Toyota C-HR Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
As far as I know, these mud guards have always been an optional accessory and not factory installed. It's not uncommon for these types of accessories to be dealer installed options or at the port of entry/arrival. BMW has a few options that are installed at the port of receiving here in the States before the car is sent to the dealer.
I don't know about BMW, but with Toyota, higher grades have preinstalled many options, and those same ones are made optional or offered as accessories for lower grades. For example: my Corolla hatch XSE has mudguards, hood insulator, etc. that are installed at the factory for XSE, and can be bought separately for lower grades. Limited C-HR came with mudguards, winter rubber mats, rear bumper protector, fog lights, 18" wheels, heated stg wheel, leather seats, interior flood lights, wheel locks, etc.

And yes, especially in US, there are many regional distributors that make certain options/accessories like hood protector, door guards, wheels, tint, etc.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
When I'm on it, should i order same other things from Toyota that will be useful? Maybe rear bumper protector? When I was buying the car they recommend me bear lock on gear box but I'm not so sure about that.

· Registered
24 Posts
When I'm on it, should i order same other things from Toyota that will be useful? Maybe rear bumper protector? When I was buying the car they recommend me bear lock on gear box but I'm not so sure about that.
I like the rear bumper protector as I can place heavy or rough objects on it and not worry about damaging the paint on the cover. I have the protector on both C-HR and Corolla hatchback...

Re: bear-lock, I am not sure what car-theft situation is in Poland and for these models. I see it is popular for vehicles, e.g. campers that don't have immobilizers, etc. In Canada, C-HR is not on theft top list, although I've seen the Club used here quite a bit, mostly the stg wheel bar (on left), the bar on right locks pedal to the steering wheel so it can't be depressed:

Font Line Office supplies Auto part Parallel

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I like the rear bumper protector as I can place heavy or rough objects on it and not worry about damaging the paint on the cover. I have the protector on both C-HR and Corolla hatchback...

Re: bear-lock, I am not sure what car-theft situation is in Poland and for these models. I see it is popular for vehicles, e.g. campers that don't have immobilizers, etc. In Canada, C-HR is not on theft top list, although I've seen the Club used here quite a bit, mostly the stg wheel bar (on left), the bar on right locks pedal to the steering wheel so it can't be depressed:

View attachment 6668
Rear bumper protector you mean this?
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

In some rankings it was even in top 5 but i don't know who and how are doing these rankings so...

For the protection I would prefer something smaller :p but I'm pretty sure that i will find some post here about that.

· Registered
24 Posts
Rear bumper protector you mean this?
View attachment 6669

In some rankings it was even in top 5 but i don't know who and how are doing these rankings so...

For the protection I would prefer something smaller :p but I'm pretty sure that i will find some post here about that.
Yes, something like that. This is the OEM one that I have:

· Premium Member
524 Posts
I don't know about BMW, but with Toyota, higher grades have preinstalled many options, and those same ones are made optional or offered as accessories for lower grades. For example: my Corolla hatch XSE has mudguards, hood insulator, etc. that are installed at the factory for XSE, and can be bought separately for lower grades. Limited C-HR came with mudguards, winter rubber mats, rear bumper protector, fog lights, 18" wheels, heated stg wheel, leather seats, interior flood lights, wheel locks, etc.

And yes, especially in US, there are many regional distributors that make certain options/accessories like hood protector, door guards, wheels, tint, etc.
I still don't recall the Limited trim coming with the mud guards. But I do recall they had the fog lights. But I'm a bit hazy on all the different trim levels as I haven't looked into those things since I bought my car in 2019. I do have the sales brochure floating around some where. So maybe the Limited in the US market came with a bunch of things.

· Premium Member
524 Posts

View attachment 6668
Those locking devices are totally useless. A thief can get through them in a matter of seconds. The steering wheel lock is easily defeated by cutting the steering wheel. Both of them have weak lock cylinders that can be either picked quickly or destroyed to allow the release of the whole lock.

· Premium Member
524 Posts
Toyota doesn't offer this, but having a hitch installed has been very useful for me. I have a trailer hitch mounted bike rack. Makes transporting bicycles much easier.

· Registered
24 Posts
Those locking devices are totally useless. A thief can get through them in a matter of seconds. The steering wheel lock is easily defeated by cutting the steering wheel. Both of them have weak lock cylinders that can be either picked quickly or destroyed to allow the release of the whole lock.
Bear-lock adds immobilizer to cars that don't have it. The Club is mostly a visual deterrent, it takes time to cut through and destroy the wheel, and thieves will sometimes pass on that car just not to waste time or damage the interior. So not exactly useless.

However, to your point, at least here in Canada, any car can be stolen regardless of safety features. There have been cases of cars simply being towed away by thieves...

· Premium Member
524 Posts
Bear-lock adds immobilizer to cars that don't have it. The Club is mostly a visual deterrent, it takes time to cut through and destroy the wheel, and thieves will sometimes pass on that car just not to waste time or damage the interior. So not exactly useless.

However, to your point, at least here in Canada, any car can be stolen regardless of safety features. There have been cases of cars simply being towed away by thieves...
I'll have to look to see how exactly the Bear Lock works. As to the Club type devices, the videos I've seen of thieves cutting through the steering wheel took only seconds. It's not as cumbersome as you think it is. All they have to do is make one cut on either side of where the Club attaches to the steering wheel. The cutting was maybe 15 seconds. Then the thief yanks on the longer span of the wheel to bend it out of the way. Then the thief just lifts the Club out of the way. Literally seconds.

People think the steering wheel is made of super hard metal. It's not. It has to collapse/give a little due to safety to prevent major injury when a driver can impact the steering wheel in a crash.

· Registered
24 Posts
I'll have to look to see how exactly the Bear Lock works. As to the Club type devices, the videos I've seen of thieves cutting through the steering wheel took only seconds. It's not as cumbersome as you think it is. All they have to do is make one cut on either side of where the Club attaches to the steering wheel. The cutting was maybe 15 seconds. Then the thief yanks on the longer span of the wheel to bend it out of the way. Then the thief just lifts the Club out of the way. Literally seconds.

People think the steering wheel is made of super hard metal. It's not. It has to collapse/give a little due to safety to prevent major injury when a driver can impact the steering wheel in a crash.
Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Or less:

· Premium Member
524 Posts
Yep. I'm very mindful of if a car thief wants your vehicle, they're going to get it. Especially, the professional ones. With that in mind, the number one thing I have in place to combat this....good insurance. I used to put alarms and such in my vehicles. I've stopped doing that. Someone once asked if I ever want my vehicle back if it was stolen....he said he wouldn't.

And more so, theft with sport bikes is even more precarious than cars. Good thieves won't even bother worrying about attacking any of the anti-theft devices on site. They'll just pull up in a van, pick up the bike, throw it in the van on top of a mattress, and drive away. When they get where they get, they can then take their time tearing into the bike. I waited till I had homes with a garage before buying my motorcycles.

· Registered
62 Posts
As far as I know, these mud guards have always been an optional accessory and not factory installed. It's not uncommon for these types of accessories to be dealer installed options or at the port of entry/arrival. BMW has a few options that are installed at the port of receiving here in the States before the car is sent to the dealer.
That is likely a correct assumption. My 2022 Nightshade did NOT come with factory installed mud guards. I installed the non-branded aftermarket flaps for cheap and about 20 minutes of my time. I could have had the official Toyota mud guards installed at the dealership for just an additional $1 mil. :rolleyes: Toyota retailers have never been shy with the up sale.

I checked today and i don't have them. I will order them from Toyota, but I'm really surprised that they are selling cars where snow is almost getting inside the car....
Uh huh. I just murdered a signpost (and damn near myself) sliding down an onramp into a ditch on some black ice yesterday. Turns out Toyota doesn't sell life insurance policies either. Like everything else I can find those on the aftermarket.

I'm fine. Surprisingly my car doesn't even have a scratch, and by some inversion of physics I was able to rock a FWD car out of a snowy ditch without having to call a wench. My body and ego a little bruised up. However, I'm afraid the sign is no more. It didn't die in vain. It gave its life preventing my car from sliding onto the interstate.

Maybe the city can replace it with a sign that says "Caution, Black Ice Here Because We're Lazy".
Car Tire Vehicle Road surface Asphalt

Ground NOT flat

· Registered
24 Posts
Uh huh. I just murdered a signpost (and damn near myself) sliding down an onramp into a ditch on some black ice yesterday. Turns out Toyota doesn't sell life insurance policies either. Like everything else I can find those on the aftermarket.

I'm fine. Surprisingly my car doesn't even have a scratch, and by some inversion of physics I was able to rock a FWD car out of a snowy ditch without having to call a wench. My body and ego a little bruised up. However, I'm afraid the sign is no more. It didn't die in vain. It gave its life preventing my car from sliding onto the interstate.

Maybe the city can replace it with a sign that says "Caution, Black Ice Here Because We're Lazy".

Ground NOT flat
Glad you are OK after this incident.

I highly recommend staying away from wenches, they bruise more than ego :LOL:

I drove during snowmaggedon last Friday. For most part I had turned off traction control and managed to drive just fine on ice and deep snow. Mind you, I have almost 30 years of experience of driving in such conditions and over past few years snow tires as well...

Reactions: RoLleRKoaSTeR

· Registered
213 Posts
Checked the back doors - we did not get much snow and too cold to drive during it. Did not see any buildup of ice or anything behind the back door.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts