Toyota C-HR Forum banner

TPWS Registration after tires change

17K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  kirkland 
#1 ·
I have a 2019 C-HR. After I changed into summer tires the TPSW light blinked and stayed on. I suspect this got something to do with registering the tire pressure sensors. Manual said go to Toyota service. Hate to pay for that.

Anyone know how to fix this. Please.

#3 ·
I don't know where you're getting this from that the manual tells you to go in for service to reset the TPWS. In my US spec owner's manual on page 367, it spells out how you would go about resetting the TPWS. Also, my car is a 2019 MY CHR.

On my 2013 BMW 135i, I would do the same thing as you where I run two sets of tires; summer and winter. Both sets are on dedicated wheels. So when I swap them when seasons change, I would have to reset the TPMS. Been doing this since I bought the car new without issue.

Depending on how things go, I may be doing the same thing with the CHR in getting another set of wheels and tires to do summer/winter swaps.

#5 ·
I took the winter rims off (without TPMS sensors) put back the summer mags with the TPMS and can't get them to be recognized by the car even after trying to set them on the dash screen.... gonna have to bring it in... (mine is a 2018)

#7 ·
Yeah. I just found some more information on this:

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/...edan-2020/1650784-psa-tpms-wheel-sensors.html

So apparently, you do have to have the new TPWS sensors registered. And it seems there are specific sensors which will work. This is just plain stupid. As complicated and overly engineered BMWs are, they at least allow me to just run compatible TPMS sensors without the need to code/register them with the ECU. Just think about having to have to go back to the dealer or some shop with the capability to do the registration when the battery in the sensors die out. Totally unnecessary. Seems to the safest bet is to order Toyota sourced TPWS sensors instead of rolling the dice with aftermarket. Unless the retailer provides a guarantee they will work which will have to be reimbursing for the cost to remove and the attempted coding/registration.

#8 ·
Well, I tried google search and one suggestion was to push SET 3 times to register the sensors. It did not work. Finally I went back to the shop that sold me the winter tires. They are not busy this time of the year. A technician came out with some kind of meter. Point it at the valve stems to record the sensor IDs. Then plug the meter into the OBD connector. A couple of buttons and sensor IDs went in the car. TPWS light went off. No charge.
Its true that this has to be done at the dealer or a shop with this TPWS programmer. I looked in Amazon for one. They are quite cheap $20 for GM/Ford cars but $200 and up for other cars.

#10 · (Edited)
Well, I tried google search and one suggestion was to push SET 3 times to register the sensors. It did not work.
Note: the following is the procedure for Toyota vehicles with non self learning TPMS systems. The C-HR system may be self learning although the online owner's manual suggests not.

If the C-HR system is indeed self learning, then some of what I have written below may not apply.

Normally the warning light should not on before one presses the button; else you may lock up the TPMS ECU and need to pay someone to unlock it.

To get the warning light to go off after changing tires with new/different sensors, you have to first register the new sensor codes using a proper scan tool via the OBD2 port. Then drive around the block for about 30 seconds and the light will go out if there are no faults.

To calibrate the warning system, you have to continuously hold the reset button long enough for the warning light to come on and flash 3 times before the light goes out. The car should be running but not moving when you do this.

When you press the button, this tells the TPMS ECU that whatever the current tire pressure is according to the most recent radio wave data transmission from the sensors, in the future the warning system will trigger the dashboard light if one or more tires have their pressure fall below 75% of the value at the time the button was pressed.

A tire with a pressure initially at 32 psi would trigger the system if its pressure were to fall below 24 psi. If you want to be warned sooner, you could over-inflate your tires to say 36 psi, press the button to force an alarm at 27 psi, and then deflate your tires back to 32 psi.

Remember that in summer, when tire run at high speed they naturally increase in pressure. In winter during a cold spell, the tire pressure will drop. Given these wide seasonal fluctuations in tire pressure, the 75% rule seems to be an attempt to avoid false positive alarms.

#9 ·
I have been using the Toyota TPMS system on my 2011 Matrix with summer and winter tires mounted on separate rims, all equipped with TPMS sensors. Every season when I change over, I have to transfer the new set of sensor codes to the ECU using my ATEQ TPM Quickset programmer that I purchased for about $182 CAD in 2011. Most cars only hold 4 serial numbers at a time, so one has to keep uploading them seasonally. There are some cars that can store 8 codes and these come equipped with a discrete dashboard button (or a virtual menu button) to flip back and forth on demand between 2 sets of four codes. At the time I purchased the tool, tire shops were charging $50 to reprogram the codes, but over time, I imagine many shops charge less or do it for free as a courtesy to clients. Over 9 years, my TPMS system has warned me on two occasions that I had a slow leak caused by an embedded nail, which allowed me to avoid having to change a tire on the side of the road. While the battery life of the sensors are typically 5-10 years, all my eight 9 year old sensors are still operational (touch wood) because they go into battery saving hibernation mode when they spend 6 months each year in storage. The sensors transmit the tire pressure as a measurement of PSI, however unfortunately the cars generally only display a go/no-go status.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
if you still got your warranty available then you do not have you pay for it
I'm not sure what part of the TPMS system would be covered under the warranty. I can't imagine that re-programming the ECU after swapping seasonal tires is covered, nor reasonable battery use of the tire sensors whose lifespan is 5-10 years. If a sensor broadcast the wrong temperature or the wrong air pressure, that might be covered, certainly for the first 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. An after market extended warranty might have limitations about what is covered for TPMS. In the USA the conditions may be different from here in Canada.

I just got my 2021 C-HR last night and today my ATEQ TPM Quickset OBD2 programmer was able to read the on-board codes of the tire sensors stored in the ECU memory. My scan tool only covers C-HR models up to year 2019, but the communication protocol is still the same for 2021. In a month I will try writing back the new codes for my winter tire sensor set while hoping that the write operation will be as successful at that time as the read operation was today.

P.S. My VIECAR (ELM327 v1.5) OBD2 adaptor refused to pair by Bluetooth between my iPad and my C-HR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.