Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello when we use LDA mode we can noticeably feel the car get pulled either direction when it’s activated . Can anyone tell me what actually occurs to make the steering wheel or car able to be pulled without me turning the steering wheel? I understand a computer makes it happen but what device pulls the steering without me? Is there some motor attached to the steering column that can turn the steering wheel? I just want to understand what actually did Toyota do to make the car able to turn the steering without me doing it . Please help me and thank you

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
The reason this is possible is due to the electric power steering (EPS) system in the car. There's an electric motor that provides the power assist. LDA wasn't possible with the old hydraulic power steering systems. Information is gathered via the camera mounted in the pod where the interior review mirror is mounted. The camera picks up on the lane markings on the road and if it determines you're not centered will provide automated steering input to get the car centered again. When you use your turn signal, it tells the computer you are intentionally leaving the lane so no lane assist is provided.

EPS is essential with self driving technology. Also EPS was instituted for environmental regs requirement as the power steering pump used in hydraulic steering systems provides enough of a parasitic draw to consume additional gas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason this is possible is due to the electric power steering (EPS) system in the car. There's an electric motor that provides the power assist. LDA wasn't possible with the old hydraulic power steering systems. Information is gathered via the camera mounted in the pod where the interior review mirror is mounted. The camera picks up on the lane markings on the road and if it determines you're not centered will provide automated steering input to get the car centered again. When you use your turn signal, it tells the computer you are intentionally leaving the lane so no lane assist is provided.

EPS is essential with self driving technology. Also EPS was instituted for environmental regs requirement as the power steering pump used in hydraulic steering systems provides enough of a parasitic draw to consume additional gas.
Thanks I understand totally . I’m so happy I can imagine it when it pulls more. Thanks much .btw did you see my post about sport mode and the suspension being stiffer? Maybe you know what occurring . Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.