Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got the Gentex auto dimming with Homelink mirror from Amazon today after waiting about 3 weeks. The install was pretty straight forward. Everything seemed to be going so smoothly until I got around to trying to install all the plastic covers/trim pieces covering the forward camera. I just got the main piece on and the final cover just wedged it temporarily in place. I'm going to have to grind down the plastics to make it fit right. Not sure which piece to attack yet.

But it's nice to not have to have my garage door remotes clipped to the sun visor. Also, I found that for what ever reason the garage door opener for the Genie opener doesn't work well when clipped to the visor. I have to some times flip the visor down to get the door to open or take the remote totally off of the visor. Initial tests of the Gentex Homelink setup is showing the Homelink has plenty of range and works really well.

I'll put up a how to in the future if anyone wants to tackle this project. There is some custom wiring required as I cut off the wiring harness from the stock mirror to splice into the Gentex wiring. The interesting thing is it appears Gentex uses a similar harness as what Toyota does which leads me to believe that the stock auto dimming mirror was sourced from them. You also need to get an mirror mount extender to provide the extension needed to get the Gentex mirror positiioned correctly. It'll make sense when I post up pictures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, just waking up this post, did you ever put together the "how to" for this project?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts