Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 C-HR. After I changed into summer tires the TPSW light blinked and stayed on. I suspect this got something to do with registering the tire pressure sensors. Manual said go to Toyota service. Hate to pay for that.

Anyone know how to fix this. Please.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I dont think you would have to pay anything since its a new car and covered under warranty. Just tell the dealer TPMS is not working. They might just have to clear the code for it to register

·
Super Moderator
298 Posts
I don't know where you're getting this from that the manual tells you to go in for service to reset the TPWS. In my US spec owner's manual on page 367, it spells out how you would go about resetting the TPWS. Also, my car is a 2019 MY CHR.

On my 2013 BMW 135i, I would do the same thing as you where I run two sets of tires; summer and winter. Both sets are on dedicated wheels. So when I swap them when seasons change, I would have to reset the TPMS. Been doing this since I bought the car new without issue.

Depending on how things go, I may be doing the same thing with the CHR in getting another set of wheels and tires to do summer/winter swaps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had the winters on C-HR without the sensors. Swapped them in April with all season and didn't have to reset anything.

Same thing on my old Venza. Didn't have ti reset the sensors after the swap

·
Registered
80 Posts
I took the winter rims off (without TPMS sensors) put back the summer mags with the TPMS and can't get them to be recognized by the car even after trying to set them on the dash screen.... gonna have to bring it in... (mine is a 2018)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Zx10 guy
We have the same manual. On page 367 it talks about setting to the pressures in the present tires. On page 368 top, it tells you to go to Toyota to have the pressure sensor ID codes registered by the dealer

·
Super Moderator
298 Posts
Yeah. I just found some more information on this:

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/962-corolla-12th-gen-hatch-2019-sedan-2020/1650784-psa-tpms-wheel-sensors.html

So apparently, you do have to have the new TPWS sensors registered. And it seems there are specific sensors which will work. This is just plain stupid. As complicated and overly engineered BMWs are, they at least allow me to just run compatible TPMS sensors without the need to code/register them with the ECU. Just think about having to have to go back to the dealer or some shop with the capability to do the registration when the battery in the sensors die out. Totally unnecessary. Seems to the safest bet is to order Toyota sourced TPWS sensors instead of rolling the dice with aftermarket. Unless the retailer provides a guarantee they will work which will have to be reimbursing for the cost to remove and the attempted coding/registration.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I tried google search and one suggestion was to push SET 3 times to register the sensors. It did not work. Finally I went back to the shop that sold me the winter tires. They are not busy this time of the year. A technician came out with some kind of meter. Point it at the valve stems to record the sensor IDs. Then plug the meter into the OBD connector. A couple of buttons and sensor IDs went in the car. TPWS light went off. No charge.
Its true that this has to be done at the dealer or a shop with this TPWS programmer. I looked in Amazon for one. They are quite cheap $20 for GM/Ford cars but $200 and up for other cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been using the Toyota TPMS system on my 2011 Matrix with summer and winter tires mounted on separate rims, all equipped with TPMS sensors. Every season when I change over, I have to transfer the new set of sensor codes to the ECU using my ATEQ TPM Quickset programmer that I purchased for about $182 CAD in 2011. Most cars only hold 4 serial numbers at a time, so one has to keep uploading them seasonally. There are some cars that can store 8 codes and these come equipped with a discrete dashboard button (or a virtual menu button) to flip back and forth on demand between 2 sets of four codes. At the time I purchased the tool, tire shops were charging $50 to reprogram the codes, but over time, I imagine many shops charge less or do it for free as a courtesy to clients. Over 9 years, my TPMS system has warned me on two occasions that I had a slow leak caused by an embedded nail, which allowed me to avoid having to change a tire on the side of the road. While the battery life of the sensors are typically 5-10 years, all my eight 9 year old sensors are still operational (touch wood) because they go into battery saving hibernation mode when they spend 6 months each year in storage. The sensors transmit the tire pressure as a measurement of PSI, however unfortunately the cars generally only display a go/no-go status.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts