Toyota C-HR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
What year Rav? - Got a used-former-rental 2018 rav4 XLE with just over 40k miles --- put almost 21k miles since last December. I highly recommend Falken WIldpeak AT tires for the Rav4. The Michelin tires are junk.

/ on rav4world.com
//same username
///hey, slashies in threes
I got a 2020 rav4 le feels a lot better more room inside and has more power. love the way it drives

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ohh man, that sounds nasty! I mean, the car is rather new, 2 years old and only 38.000 miles, and already such a problem, that is not nice at all. Actually, I have mentioned some really dissapointing things related to the newer toyota cars. They are not as reliable as they were back in the day. I bought my son a 2019 corolla, and it has already got an issue with the suspension and the check engine icon popped up for already 2 times! That is nothing close to my 2005 rav4. That car is immortal. The only nasty problem was the ecm. After taking the rav4 ecu repair, it is running like a new car!

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI, the transmission in my 2018 C-HR XLE has failed and was replaced (under warranty) in February 2020 with just over 36,000 miles. First indication that something was wrong was hearing a whining noise coming from the front end. If anyone else is or has experienced this problem, please let me know. I'm getting some feedback that this might be a known flaw in this vehicle... Not happy.
I am having that problem, with my 2018

·
Registered
6 Posts
FYI, the transmission in my 2018 C-HR XLE has failed and was replaced (under warranty) in February 2020 with just over 36,000 miles. First indication that something was wrong was hearing a whining noise coming from the front end. If anyone else is or has experienced this problem, please let me know. I'm getting some feedback that this might be a known flaw in this vehicle... Not happy.
Yes !! Same here . I’m at the dealer now with a 9k bill for the transmission. I have an extended lifetime power train warranty but they are trying everything not to fix it

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 ch r,71950 miles,needs a cvt. Same bearing noise everyone else hears, extended warranty co. Trying to deny the claim, will update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, I just found out today I also need a whole new transmission in my 2018 chr. It is at 63,000 miles and Toyota so far has refused to cover it due to it being just outside the warranty. After reading this thread I will be pursuing a civil lawsuit as clearly this is a known issue they have not taken responsibility for. Please let me know if you are interested in pursuing this with me. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just filed a report with NHTSB. I URGE EVERYONE TO DO THIS WITH THIS CVT ISSUE, they only show a handful of complaints. Good luck EVERYONE!
Hi all, I just found out today I also need a whole new transmission in my 2018 chr. It is at 63,000 miles and Toyota so far has refused to cover it due to it being just outside the warranty. After reading this thread I will be pursuing a civil lawsuit as clearly this is a known issue they have not taken responsibility for. Please let me know if you are interested in pursuing this with me. Thank you.
Sure,I'm in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just filed a report with NHTSB. I URGE EVERYONE TO DO THIS WITH THIS CVT ISSUE, they only show a handful of complaints. Good luck EVERYONE!

Sure,I'm in.
I did the same! They open an investigation and the more complaints the better! Also contact the Federal Trade Commission and the BBB.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
I did the same! They open an investigation and the more complaints the better! Also contact the Federal Trade Commission and the BBB.
Do we have a direct link to this specific complaint to the nhtsb, ftc and bbb? I would gladly join you only to (hopefully) protect others from this failure (as I am the op and have already had mine replaced (under warranty)). I may also be party to the litigation effort previously mentioned. Ty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do we have a direct link to this specific complaint to the nhtsb, ftc and bbb? I would gladly join you only to (hopefully) protect others from this failure (as I am the op and have already had mine replaced (under warranty)). I may also be party to the litigation effort previously mentioned. Ty.
NHTSA Complaint # 11420076 (mine - might need to start a new one?)
1-888-327-4236

Federal Trade Commission: 135338178 (complaint against manufacturer)
1-877-382-4357

BBB I just went online and chose the dealership I've been working with:

·
Registered
5 Posts
NHTSA Complaint # 11420076 (mine - might need to start a new one?)
1-888-327-4236

Federal Trade Commission: 135338178 (complaint against manufacturer)
1-877-382-4357

BBB I just went online and chose the dealership I've been working with:
Update: I live in a fairly small town and I couldn't really find a lawyer near me who would take a class action (only one is Morgan and Morgan and they only do physical injuries), everyone else was civil lawsuit and even then they weren't that reputable. If someone else lives in a bigger city who could more easily pursue this that might be a better option. Toyota only offered me $2500 towards the $9000 repair cost and that was simply to promote "brand loyalty". I ended up trading it in for a Hyundai with more features and a better warranty (100k/5 year powertrain specifically). Good luck everyone, I hope they do right by these and send out a recall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will join you I to was just told I needed a new 9k transmission and it only has 71k ... Not happy!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes to all of the above! Just took mine in this morning and was told I need a new transmission..🤬 $9k

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone with the issue make a video if possible? Just to confirm the type of noise we should be looking for. I am getting around that mileage now on my 2018 and will take the car to dealership before i run out of warranty
I've been reading that some folk that still have the warranty are being denied the replacement...WTH?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The transmission is replaced at the same time as the torque converter because there is no available remanufactured tranny for the CHR available through Toyota. They sell the tranny with no torque inserted, you order the torque separate it will always be like this until a reman comes available. Not sure what's failing, sounds like bearing inside the transmission. I'm a service manager in Canada, we've done 3 so far all with 90km-106km.
Not good. Built in Turkey! Gwan!
After getting the bad news on my 3yr old CHR with only 71k miles I need a new transmission at $9k! WTH?! My last two Toyota's had 305k and $165k miles and just needed oil changes/tires...the Toyota mechanic then told me the CHR is made in Turkey with the crappiest metal for the motor/transmission hence the problem! Then the service guy told me whole pointing at the VIN plate.... Only buy a foreign car (Toyota, Honda, Nissan,Kia etc if it STARTS with a M or J...M is made in the USA and J is made in Japan.. He then said lean towards the J!
Does anyone happen to know if there is a Class Action suit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The transmission is replaced at the same time as the torque converter because there is no available remanufactured tranny for the CHR available through Toyota. They sell the tranny with no torque inserted, you order the torque separate it will always be like this until a reman comes available. Not sure what's failing, sounds like bearing inside the transmission. I'm a service manager in Canada, we've done 3 so far all with 90km-106km.
Not good. Built in Turkey! Gwan!
After one year, How many C-HR did you see having their CVT replaced? I bought mine 1 year ago and I would prefer selling it quickly if this issue is growing fast. Thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
my transmission on my 2018 chr at 63000 needs to be replced
Just had mine diagnosed yesterday, because it was making a high pitched humming sound in the engine too. Low and behold, the Transmission needs to be replaced. Good thing its still under warranty, so I dont have to pay a thing.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts