Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in for it's first oil change. I drove home and parked it in the garage. Later that evening I left for a while. Upon my return home, as I was pulling in the garage, I see an immense amount of fluid on the garage floor. I checked quickly before pulling in and it was oil.

My oil light never came on and I checked the fluid level and it wasn't very low. Needless to say, I was furious. I drove down to the dealer first thing next morning in my truck, handed them my paperwork and showed them a picture. They did the right thing and sent a flatbed to pick up the car and clean up the oil. I was there when they put it on the lift to see what the problem was. Drain plug was tight, filter was tight....tech removes drain plug and the pic below is what this washer looked like. They said they had recently been getting new looking drain washers from Toyota and opened up a case with Toyota having no idea or explanation for what caused this. It was a giant mishap, but the dealer made it right so no harm, no foul in the end.

Anyone have any past experience like this or have any idea what to make of the gasket situation? Some obvious observations: The gasket appears to be aluminum with a blue material (ceramic? Teflon?) that is adhered to the aluminum with some black 'goo'. I am going to guess this is a result of heat. But I have to believe someone thought about the idea that it would get hot and pick compatible materials. Bizarre.

Joint Hand Leg Gesture Finger

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Have no idea what the blue or black material is. I've done countless number of oil changes across many different types of engines. I've never had one leak due to a failure of the crush washer; that's the proper name for what you're referring to as a gasket. I have to admit, I haven't ever replaced a crush washer unless it came with the oil filter. BMW oil filters come with crush washers and if applicable o rings for the oil filter housing. I don't remember if the Mann filter I got for the last oil change on my 135i came with a crush washer or not.

However, it is proper procedure to replace the crush washer. The crush washer on the drain plug for my C-HR is just a plain aluminum washer and has been even when the dealer was doing the included oil changes as part of Toyota Care.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Toyota C-HR XLE in Blizzrd Pearl
95 Posts
zx is absolutely correct, it should be replaced with the oil change. that one looks like that was the original crush washer, reused, and over-torqued. Glad they took such good care of you.

Remember, the new techs are usually the ones that do the oil changes so you might have been someone's first time! Congrats on that! lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I had replied to this. Yes I am very familiar with changing oils. Only reason I had them doing it is b/c a number of oil changes came with the toyo care thing that I "had" to buy. Otherwise, I have been changing all my own oils since I was a kid.

I don't believe it was the original and I don't think, even if it was, what happened is a result of using it a 2nd time. These are oem washers. If you google this you will see them for sale, all blue as pictured. The blue material delaminating did not strike me as over torque damage. The aluminum material was still perfectly flat. I have over torqued copper crush washers and they deform. This aluminum under the blue material was not deformed at all. It's still a mystery at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i , hope Toyota is in the process off repairing the Ch-r. before, it turns into a Bad name for Toyota.Kia & Hyn. Never thought saving money on not fixing security issues - would turn into the problem it has.Staying with USA going forward.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts