Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got the Gentex auto dimming with Homelink mirror from Amazon today after waiting about 3 weeks. The install was pretty straight forward. Everything seemed to be going so smoothly until I got around to trying to install all the plastic covers/trim pieces covering the forward camera. I just got the main piece on and the final cover just wedged it temporarily in place. I'm going to have to grind down the plastics to make it fit right. Not sure which piece to attack yet.

But it's nice to not have to have my garage door remotes clipped to the sun visor. Also, I found that for what ever reason the garage door opener for the Genie opener doesn't work well when clipped to the visor. I have to some times flip the visor down to get the door to open or take the remote totally off of the visor. Initial tests of the Gentex Homelink setup is showing the Homelink has plenty of range and works really well.

I'll put up a how to in the future if anyone wants to tackle this project. There is some custom wiring required as I cut off the wiring harness from the stock mirror to splice into the Gentex wiring. The interesting thing is it appears Gentex uses a similar harness as what Toyota does which leads me to believe that the stock auto dimming mirror was sourced from them. You also need to get an mirror mount extender to provide the extension needed to get the Gentex mirror positiioned correctly. It'll make sense when I post up pictures.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota C-HR XLE in Blizzrd Pearl
81 Posts
waking it up again...did your stock mirror have auto dimming? I'm confused by what harness would be removed from the regular mirror for this one.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I've been away from the forum for a while. Yes, I did complete the project and it's been great. I have to dig up the photos I took during the process of doing this retrofit.

Yes, my stock mirror had auto dimming from the factory so I tapped into the wiring harness used to facilitate the factory auto dimming. I noticed Toyota took away the auto dimming feature with the 2020 and later models. If you're in that boat, you'll have find a suitable power source at the pod where the rear view mirror mounts or run a power cable along the headliner and A pillar to a switched power circuit. You don't want to have the mirror to be constantly active as someone could break in your car and open your garage door if it's parked outside. Fortunately for me, the factory power feed for the auto dimming is switched.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota C-HR XLE in Blizzrd Pearl
81 Posts
Sorry, I've been away from the forum for a while. Yes, I did complete the project and it's been great. I have to dig up the photos I took during the process of doing this retrofit.

Yes, my stock mirror had auto dimming from the factory so I tapped into the wiring harness used to facilitate the factory auto dimming. I noticed Toyota took away the auto dimming feature with the 2020 and later models. If you're in that boat, you'll have find a suitable power source at the pod where the rear view mirror mounts or run a power cable along the headliner and A pillar to a switched power circuit. You don't want to have the mirror to be constantly active as someone could break in your car and open your garage door if it's parked outside. Fortunately for me, the factory power feed for the auto dimming is switched.
I'm looking at installing just the autodimming mirror as they stopped putting autodimming in the 2019 Limited apparently...either or, they don't come in my XLE, so looks like I'm hunting for a power source...there must be one up there since we have the connect services, and whatnot...(I don't have a garage at my condo anyway...but maybe I install one anyway for future residences once we sell the condo...)

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I found the pics I took of my install. It's not as thorough as I had thought they would be. I guess I just took a few and just kept moving with the install.

So this is the mirror I purchased which shows as no longer being available on Amazon. I would think any of the newer models would be similar electrically in operation.

Amazon.com: Gentex Series 8 Frameless Auto-Dimming Mirror with Homelink 50-genk80a : Automotive

You will need this adapter as the pod for the front facing camera for the Toyota Sense safety system prevents any ability to adjust the mirror above properly. The mirror above has the "normal" length arm which won't clear the pod. Gentex does make mirrors with extended arms to clear the pod but I don't know which ones those are.

Amazon.com: Brandmotion 5000-SPCR Windshield Mirror Wedge Mount Spacer : Automotive

Here is a pic of the stock mirror on the right and the Gentex mirror on the left.

Mirror Vision care Automotive mirror Eyewear Eye glass accessory

I decided to cut off the wiring harness from the stock mirror to use to graft in the harness for the Gentex.

Here is the pic of what is behind the pod.

Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design

The harness in question is the one on the right with the white connector on top.

Here is a pic of the inside of the outer plastic housing for the pod. Note that the pod slides forward towards the windshield to be removed. There is a plastic panel that clips into place at the back of that housing I did not show. This plastic piece has to be trimmed back to allow for adequate clearance for the arm of the Gentex mirror to clear and be adjusted. I used a Dremel to grind down the opening.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Here is a pic of the mirror harness.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting

Close up of the mirror side of the wiring harness for the factory auto dimming mirror.

Water Automotive lighting Gas Body jewelry Jewellery

Pic of the Gentex harness end that is supposed to connect to the car.

Floor Wood Gas Flooring Composite material

Pic if the spliced together harnesses to make the Gentex work with the factory harness in the car.

Composite material Technology Electric blue Tail Flooring

Note the wires I used. On the Gentex side, the yellow wire is for constant power for the Homelink function of the mirror. I opted to wire it together with the main power feed for the diming function of the mirror; as this is drawing power from the factory mirror harness which is switched. The reason why I did it this way as I mentioned above is to not have the Homelink buttons active when the car is shut off. You'll also notice that there are three additional wires that are not used from the factory auto dimming mirror. I don't know what they're for but they're not even used with the factory implementation.

Close up of the spliced end for the factory harness.

Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic component Cable Wire

And a pic of everything installed with the outer housing not installed back yet.

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

You'll notice I wrapped the entire modified wiring harness with electrical tape for protection.

I've had this running for two years without issue. The auto dimming works the same as the factory mirror. The only slight gripe I have is the Gentex mirror I have doesn't dim from edge to edge of the mirror. There is a small undimmed border that goes all the way around the mirror. So this area will reflect any light thrown into the car from a headlight. And of course you have to program each Homelink button.

Hope this helps anyone looking to do this mod. It's another of those features that once you have you never want to go back to not having one. Yes, you can go old school with clipping a garage door opener to the sun visor. But then you have security issues with anyone that may break into your car having access to your garage door opener. Having this cleans up the interior where you're not having remotes clipped to your sun visor. I have two homes with garages. It becomes annoying to have two garage door openers clipped to the sun visor. And finally, you don't have to deal with replacing batteries in your garage door openers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts