Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my question is when I put the car into sport mode I can feel the difference in the stiffness of the suspension. My question is does anyone know what actually occurs to make the suspension more stiff? Does it have some kind of loosening and tightening device attached to the steering system? Besides a computer making it stiffer I cannot imagine what actually happens to the suspension. Please help and thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sport Mode just affects the transmission and throttle calibration, essentially creating a "sportier" simulated shift pattern and increasing the throttle response, usually by increasing the throttle pedal expo rate.

The sport setting shouldn't have any affect on the suspension however, maybe the increased performance from the transmission and throttle gives the impression that the suspension was somehow effected as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you makes sense because I cannot imagine a suspension or shock that can change rigidity. The illusion that it’s stiffer is incredible. Thank you! Another question do you think always driving my car on sport mode somehow ruins the transmission due to the shift points and because you have to set it each time you start the car again do you think that means it’s not supposed to be driving regularly in sport mode? Thank again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you makes sense because I cannot imagine a suspension or shock that can change rigidity. The illusion that it’s stiffer is incredible. Thank you! Another question do you think always driving my car on sport mode somehow ruins the transmission due to the shift points and because you have to set it each time you start the car again do you think that means it’s not supposed to be driving regularly in sport mode? Thank again
Absolutely, happy to help. There are cars that have electronically controlled dampers that adjust their stiffness on the fly depending on mode, such as many sports cars, luxury cars, off-roaders like the Ford Raptor are a few examples. But definitely not at this price point.

No, driving in sport mode all the time won't hurt any of your mechanicals, it however will decrease your mpg. But sometimes its worth the trade off for some fun. Just make sure your drivetrain is up to temp before you start being aggressive with it, not just coolant temp, but oil temp, our cars don't come with oil temp gauge, it should take 2-4 miles of driving to get up to full oil temp.

The C-HR doesn't let you stay in Sport Mode probably for emissions and fuel saving reasons, not durability or reliability reasons. Also, you shifts are simulated since the transmission is actually a CVT. Unlike most CVTs, I believe ours has a first gear only, then switches to CVT mode. Either way, it doesn't harm your tranny for simulating more gears.

But note, there have been some issues with earlier C-HR CVT transmission which needed to be replaced prematurely, likely due to a manufacturing fault or low fluid. If you hear any unusual "gear" humming noises related to driving speed, then see your dealer immediately. You will hear a mechanical humming noise that increases as you drive faster if you may have this issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your info you absolutely make sense I totally get it . Your points are solid enough for me to stop my thoughts in this area . I posted another question in another category about LDA …I was asking if anyone knew exactly how the car is able to move left and right without me turning the steering wheel when the LDA is activated!! If there some kind of servo motor on the steering column? What do you think? I value your points . Thank you again

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Replying on this topic from your request in your other thread.

As mentioned above, there are vehicles with electronic dampers which the computer can control/adjust based on a mode setting on the console/dash or based on the current operating condition of the car/road. The C-HR has none of this. It uses traditional shock/struts.

The stiffer feel you're describing is from the steering feel. This is accomplished through the EPS (electric power steering) system I discussed in your LDA thread. The motor I mentioned which helps to provide input to move the car back into the lane is also responsible for the steering feel/amount of power assist. The less assist the motor provides, the more effort/stiffer the steering will be. This is what you're feeling and is set by the Toyota engineers in the Sport mode setting. Steering feel was a big issue when EPS came out as it was new to many manufacturers. Common complaints about EPS has been the lack of "feel" which would mean getting the proper feedback through the steering wheel as to how the car is behaving or how the road surface is changing. Car manufacturers have had decades of experience dialing in the old hydraulic power steering systems. You see this complaint a lot with BMW car enthusiasts. When BMW first came out with EPS, people berated BMW for losing the steering feel they were famous for in their hydraulic steering systems. BMW came out with EPS around the 2012/13 time frame. I've driven a few of their more recent cars in a track type situation. I have no complaints with how BMW has been able to tune their EPS systems compared to my BMW 135i which was the last car they had hydraulic steering available; also one of the reasons why I bought this car. When I first drove my 135i, the steering effort is much higher than any car I've ever driven. I've gotten used to it since then.

In my opinion, Toyota got the tuning of the EPS pretty dead on for the C-HR in the category it exists in. I drive around in non sport mode pretty much all the time. The steering feel is fine for even very spirited driving. I've only used sport mode when I needed that bit of extra throttle response/shift aggressiveness when trying to navigate around slower traffic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sometimes I accidentally leave mine in Sport mode (modded with switch). Gotta keep reminding myself to put the CHR back into "normal" mode when parking.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
There was a mod posted up by a Youtuber that showed how to wire in a mechanical switch to keep it on all the time. I don't remember the Youtuber's name and haven't seen any of his videos pop when doing a generic C-HR search now when it did in the past.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The video is still on youtube

His page is also still there.
Rajeev.Velikkal.com

Hopefully there is a Microcenter near you. They should have most of the parts - the Arduino board and the CANBUS hat - you will need to find a box and a switch. The steering wheel beep and the door locks don't work, but I was more interested in the drive mode function.

Reactions: zx10guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replying on this topic from your request in your other thread.

As mentioned above, there are vehicles with electronic dampers which the computer can control/adjust based on a mode setting on the console/dash or based on the current operating condition of the car/road. The C-HR has none of this. It uses traditional shock/struts.

The stiffer feel you're describing is from the steering feel. This is accomplished through the EPS (electric power steering) system I discussed in your LDA thread. The motor I mentioned which helps to provide input to move the car back into the lane is also responsible for the steering feel/amount of power assist. The less assist the motor provides, the more effort/stiffer the steering will be. This is what you're feeling and is set by the Toyota engineers in the Sport mode setting. Steering feel was a big issue when EPS came out as it was new to many manufacturers. Common complaints about EPS has been the lack of "feel" which would mean getting the proper feedback through the steering wheel as to how the car is behaving or how the road surface is changing. Car manufacturers have had decades of experience dialing in the old hydraulic power steering systems. You see this complaint a lot with BMW car enthusiasts. When BMW first came out with EPS, people berated BMW for losing the steering feel they were famous for in their hydraulic steering systems. BMW came out with EPS around the 2012/13 time frame. I've driven a few of their more recent cars in a track type situation. I have no complaints with how BMW has been able to tune their EPS systems compared to my BMW 135i which was the last car they had hydraulic steering available; also one of the reasons why I bought this car. When I first drove my 135i, the steering effort is much higher than any car I've ever driven. I've gotten used to it since then.

In my opinion, Toyota got the tuning of the EPS pretty dead on for the C-HR in the category it exists in. I drive around in non sport mode pretty much all the time. The steering feel is fine for even very spirited driving. I've only used sport mode when I needed that bit of extra throttle response/shift aggressiveness when trying to navigate around slower traffic.
It would be nice if you could tune the CH-R to have the same steering stiffness feel in eco / normal modes. For the most part, the eps assist is fine on hi-way speeds when in eco / normal mode, however when backing into parking spots at slow speeds, or general slow speed driving, steering feels "loose" in handling... This makes for less control feeling of the vehicle when driving at low speed. I keep my ch-r in sport mode just because of the stiffer feeling of the steering at any speed id do, but I sacrifice fuel economy by doing this and it seems the transmission works a lot harder in this mode. It makes me wonder if the life of the transmission will shorten over time... Toyota should consider this in their next generation CH-R to allow the driver to over-ride EPS and choose the feel of the steering in various drive modes... Or provide a computer tweak for current gen ch-r owners that could be done to make sport mode steering settings from EPS apply to other drive modes... Its really the only thing I'm disappointed with in my purchase of the CH-R... I would consider trading it if the next Gen incorporates this suggestion... Honestly EPS is good, but its also terrible option when not customizable...

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
It would be nice if you could tune the CH-R to have the same steering stiffness feel in eco / normal modes. For the most part, the eps assist is fine on hi-way speeds when in eco / normal mode, however when backing into parking spots at slow speeds, or general slow speed driving, steering feels "loose" in handling... This makes for less control feeling of the vehicle when driving at low speed. I keep my ch-r in sport mode just because of the stiffer feeling of the steering at any speed id do, but I sacrifice fuel economy by doing this and it seems the transmission works a lot harder in this mode. It makes me wonder if the life of the transmission will shorten over time... Toyota should consider this in their next generation CH-R to allow the driver to over-ride EPS and choose the feel of the steering in various drive modes... Or provide a computer tweak for current gen ch-r owners that could be done to make sport mode steering settings from EPS apply to other drive modes... Its really the only thing I'm disappointed with in my purchase of the CH-R... I would consider trading it if the next Gen incorporates this suggestion... Honestly EPS is good, but its also terrible option when not customizable...
The only cars I've seen that allow that level of customization are higher end vehicles such as those from BMW. And more to the point the M cars. I'd rather Toyota put a real engine into this platform and not this neutered down 3ZR-FAE engine in the North American market.

As to the more aggressive transmission behavior in Sport mode, it won't affect reliability if you're not doing power brake launches or are beating on the transmission constantly. Face it, this car is really an econobox that is styled to look sporty and aggressive.

Reactions: RoLleRKoaSTeR
1 - 13 of 13 Posts