Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my question is when I put the car into sport mode I can feel the difference in the stiffness of the suspension. My question is does anyone know what actually occurs to make the suspension more stiff? Does it have some kind of loosening and tightening device attached to the steering system? Besides a computer making it stiffer I cannot imagine what actually happens to the suspension. Please help and thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sport Mode just affects the transmission and throttle calibration, essentially creating a "sportier" simulated shift pattern and increasing the throttle response, usually by increasing the throttle pedal expo rate.

The sport setting shouldn't have any affect on the suspension however, maybe the increased performance from the transmission and throttle gives the impression that the suspension was somehow effected as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you makes sense because I cannot imagine a suspension or shock that can change rigidity. The illusion that it’s stiffer is incredible. Thank you! Another question do you think always driving my car on sport mode somehow ruins the transmission due to the shift points and because you have to set it each time you start the car again do you think that means it’s not supposed to be driving regularly in sport mode? Thank again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you makes sense because I cannot imagine a suspension or shock that can change rigidity. The illusion that it’s stiffer is incredible. Thank you! Another question do you think always driving my car on sport mode somehow ruins the transmission due to the shift points and because you have to set it each time you start the car again do you think that means it’s not supposed to be driving regularly in sport mode? Thank again
Absolutely, happy to help. There are cars that have electronically controlled dampers that adjust their stiffness on the fly depending on mode, such as many sports cars, luxury cars, off-roaders like the Ford Raptor are a few examples. But definitely not at this price point.

No, driving in sport mode all the time won't hurt any of your mechanicals, it however will decrease your mpg. But sometimes its worth the trade off for some fun. Just make sure your drivetrain is up to temp before you start being aggressive with it, not just coolant temp, but oil temp, our cars don't come with oil temp gauge, it should take 2-4 miles of driving to get up to full oil temp.

The C-HR doesn't let you stay in Sport Mode probably for emissions and fuel saving reasons, not durability or reliability reasons. Also, you shifts are simulated since the transmission is actually a CVT. Unlike most CVTs, I believe ours has a first gear only, then switches to CVT mode. Either way, it doesn't harm your tranny for simulating more gears.

But note, there have been some issues with earlier C-HR CVT transmission which needed to be replaced prematurely, likely due to a manufacturing fault or low fluid. If you hear any unusual "gear" humming noises related to driving speed, then see your dealer immediately. You will hear a mechanical humming noise that increases as you drive faster if you may have this issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your info you absolutely make sense I totally get it . Your points are solid enough for me to stop my thoughts in this area . I posted another question in another category about LDA …I was asking if anyone knew exactly how the car is able to move left and right without me turning the steering wheel when the LDA is activated!! If there some kind of servo motor on the steering column? What do you think? I value your points . Thank you again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts