Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Carried over from the now dead Scion brand, the 2018 Toyota C-HR is a fun and comfortable little crossover that doesn’t corner all that well. At least that’s what Consumer Reports thinks in their latest review.

Its funky looks helps it stand out in the crowded crossover segment along with the plethora of features it comes standard with including the Toyota Safety Sense P driver assist and safety suite, 7-inch touchscreen, dual-zone climate control, soft touch materials and leather accents. This is just the basic XLE model, the Premium trim comes with even more equipment like heated seats, lane departure warning, etc.

On the road, Consumer Reports found the cabin to be quiet even when you step on the gas pedal hard and the C-HR’s engine gets loud and buzzy at over 4,000 rpms.

Additionally, the vehicle delivers a taught yet comfortable ride over bumpy roads. But that comfort comes at the cost of reducing its cornering abilities. The C-HR will go into corners confidently, but it lacks the steering response of a Mazda CX-3 and there’s a fair amount of lean if a corner is tackled too aggressively.

Perhaps in time, the aftermarket will provide owners with a solution to this problem.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This isn't supposed to be a track vehicle.. it's just meant to be fun. If you want better corning capabilities,a few simple adjustments to the suspension like sway bars and the likes can tighten it up for you.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm not going to track the C-HR anytime soon, but it does make me question how aggressive they were with the corners because I don't like the feeling of a high sitting car leaning. I've been in plenty of SUVs and every time someone turns too fast, it scares me a little to feel one side shift.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think the C-HR will perform adequately on daily dries and you really shouldn't be making turns that fast on public roads anyways. But is it's really a concern there are aftermarket options you can look into like sway bars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my view handling is a crucial safety feature in cases of emergency collision avoidance. You want to be able to control your vehicle to the best of your abilities not tempt fate. Cheers

·
Registered
257 Posts
I assume the suspension setup is uniform across the board as it'll cost too much to change key components for various markets. Could be down to the U.S. and European reviewers' personal preferences when it comes to body roll. With how many modded C-HR's we've already seen, we shouldn't have any problems finding aftermarket parts to change the car's drive dynamics.

·
Registered
153 Posts
For daily driving, you really shouldn't be worried about it feeling like it's going to tip because that would indicate some pretty aggressive driving which alone is a much larger safety issue.

If you plan on tracking it, then you already know modifications will need to be made regardless to get it to perform in any way "properly"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Coming from integra dc2's skyline etc etc Im having as much speed and confidence in the Chr as them on the road. In fact I feel like I can push it a bit more on the road than my rattly race machines.

Very shocked. Feels Planted to me.

I guess its going to be more skittish than a 3 ton Cadillac or what ever you drive mostly over there :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's kinda shocking that you feel more confidence in the C-HR than the DC2 and Skyline as those were pretty darn capable

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's kinda shocking that you feel more confidence in the C-HR than the DC2 and Skyline as those were pretty darn capable

Ah I did say on the road. Id never go balls out on a public highway. Just some late night back lane blasts. We have some good twisty a roads here in kent by the coast.

Oh course the track would be different.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am sure a pair of Whiteline swaybars will improve cornering. Hope Whiteline add these soon to their program.
Have those on front and rear of my 2005 RAV4 and it corners like its lowered. It kept the comfort for 90%.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts