Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't found this information in any previous posts regarding the C-HR transmission issues experienced by some owners and hope this information is helpful. I have also investigated whether there are any open Toyota or NTSB Safety and Service Campaigns for transmission issues using the VIN# on my 2018 and 2021 C-HRs and there are none.

This suggests the overall number of reported customer complaints is statistically low. In these cases, it is not unusual to take the "fix it forward" approach; if a problem occurs investigate it to determine the true root cause and then repair to remove the defect. (This approach is also used in the Information Technology industries, where I enjoyed a 30-year career.)

By comparison, currently and over the years Yamaha Motorcycles has had several transmission recalls and "immediately park your motorcycle" warnings dating back to at least 2004/2005 when I was a service advisor in the motorsports industry. Now that was one group of angry customers!

Toyota has long used transmissions manufactured by Aisin, and the C-HR is no exception. Aisin is part of the group of Toyota Motors companies founded by Kiichiro Toyoda, the son (and successor) of the founder of Toyoda Loom Works, Sakichi Toyoda.

Aisin manufactures and supplies automatic transmissions to 55 automotive manufacturers around the world, virtually every major OEM. These include General Motors, Ford, Jeep, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Saab, VW, Volvo, Hyundai, and MINI among others.

C-HRs are manufactured at Toyota's state-of-the-art facilities located in Arifiye, Sakarya, Turkey. As is "The Toyota Way" any employee is empowered to "pull the Andon cord." to literally stop their production line if a problem or defect is encountered. Andon is a system developed to alert operators about an issue on the production line in Lean manufacturing. Originating from the Toyota Production System (TPS), it is used as a tool to “stop the line” once a product defect is detected.

The bottom line is both Toyota Motors Manufacturing and Aisin Transmissions are top-of-the-line manufacturers headquartered in Japan.

The best thing a consumer can do to protect any vehicle investment is to get the best possible engine & powertrain warranty. Extended Warranties, and everything else the finance department tries to sell, are open to price negotiation. (Yep, I was a Licensed Vehicle Salesperson, too.) Never pay the full retail price for anything, always be relaxed and professional, and don't be afraid to quietly stand up and directly say, "I'm really sorry we cannot make the numbers work today." Extend your hand to shake hands while asking for their business card. YOU are always in the driver's seat!

__

Current Owner: 2021 Toyota C-HR, 2018 Toyota C-HR, 2014 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD.
Previous Owner: 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6, 2011 Toyota RAV4, 2002 Toyota Rav4,1984 Toyota Pickup

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I've actually discussed the CVT trans in the C-HR being from Aisin at length in the various threads about transmission failures. I've also provided some evidence that the hypothesis of the C-HR being "built" in Turkey, which really means assembled aside from some body parts, is not the cause of the transmission failures. I've done extra research to see if there has been any change in part numbers for the entire transmission assembly from 2018 on. There has not been any change. Usually manufacturers will change part numbers or list a new part number to supersede a part that has been updated. This doesn't mean there hasn't been any updates within the transmission from model year to model year. I just haven't found enough evidence of this.

So far the ones that have complained the most has been the 2018 owners. I saw one possible complaint from a 2019 owner but no follow up. So far the cause of the failures has not been locked down as none of the people that have had transmission failures have probed deeper with their dealers as to what exactly failed. One person reported recently the dealer declared there was a bearing failure. I asked if there was a tear down of the trans to determine this. The poster did not know. I'm a bit doubtful that the dealer did in fact do a tear down.

Next, extended warranties. They're nice to have but people need to read the contract to ensure they know exactly what is and is not covered. But I'll say it again as I have with other threads on the CVT failures, the number 1 thing you can do to prevent a failure is to do fluid maintenance. Despite Toyota not putting into the maintenance schedule the need to have fluid service on the trans, you absolutely need to do it. I've posted supporting links to videos from respected individuals that back up the need to do fluid service on these so called sealed/lifetime transmissions. I've had one fluid service done and will be doing my next one in the next few thousand miles. My trans has about 93k miles on it with no issues on a 2019 MY.

If you haven't done a fluid service on your CVT and you're over between 30k to 50k miles, get one done NOW.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts