Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read from Wards Auto that the iA is attracting more female buyers than male buyers.

Many auto brands traditionally market, if not design and engineer, a vehicle to a male audience, as research has shown men will not buy what they perceive to be a female-focused vehicle, but women will purchase a “man’s car.”
Maybe this will push Scion to stick with the iR concept design as much as possible because it looks aggressive and sporty, something female buyers prefer.

They didn't mention the iM buyer demographic by itself so I assume it was more attractive to male buyers than females.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Always thought this was weird, it was a similar case with the Miata, but now look at the Miata, even the older models that was thought to be too 'girly' now you see the tone on that changing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's odd that designs are seen as male or female in the first place, but this trend is true. Don't see many men driving around in VW Beetles.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still don't understand what makes a car feminine or masculine. If it looks good, it looks good.

·
Registered
551 Posts
What i noticed it comes down to is a vehicle without much power with softer lines, Miata and Beetle are exactly these, except the Miata is light and fun to push around with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the iR may come out with soft lines? Going to be a hard sell to the yuccies with that.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Might just depend on where those soft lines are at.

Best thing we can do is look at what Toyota/Lexus/Scion already has on the market and what they will soon... the corolla is going through a refresh that we might see at the Detroit show

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think size also has something to do with it. Most feminine cars are smaller in size.
That's part of it as well, one of the reasons why the Miata was seen to be a womens car. Then there's the Evoque coupe, which I see mostly women driving in, and that's a small luxury SUV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts