Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the Morimoto Elite HID system onto my 2019 CHR. It went well and it looks great, but I am just now realizing that the ground wire that runs along the length of the bulb is showing. It looks like a shadow in the beam pattern, or a dead spot. From research, it looks like the wire should be facing directly down at 6 oclock. For these bulbs, they are facing either 10 oclock or 4 oclock. Anyone running similar bulbs and ran into this issue? What other HID brands are you guys running that do not have this ground wire shadow issue.

·
Super Moderator
269 Posts
I have to see how my bulbs are oriented. But I haven't noticed any shadow or weird beam dispersion patterns. The kit I purchased is from Xenon Depot and are said to be Philips bulbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to see how my bulbs are oriented. But I haven't noticed any shadow or weird beam dispersion patterns. The kit I purchased is from Xenon Depot and are said to be Philips bulbs.
Ok, would you mind sending me a link to the bulbs? And let me know the orientation of the bulbs. The ground wire shadow is very annoying lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
https://www.xenondepot.com/9012-HID-Kit-Bulb-p/xt-9012-rb.htm
Is it these? If they truly fit correctly with the ground wire facing down on both the drivers and passenger side, I might exchange my current bulbs with these. If you can let me know how they fit in the headlight housing, that would be extremely helpful!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok looks good, if they fit better than the Morimoto XB HID bulbs then I might pick these up as a replacement. If possible, let me know how they fit in your CHR.

Here is a pic I got from Google for reference. Even though it's an online photo, it looks practically identical to mine. The location of the shadow in the beam pattern is exactly where mine is.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
269 Posts
I checked my bulbs and if you're looking from the bulb end towards the back/connector, the ground wire is at about the 3 o'clock position. I'll have to wait till it gets dark to see if I'm seeing any shadow issues that you're experiencing. But up to this point, I haven't noticed anything odd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked my bulbs and if you're looking from the bulb end towards the back/connector, the ground wire is at about the 3 o'clock position. I'll have to wait till it gets dark to see if I'm seeing any shadow issues that you're experiencing. But up to this point, I haven't noticed anything odd.
For both the driver and passenger? So the ground wire is basically parallel to the floor? As long as there is no issues with shadows, that seems better than what mine are currently at. One bulb is at like 10Oclock and the other is at 4 to 5 oclock. Let me know how the shadows look (if any).

·
Super Moderator
269 Posts
For both the driver and passenger? So the ground wire is basically parallel to the floor? As long as there is no issues with shadows, that seems better than what mine are currently at. One bulb is at like 10Oclock and the other is at 4 to 5 oclock. Let me know how the shadows look (if any).
Yes. Both bulbs are identical as far as I can tell in being able to be inserted into the headlight assembly one way. I took a picture of my drive home in the dark. You can see no shadow and even distribution of lighting.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. Both bulbs are identical as far as I can tell in being able to be inserted into the headlight assembly one way. I took a picture of my drive home in the dark. You can see no shadow and even distribution of lighting.
Oh wow, looks perfect and so much better than what's going on with mine. I am going to pick up a pair of these! Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate your time!

·
Super Moderator
269 Posts
No worries. I've been pretty happy with the Xenon Depot kit. It also helps that they are responsive via email and by phone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I just got my Xenon Depot bulbs and I noticed that the ground wire is brown instead of white. From what I understand, the brown wire is a 4300k color and the white is 5000k, did yours come with a brown or white wire? Also the ground wire is at a 3 to 4 oclock position, is this where yours is? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
269 Posts
I just checked one of the bulbs. The wire is brown. I never heard of the color of the wire indicator the color temp. And the ground wire is at about the 3 o'clock position when mounted in the headlight assembly.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for the useful info guys.

The bulbs themselves look very affordable, much lower than what I was expecting.
Did you upgrade the housing as well?

·
Super Moderator
269 Posts
No. I did not upgrade the housing. I got into a heated debate with someone over at the Toyota Nation forum about this. He said I didn't do a proper upgrade and that I needed to spend another few hundred to get a proper HID housing. Whatever. The bulb upgrade works perfectly fine as you can see from the picture I posted. Also, I have a comparison between this car and my BMW which came from the factory with HIDs. No difference in beam pattern and illumination. Just another dude looking to show off his e-peen to justify how much money he spent.

The only thing I did do as I've mentioned on other posts is to have the lens of the factory housing clear vinyl wrapped to preserve the housing from pitting and hazing over time. It's not even a year yet since purchasing my car and I have seen some significant divets in the vinyl which would have done a number on the plastic/UV coating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts