Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
There is no specific maintenance with turbos and intercoolers. An intercooler is a non mechanical part. Its function is to lower temperature of the compressed/charged air from the turbo before it enters the intake manifold. It does this by passive cooling from air running across the cooling fins as the car moves.

The biggest killers of turbos are heat and poor lubrication. There really isn't anything you can do about the heat portion as that's just a design aspect of the turbo/engine implementation. Some turbos have engine coolant circulated through to help cool off the turbo; specifically the area around the bearings. With the lubrication part, that is something you can influence by regular oil changes. I don't know what Toyota recommends as the oil change intervals as we don't have the 1.2L turbo 4 option here in the US. The oil change interval for the 2.0L 4 that is sold here in the US is every 10,000 miles. If your recommended oil change interval is similar, I would cut that in half or three quarters. Having good fresh oil will always be a positive thing for turbo longevity.

My BMW has a 3.0L turbo 6. It's got over 98,000 miles on it and so far no issues with the turbo. BMW has the recommended oil change intervals at around 15,000 miles. I've ignored that from day one and have changed the oil around 7500 miles.

Inspection wise. Unless you're willing to tear down parts to get a look at the intercooler and turbo, it's just not something normally done unless there are problems requiring an inspection. You can probably pull off the charge pipe/intake tube from the intercooler going into the intake manifold to see if there is any pooling of oil. Some oil there is normal. But if you have a big pool of oil, this can indicate some issues with the turbo. Some of the BMW guys have installed oil catch cans that plumb into the intake tract to catch excess oil. This provides a way to prevent excess oil from entering into the intake manifold that can decrease the chances of carbon build up. It also provides you with an easy way to see what is going on with oil blow by without tearing down the piping/tubing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts