Toyota C-HR Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI, the transmission in my 2018 C-HR XLE has failed and was replaced (under warranty) in February 2020 with just over 36,000 miles. First indication that something was wrong was hearing a whining noise coming from the front end. If anyone else is or has experienced this problem, please let me know. I'm getting some feedback that this might be a known flaw in this vehicle... Not happy.
my transmission on my 2018 chr at 63000 needs to be replced

·
Registered
2 Posts
this vehicle while aesthetically pleasing - has a lot of issues. I am trying to find out how we get it tested for recall purposes and I have gotten the run around for the past 6 months now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
this vehicle while aesthetically pleasing - has a lot of issues. I am trying to find out how we get it tested for recall purposes and I have gotten the run around for the past 6 months now.
Toyota is having an "investigation" its been 2 weeks now and all they say is we cant promise you anything. so basically looks like im paying for a new transmission

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI, the transmission in my 2018 C-HR XLE has failed and was replaced (under warranty) in February 2020 with just over 36,000 miles. First indication that something was wrong was hearing a whining noise coming from the front end. If anyone else is or has experienced this problem, please let me know. I'm getting some feedback that this might be a known flaw in this vehicle... Not happy.

·
Premium Member
2018 CHR
7 Posts
Hi, there - did you take a video of the whining noise? I have this noise in my 2018 CHR and have an appointment on Monday to have it checked out. I am printing out the reported replacements of the transmission and torque converter for the mechanic so he as see what I'm talking about. Toyota does not have a recall at this time on the transmission or torque convertor. I have 52,000 miles on my car and still under warranty plus I have the platinum warranty too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Unfortunately, I did not record the "whining" noise. I had no idea that the sound indicated something as severe as a transmission failure so I didn't even consider it. I can only describe it as a high pitch noise whose pitch increased on acceleration. The noise was not present at idle. Hope this helps. What are the "reported replacements" that you are printing out? Is there a log out there that records this failure with our vehicle?

·
Premium Member
2018 CHR
7 Posts
Unfortunately, I did not record the "whining" noise. I had no idea that the sound indicated something as severe as a transmission failure so I didn't even consider it. I can only describe it as a high pitch noise whose pitch increased on acceleration. The noise was not present at idle. Hope this helps. What are the "reported replacements" that you are printing out? Is there a log out there that records this failure with our vehicle?
I'm going to record it. I am going to print out what people on here reported as there is no alerts lights or error codes in the car. I'm going to show the service manager what people with CHR whining noise are reporting that Toyota dealers are having to replace the transmission and the torque converter. My service manager called and said there is no recall on the transmissions or alert about this in the US.

·
Premium Member
2018 CHR
7 Posts
I'm going to record it. I am going to print out what people on here reported as there is no alerts lights or error codes in the car. I'm going to show the service manager what people with CHR whining noise are reporting that Toyota dealers are having to replace the transmission and the torque converter. My service manager called and said there is no recall on the transmissions or alert about this in the US.
My noise is exactly how you describe it. It doesn't do it at idle but gets louder as I accelerate. It is really loud at 55 miles per hour. At first I thought it was the tires but they look fine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sorry to say but, that sounds about right. You're lucky, mine went out at 36,000 miles. I'm interested in hearing how the service manager deals with it...I'm thinking that we should report it to Toyota corporate marketing as well (800-331-4331). Might actually get a response from them if enuff people *****. I'm counting at least five individuals in this thread that state specifically that the tranny needs replaced. Considering the number of owners truly utilizing this site and the percentage of failures...It MAY indeed be a manufacturing defect that needs to be corrected.

·
Premium Member
2018 CHR
7 Posts
Sorry to say but, that sounds about right. You're lucky, mine went out at 36,000 miles. I'm interested in hearing how the service manager deals with it...I'm thinking that we should report it to Toyota corporate marketing as well (800-331-4331). Might actually get a response from them if enuff people *. I'm counting at least five individuals in this thread that state specifically that the tranny needs replaced. Considering the number of owners truly utilizing this site and the percentage of failures...It MAY indeed be a manufacturing defect that needs to be corrected.
I agree. I will let you know what the service manager does.

·
Premium Member
2018 CHR
7 Posts
I agree. I will let you know what the service manager does.
Toyota is replacing my transmission and torque converter. They brought it to a transmission shop on Toyota contract and they had never heard this noise before. They called Toyota Corporate. Getting parts from Chicago. Hopefully done by Thursday. Good thing I had all this documentation from this website. It really helped a lot.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Took my car to the dealer yesterday for roaring noise under the hood and car running at high rpms at HWY speed. First, the guys at reception were busy eating dry nuts and totally ignored the fact that a person was waiting to be served. When they did acknowledge and heard my complaint, they simply said if the RPMS are not touching the red bar then there's nothing wrong and CVT is functioning as it should. I came right out...will go to a different dealership and see if they're willing to actually take a look. My first new Toyota and the experience with the dealership/service so far has been very negative

Also, noticed that Lane Departure Alert no longer works as of yesterday.

·
Premium Member
2018 CHR
7 Posts
Took my car to the dealer yesterday for roaring noise under the hood and car running at high rpms at HWY speed. First, the guys at reception were busy eating dry nuts and totally ignored the fact that a person was waiting to be served. When they did acknowledge and heard my complaint, they simply said if the RPMS are not touching the red bar then there's nothing wrong and CVT is functioning as it should. I came right out...will go to a different dealership and see if they're willing to actually take a look. My first new Toyota and the experience with the dealership/service so far has been very negative

Also, noticed that Lane Departure Alert no longer works as of yesterday.
Print out a copy of this discussion and then have them call the other dealers and toyota corporate to discuss. InverGrove Toyota Minnesota called corporate and they received approval to replace my transmission and torque converter under warranty. Mine is fine now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hey Tanveer0543!
Sounds like a different issue to me.
I had no problem with LDA that I noticed (maybe because the instrument panel was lit-up like a Christmas tree). And I certainly wouldn't describe the sound as a "roar". Very high pitched whine, frequency increasing with acceleration. I noticed the whine for, probably, 3, 000-4 000 miles before it became increasingly obvious.
Hope it's something else my friend, something that is not as significant as a transmission failure.
Let us know...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just traded my chr in today because of the whining noise coming from the trans the car was at 86000 and somewhere around 50 to 60 k it went away and came back around 75 k ended up getting a RAV4 instead

21 - 35 of 35 Posts