Toyota C-HR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wonder if it is the Turkey-made transmission or is it something else? Strange that it is a bearing that is causing this. Not like Nissan CVT transmissions. What bearing is actually failing?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Hey snake!
I'm afraid that I never experienced the sound from outside the cabin so I can't say for certain.
If memory serves me correctly, it wouldn't have been prevalent at that speed (at least from inside) so, I wouldn't think so. But, it kinda, maybe, sorta sounded like that at a higher speed.
How many miles are on it?
Not much help I know.
Hope it's not in your cards...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey snake!
I'm afraid that I never experienced the sound from outside the cabin so I can't say for certain.
If memory serves me correctly, it wouldn't have been prevalent at that speed (at least from inside) so, I wouldn't think so. But, it kinda, maybe, sorta sounded like that at a higher speed.
How many miles are on it?
Not much help I know.
Hope it's not in your cards...
Hey man thanks for the response, so apparently my sound is normal for a hybrid car manufactured after 1st of January 2020 (i'm in Europe). It's a pedestrian warning system and to be honest is loud AF

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a 2018 Toyota CHR making the same noise everyone is describing. A whining noise that gets louder with speed. Then it started making almost like a grinding noise when I would let off the gas and coast. It has 68,000 miles I called the dealership and expressed my concern. They said they were booked and couldn’t get me in for over a month. I asked about any being covered by warranty if it is the transmission. They said I was out of luck it’s past the warranty. I went and traded it this weekend. I couldn’t justify putting the $9,000 I’m hearing this cost into the car. Thankfully used car trade in are high right now. But so are used car prices. I guess I’ll never know if it was the transmission but I didn’t want to find out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wonder if those with transmission problems were "abusing" the transmission. :unsure: (Seen several videos about how to properly use a CVT)
Any information on what part is exactly failing???

The K114 transmission is different in some way than the Corolla transmission (which had a recall), but still in the "K" group. Anyone have more information about the details of the C-HR transmission? I could not get much information from the Toyota Service department.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The torque convertor as well as the transmission is what was replaced in my 2018.
I guess I didn't know that there was a proper way to use the cvt. Was I doing something wrong?
Could you, in a nutshell, explain the difference in driving technique need for driving a cvt vs non-cvt please?

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI, the transmission in my 2018 C-HR XLE has failed and was replaced (under warranty) in February 2020 with just over 36,000 miles. First indication that something was wrong was hearing a whining noise coming from the front end. If anyone else is or has experienced this problem, please let me know. I'm getting some feedback that this might be a known flaw in this vehicle... Not happy.
So I brought mine in too because it was making a whining noise. It was the transmission. This is the diagnostics. Saying there's a batch of 2018 C-HR with certain vin numbers that have bad transmissions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Some good advice from this video:
How to Protect a CVT Transmission

I plan on having the transmission fluid changed (not flushed) at 30k miles.
I only have 25.8k miles on the C-HR now (weekend driver)
I have a 2018 RAV4 XLE that is my daily beater.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Thanx for the link roller...
It all sounds like good advice although, I don't believe that I do any of the things that he advises against and yet, I still failed at 35,000 miles.
Good info tho!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I still like to know the exact component in the K114 that is failing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
FYI, the transmission in my 2018 C-HR XLE has failed and was replaced (under warranty) in February 2020 with just over 36,000 miles. First indication that something was wrong was hearing a whining noise coming from the front end. If anyone else is or has experienced this problem, please let me know. I'm getting some feedback that this might be a known flaw in this vehicle... Not happy.
I also have a 2018 CHR and same thing. Started with a whine. Went in for an oil change. Now I need a new transmission 77k on mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just traded my chr in today because of the whining noise coming from the trans the car was at 86000 and somewhere around 50 to 60 k it went away and came back around 75 k ended up getting a RAV4 instead
Took my 2018 C-HR to the dealer 82,094 and they said the transmission needs replaced and the dealer is not willing to help even though I took mine in around 50,238 for a whining noise under the hood and they said "diagnosed tires." Did you get the trans fixed then trade in or just trade in as is? Just wondering because I am trying to weigh my options

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took my 2018 C-HR to the dealer 82,094 and they said the transmission needs replaced and the dealer is not willing to help even though I took mine in around 50,238 for a whining noise under the hood and they said "diagnosed tires." I complained at that 50K mark about a whining noise coming from under the hood and the acted not all that concerned and just said to replace the tires. Whining noise was not that loud but still there so I was not concerned because the dealer did not act concerned. The noise then got louder (much louder) so I took it to a local auto mechanic and said that the sound was indeed coming from the transmission. Toyota is not willing to do anything because I didn't continue to complain about the issue the other two times after my initial complaint. Even so if I would have the car would have been out of warranty. Currently have my sister involved who is a lawyer to try to get this covered. We shall see. I have already filed a complaint with the NHTSA and will be filing with the BBB and FTC as well. I have counted at least 26 others on this forum with the same issue. If you have needed the transmission replaced can you please respond to my post? I wondering how many people we can gather.

Maybe a class action?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My stepdaughter's 2018 CHR has the same whining problem. Took it to a very reputable Toyota repair shop - Karco in Orange, CA - and they diagnosed it right away as the tranny. It's at 63,400 miles and is now at Toyota of Orange where we bought it, waiting for their diagnosis. We already know what the problem is, but will wait to hear from them. I will show them this thread if there's pushback. David Wilson is a big dealer here in Orange County. Toyota doesn't need a class action suit, for sure. What I want to know is how do we find out what that VIN list is that shows which cars have bad transmissions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My stepdaughter's 2018 CHR has the same whining problem. Took it to a very reputable Toyota repair shop - Karco in Orange, CA - and they diagnosed it right away as the tranny. It's at 63,400 miles and is now at Toyota of Orange where we bought it, waiting for their diagnosis. We already know what the problem is, but will wait to hear from them. I will show them this thread if there's pushback. David Wilson is a big dealer here in Orange County. Toyota doesn't need a class action suit, for sure. What I want to know is how do we find out what that VIN list is that shows which cars have bad transmissions.
I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone have any information on this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seems that for the K114 transmission, this is NOT a rare problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toyota of Orange came through. The dealership got approval from its region and will cover the cost of replacing the tranny and torque conv. in my stepdaughter's C-HR. She was crying; finally, she got some good luck.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts