Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Kenwood DDX9905S and PAC AUDIO SWI-CP2 Steering Wheel Controller

9K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  jadehawk 
#1 ·
Finished my Install of the Kenwood DDX9905S and decided to use the PAC Audio SWI-CP2 Steering Wheel Controller.

I got the radio from Crutchfield and they do recommend the use of the Axxess ASWC-1 Steering wheel controller. It apparently is very easy to install and you can (Supposedly) Get an extra harness (you pay for it) that allows you to install it without tapping wires (Plug & Play).

In the Reviews for the Axxess ASWC-1 (At the Crutchfield site) There are Plenty of happy customers, but also 100 Negative reviews. One of those reviews is for the CH-R 2018.

The reviewer explains that the manufacturer failed to let Crutchfield know that you will not get ALL the buttons to work using said controller and that you "MAY" get an update by the end of the year.

So that is enough for me to decide to try another controller. Enter the PAC Audio SWI-CP2 (Universal Steering Wheel Controller) The controller's harness comes with more wires that you will ever need. I took the time and simply removed them and only left the "7" Wires needed for the installation.

I can confirm that All buttons on steering wheel work, INCLUDING the Answer/Hangup and Voice Control. 3 of the 7 wires will need to be connected to the Vehicles 28 Pin harness, the other 4 you will connect to the "Metra (70-1761) Harness / and one to the New Radio Harness"

Picture Part I

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
SIDE NOTE:
You will need the "Metra 40-LX11 Antenna Adapter" This adapter has a BLUE WIRE sticking out of it.
Make sure you wired the BLUE WIRE from your NEW radio HARNESS to this BLUE WIRE on the antenna adapter and NOT to the METRA 70-1761 Harness (It also has a BLUE WIRE but will not provide power to your antenna). Otherwise you will get bad to NO reception to your NEW Radio. :)

Attachments

#5 ·
In the Reviews for the Axxess ASWC-1 (At the Crutchfield site) There are Plenty of happy customers, but also 100 Negative reviews. One of those reviews is for the CH-R 2018.

The reviewer explains that the manufacturer failed to let Crutchfield know that you will not get ALL the buttons to work using said controller and that you "MAY" get an update by the end of the year.
Interesting. I know a few people at Metra and heard a completely different story. They sent me 3 pieces. The ASWC controller itself, AX-TOYUSB - USB adapter to keep my factory USB port in the center console, and the AX-TOY28SWC adapter to maintain the factory steering wheel controls without having to cut into the factory wiring.

From what i was told, everything is plug in play, there is no need to program.

I'm going to try to install everything this weekend. Right now, I have the radio installed, but i need to reroute a few wires as I just threw them on the dash for the Microphone and the GPS unit for testing. So after this weekend, I should have a better idea on if the Metra kit does or does not work. I will get back to you.

#6 ·
The Metra Steering Wheel Controller may have gotten the update by now. So hopefully it should work for you.

Considering the other negative reviews I personally preferred to go with PAC Audio. but that is just me.

#7 ·
Well I hope Metra doesn't let me down... I was sponsored by them for many years and with about 10 different vehicle builds.

I'm curious if the review from that CHR driver did any attempt at programming. I know you are able to go into the unit and manually program buttons. So im curious if the hang up and pick up cellphone buttons do not work, If i will be successful at programming them.

#8 ·
The Metra kit does work!!!

The caviot is.... you have to manually program the on hook and off hook. The PTT does not work... but I have the button programmed to turn the radio into standby so its shuts off.

Apparently the PTT only works with Alpine and eclipse, so Kenwood lost out... no biggy!!!

I'm glad I have all my controls back!!!

Reactions: sho23 and jadehawk
#9 ·
UPDATE!!!!!:

I talked to my buddy Dallas at Metra...

He assured me that the push to talk button (For Google or Siri or whatever) would work that I must have programmed it wrong. He was right!

I went through the programming again and manually programmed the SWC. After redoing it, it worked great!

So it is working, but what i did notice, it works only when in Android Auto or Kenwood Connect!

Im excited now!!! everything is working again!!!

Reactions: sho23
#10 ·
Good News that all is working, You said that the PTT only works with Android Auto or kenwood Connect, I never paid attention to that, now I must check if the PTT works without AA or KC on my way home today.

Thanx for the update on the Metra Kit

#11 ·
Confirmed That At least on my car with the Kenwood Head Unit. For the PTT button to work you must be connected to a phone via Bluetooth or Cable. Android Auto or Kenwood Home is not required, just a Bluetooth connection the PTT Button takes advantage of the Google Assistant to work at least when it is connected to an Android phone. I figure it will use SIRI if connected to an Iphone but I can't test that..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.