dealer.
The dealer called and said we will do a good faith inspection and let you know. They called today and said Toyota Corporate will pay half. I’m like still if they are willing to do that they must know it’s time for a recall. So I’m stuck paying half and honestly whose got that cash just laying around not many people. I asked for a rental till it’s fixed on their dime and again they said ok. Now here’s the real question, if the transmission is bad should I not have been alerted by the car in some way? No lights, no pulling or vibration, just the service guys saying yep there’s a faint whining noise, I’ve heard it before. Come on Toyota do the right thing. RECALL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good question that I did not ask. It was originally diagnosed with a faulty transmission (which was replaced) then, a week later (as it was still in the shop), they informed me that the torque convertor needed replaced as well. I was under the impression (google search) that if one goes bad, the other needs to be replaced as well due to metal shaving contamination. I am not mechanically inclined so I guess that I didn't know the right questions to ask...

As a technician myself I would NEVER replace just a transmission for failure.
Filings can get through the whole hydraulic system.
Torque converter ALWAYS!

2018 CH-R Mica Green/ White (Wifes car) 160,000 km (99000mi whined off and on for almost a year, never made the sound when I wanted it checked, shifted (If you can call it that) fine
Parked for almost 1 year as It is great advertising at my shop for Toyota CVT Transmissions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply... So I’m looking at roughly $8250. 🤦🏻‍♂️ The car is less than 2 years old and if it were in perfect mechanical shape it would be worth $12,000... according to KBB. So we can pretty much call it totaled.
I can officially say this is the worst purchase I have ever made. Funny thing is I am driving my 2005 Toyota Tacoma right now and it has 290,000 miles on it with the original transmission & motor. I assumed the CHR was going to at least get me half of that. That’s what I get for thinking.
There is obviously a defect in these transmissions and I am certain we will start seeing a ton of CH-R’s start dropping like flies!
And this was my point with Toyota Canada, to sink another 10,000 into a 12 to16000 dollar car.
Bought new hoping that I wouldn't have any grief for at least 5 years. I have Toyota customers that have over 400,000 km and never so much as touched the transmissions.
My hope was that Toyota would at least have a better CVT than say....Ford.. Another lemon transmission.

·
Registered
18 Posts
FYI, the transmission in my 2018 C-HR XLE has failed and was replaced (under warranty) in February 2020 with just over 36,000 miles. First indication that something was wrong was hearing a whining noise coming from the front end. If anyone else is or has experienced this problem, please let me know. I'm getting some feedback that this might be a known flaw in this vehicle... Not happy.
Mine just started doing it

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is because the European Domestic Market (EDM) of Toyota does not have the CVT nor the same engine as the US version C-HR.
We in Europe mostly have K114F type in Toyota Avensis and CHR's, I have an Avensis 2018 2.0 cvt, hissing noise when parked and changing from p to d r n, what dealer said - when this noise is during driving theres a problem, when parked no worries, however i dont believe them fully. Also a story about them bastards repacing the new trannies and getting same noise when parked from the start. The case is in Toyota Motor Poland now, however I dont know many positive case, the transimission has to rally go down for them to replaced it.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts