Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Scion will introduce an all-new concept car at the L.A. Auto Show, and bets are that it will be the iR city car.

Scion trademarked the iR name back in April, and the car could be the third new model in Toyota’s affordable “youth brand” lineup. The brand this year came out with its iA, a rebadged Mazda2 sedan, and the iM, which is a Toyota Auris/Yaris hatchback in disguise.

We can see from the teaser photo that the Scion badge sits on a hatchback, and with the Scion iQ being discontinued, there is room in the lineup for a small city car.

ALSO SEE: 2016 Scion iM Review

Earlier this year, a Scion executive said that the third new car in the lineup wouldn’t be a crossover, but that it would be based on a global Toyota product, like the Aygo, a five-door sub-compact city car.

Not much other information is available, but AutoGuide.com will be at the L.A. Auto Show covering all the reveals live from the show floor.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The Scion iA design came from Mazda so maybe Toyota will partner with them again for the iR. Not a bad partnership. Mazda design and Toyota reliability equals a win car.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The Scion iA design came from Mazda so maybe Toyota will partner with them again for the iR. Not a bad partnership. Mazda design and Toyota reliability equals a win car.
I have a feeling the iR will come from another company, Mazda might be it. Had a look at Toyota Japan's website and there was nothing like it that has a rear hatch as seen in this teaser.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My ones concern with the teaser picture is that the rear windshield looks a bit small. Would that affect my rear vision?

·
Registered
551 Posts
hard to tell from that picture alone, we need to see the entire windshield along with more of the rear section and rear side profile of the vehicle. Ultimately you'll have to sit inside to really test it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
We may have to wait until next year for the reveal. Haven't seen anything from Autoguide or anywhere for that matter.

·
Registered
257 Posts
From the teaser, we can see that the iR will most likely come in red, what other colors will be available? Or will they use similar color palette as the iA?

·
Registered
410 Posts
We'll most likely see it in the generic colors; white, black, blue, silver, grey and red. What I'm interested in is the one special color that it should get to separate itself from the other Scion models. The iM has Spring Green and the iA has the dark blue called Abyss.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A darker shade of red? The iA has two blue paints, one lighter and one darker (Abyss). Would be great if this is what they go with for the iR. Or maybe something way out there like purple.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The concept looks so nice but it will be toned down a lot in it's production model. Could be a let down for some people who fell in love with the concept if Scion doesn't stick to it as much as they can.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Won't be a let down at all when you compare it's production model to everything else on the market. People already know what to expect.

·
Registered
257 Posts
We'll just have to wait and see. Maybe Scion will wow us but I just hope they don't tone it down too much like the iM. The iM production model looks boring compared to the concept model. At least keep the grille shape and the nose if not the two side air intake design.

·
Registered
410 Posts
hoping it retains most of those ridges and design concepts. If it's going to be similar to the toyota Aygo than I can see it looking a bit out of the norm.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wouldn't mind if they had a similar rear light design as the Toyota Agyo. I like how it expends from the bottom of the trunk glass to the start of the roof.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's going to face off with cars like the the Juke, the Mazda CX-3, or the Jeep Renegade when it hits the streets.

They all have distinctive designs so if Scion wants to compete with them, they too will need something different.

·
Registered
257 Posts
In terms of design, yes Scion will need to step it up but you can't really compare a city car to the Jeep Renegade that's built with off road capabilities.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Mazda's typically are sportier, how they look and drive, Toyota's are more laid back, but this should have decent get up and go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts