Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Created an account about a month ago but owned my CH-R for two years. I am happy with the car because it's been reliable and has gotten me to work and back (paramedic nyc) to multiple hospitals I work for. Living in the bronx and driving to all other boroughs except S.I. I also installed after market music so I do enjoy the ride...but...

I am growing a little.. idk.. tired of it? Maybe it's just me as I've owned Toyota's since returning from Iraq in 2007. I've been looking at the 21 Supra. Yes, I am aware there two totally different lifestyle but I just wish the CH-R came with a bit more umph! Maybe AWD and some more ponies?! But overall I can't say she hasn't been reliable... she has 100%.(y)

·
Super Moderator
298 Posts
Hi. Former EMT here.

I get what you're saying about this car. I tell everyone it's a half finished car. The suspension is top notch in my opinion. I've tossed this thing around in the twisties and come away impressed. All the promo about this car having had tuning sessions on the Nurburgring shows. To me, it's inexcusable for Toyota not have put the engine used in the Lexus UX and the Corolla HB into the C-HR. Also, we as North American consumers get the big screw with Toyota as the overseas markets get different powerplant and transmission choices. While the 1.2L turbo 4 isn't anything to write home about, you can get it with a 6 speed manual which makes up for the anemic power. They also get a hybrid engine option which if I remember correctly puts out close to 180 HP. And they also get an AWD option. As is, the C-HR in the NA market is the slowest CUV. There are some mods which claim to provide a modest bump in power. To me, it's not worth the money spent.

With all that said, I got the C-HR for a daily driver/beater to haul my daughter around and also have cargo space. My itch for a sporty experience is scratched by my BMW 135i and my motorcycles. I have thought about getting the new Supra. What you need to keep in mind, the new Supra is more or less a BMW. So keep this in mind. The B58 engine used in the Supra has been shown to be very mod friendly and a stout engine. I've also thought about getting a M2 Competition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Former EMT here.

I get what you're saying about this car. I tell everyone it's a half finished car. The suspension is top notch in my opinion. I've tossed this thing around in the twisties and come away impressed. All the promo about this car having had tuning sessions on the Nurburgring shows. To me, it's inexcusable for Toyota not have put the engine used in the Lexus UX and the Corolla HB into the C-HR. Also, we as North American consumers get the big screw with Toyota as the overseas markets get different powerplant and transmission choices. While the 1.2L turbo 4 isn't anything to write home about, you can get it with a 6 speed manual which makes up for the anemic power. They also get a hybrid engine option which if I remember correctly puts out close to 180 HP. And they also get an AWD option. As is, the C-HR in the NA market is the slowest CUV. There are some mods which claim to provide a modest bump in power. To me, it's not worth the money spent.

With all that said, I got the C-HR for a daily driver/beater to haul my daughter around and also have cargo space. My itch for a sporty experience is scratched by my BMW 135i and my motorcycles. I have thought about getting the new Supra. What you need to keep in mind, the new Supra is more or less a BMW. So keep this in mind. The B58 engine used in the Supra has been shown to be very mod friendly and a stout engine. I've also thought about getting a M2 Competition.
Im completely aware of toyota and bmw. I mean its 2020 all this crap about how it isn't a real toyota and blah blah blah.. to my knowledge the original mark supras with the 2jays didnt sell so hot while they were around and bmw has been proven so whats the issue with merging with them🤷🏻‍♂️. At this point i might just stick with my chr especially since, like you said, mods for what🤦🏻‍♂️ music.. infotainment and thats about it.

·
Super Moderator
298 Posts
Not arguing with you on all the hate going around with the Supra. Because the Supra wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the collaboration. For Toyota to be true to the previous gen, it would have to dump a ton of money into developing an inline 6 which they don't have. I'm thinking about the Supra because I don't particularly care for convertibles which is the only way the BMW Z4 comes in. The only thing I would be slightly concerned about is that the Supra has a lot of BMW in it. I don't know if the Toyota dealer techs have been adequately trained up and if there is a problem they can't fix how would it be handled?

Having lived with my 135i for 6 years now, it's been more or less reliable. The B58 motor is still fairly new compared to the N54/N55 motors. I'm curious as to see if the B58 will still have the quirks of the previous N motors such as leaky oil filter housing gaskets, leaky valve covers, and leaky oil pan gaskets. The oil filter housing gasket issue has been a constant for the BMW inline 6s for generations. Can't understand why BMW can't figure this problem out. It's a cheap part but with the turbo motors requires a ton of labor to get to the part. And when it leaks, it leaks bad. I do know the B58 has the timing chain assembly on the back of the motor against the firewall. So if there is any valve train issues, good luck. But at least BMW got a clue and put back a oil dipstick and went to a mechanical water pump. The lack of a dipstick in the previous inline 6s was a real annoyance. I'm about to replace an oil level sensor which is the only way I can check the oil level in my engine to the tune of $190 for the sensor only and doing it myself. And the electric water pump....what a dumb idea. These pumps have a reputation of failing without warning and when it does you're pretty much calling a tow truck.

On my C-HR, I've pretty much reached the end of my modding with it. I got the base LE so pretty much bare bones basic. I've added HID headlights, factory LED fog lights, splash/mud guards, tow hitch, and recently replaced the stock rear view mirror with a Gentex auto dimming mirror with Homelink. Whenever someone comes out with a suitable head unit so I can get Android Auto, I'm doing that as Toyota seems to be inept with providing an upgrade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts