Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the look of the factory roof rack on my 2019 C-HR, but i think it is decreasing my gas mileage by about 5 mpg. I am averaging about 21 or less mpg in normal driving mode. So, I am conflicted as to whether I should remove the bars or not. Anyone else have this same issue? I will try driving in eco mode and see if this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's a big hit to fuel economy and it may be worth removing them if you aren't using them regularly. A rear mounted carrier may the better route to go.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Some manufactures do develop aerodynamically sound bars, Yakima and Thule come to mind so if you must have a rack style system those are great avenues.

Keep us posted on whatever you come across or plan to do.

·
Registered
350 Posts
the OEM crossbar is Thule... And that's why I haven't used mine yet!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yakima has used aerodynamic add-on's in the past so that may be worth considering if we need to take a custom approach on the OEM version.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yakima WindShield is what I think it's called. For Thule it's Thule AirScreen

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try taking it off then driving without it to see if it improves. I suspect it something else that's causing the dramatic drop as 5 MPGs is a big hit. And if you consider that a lot of C-HR's come pre-installed with these racks from the dealer, you would see a lot more C-HRs with poor gas mileage right out of the gate.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've ridden mine without it for all this time, and it's all tracked. I guess i can put it on and trend it for another few months. But ehhhhhhh so lazy hahah

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have had mine up for a while and nit huge difference in terms of mpg. But now I have a basket in those cross bars and that does effect a little bit. But my main concern with the basket on roof 8s the lack of power. The car is just dry with all that air pushing it on free way.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
How I wish my car is two-toned! :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sho23, look around for places that do wrap coating. You could get your roof done that way fairly inexpensively.

Good Luck!

Striker

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sho23, look around for places that do wrap coating. You could get your roof done that way fairly inexpensively.

Good Luck!

Striker
I did. I forgot the number but it was I think about 800? Because of all the curvature on the roof tail...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was going to have mine wrapped until I got a price of $450 NOT including the spoiler and antenna. The guy told me I would need to have those parts painted. I thought, if I'm going to have any of it painted, I'll have it all painted!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was going to have mine wrapped until I got a price of $450 NOT including the spoiler and antenna. The guy told me I would need to have those parts painted. I thought, if I'm going to have any of it painted, I'll have it all painted!
Same here, I got the exact same quote as Graygoat! Crazy because it's only like a 8-900 add on from Toyota, would have taken 10-12 weeks to get though so we went without.

I'm thinking of plastidipping it shadow black, giving it a satin sheen. Would only cost about $200 plus my time since I have a sprayer already. Won't happen until the spring though.

-Russ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts