Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, today my new C-HR has been doing something weird. 4 times today when I would try to start it it would take longer than normal to start (easily 5-10 seconds) cranking before starting.

Anyone experienced this? It's like 22 degrees Celsius outside and their is no issue with the battery since I was doing about 100km of highway driving.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw, I've got the 2.0 litre engine (the only one offered in North America)

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's super weird.

If it keeps cranking and isn't turning over, one would assume that you aren't getting fuel right away or something. Can you hear the injectors priming?

Of course, the best thing is to send that over to the dealership asap.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got to check if there was a code in the OBD: u0124 - Lost Communication With Lateral Acceleration Sensor (LAS) Module

Guess I'm going to have to bring it to the dealer to get it checked...

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's really odd. Keep us updated on what the dealership changes or updates in order to fix the issue. I'm not really too sure what that LAS module is.. I'll do some research though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car is at the dealer. Being an internittent problem they might want to charge if it doesn't do it when at the service bay. Anyways I had 2 videos of it cranking so I also gave it to them. We'll see what they find.. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
551 Posts
This has me wondering if owners in Europe are experiencing something similar and if they are working on a solution. That could provide Toyota US and US dealers some direction. Did they at least give you a loaner/free rental?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went to the Toyota Gabriel (in VIlle St-Laurent, QC) dealer on Monday to get it checked at. Naturally the car didn't do it while it was there (happens mostly after long highway drives) but no worries I had 2 videos over the weekend of the car cranking for 5-7 seconds before starting.

So the dealer tells me that if the car isn't doing it while it ios there there will be a fee for the checkup! That's when I got annoyed.

Anyways at the end of the day the called me back and started telling me that they upgraded the firmware of the car so that it is like it left the facotry floor (they erased the code in the computer) and they start telling me some mumbo jumbo story about the block heater is responsable for this and it is normal and it is a new feature in all the new Toyota's. Wow I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Anyways I was really anxious to see the work order of what it is they did.

Went to pickup the car and no work order was ever filled out! Asked them over the phone and by email to know get exactly what was done and since I didn't want to pay for the diagnostics fee they wouldn't fill out a work order. According to them I have to 'provide us more evidence when , where , and what does it do when the engine start cranking could help us find the problem' and seems the provided videos according to them show nothing wrong.

So hopefully the car doesn't do this anymore since the OBD has been cleared....

·
Registered
248 Posts
I highly suggest you go to another dealership as that one that you went to seems to full of "tools". With my knowledge of engines and what not, I can't for the life of me figure out how the block heater has anything to do with the car struggling to turn over. What does sound like will happen will be a prematurely failing starter motor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI, I had also written to Toyota Canada and same this from their end:

an excerpt from their response:

Toyota Canada Inc. has a very comprehensive warranty that will cover the costs of repairing your vehicle when a difficulty arises as the result of a manufacturing defect experienced within the parameters of the warranty. However, we would like to mention that the warranty covers only repair costs for conditions related to defects in materials or workmanship. Therefore, if you allow the Toyota dealership to perform diagnosis and you will be responsible for certain charges.

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's absolutely ridiculous. It sounds maybe like a lack of voltage or something. UNLESS what they're trying to say is the block heater is drawing power for some reason constantly (which it shouldn't as it requires to be plugged in for it to be used) but I wouldn't want to pay for any diagnostic charges.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't even have a block heater installed on the car! So I guess they just wanted me to leave. Anyways since they cleared the codes in the OBD it hasn't re done it since so I cross my fingers that's the last of it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it's done it twice in the last week again. arghhh.... just gonna have to wait until it dies on me or go for my first service at 5000km

·
Registered
248 Posts
..... If you don't have a block heater, how in the heck did they claim it was the block heaters fault? I would send an email or even one up, call Toyota head office customer service and complain. They'll shoot over a message to the dealership and ensure that it gets dealt with properly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Salut je travail chez Toyota Valleyfield et j ai le meme probleme avec mon Ch-r on est justement entrain de faire des recherches . je vous tient au courant des développement . si vous voulez me rejoindre 514-577-7329 mon nom est Benjamin .

Bonne journée Merci

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the car did it again twice this weekend. Cranked for about 8 seconds before starting. The other time it cranked about 2-3 seconds before starting. The first time it happened this weekend I was sure it wasn't gonna start. 8 seconds is a long time for a car to crank over!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Since it's a recurring problem, it may be time to bring it in to the dealership and have them look into it. Could be bad wiring or something with the ECU?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So brought the car to the dealer 2 weeks ago and the car had done it twice again during the week but no code in the ECU. A snap shot was sent to Toyota Canada for investigation but they couldn't find anything. So they ordered a new fuel sending unit and I've gotta go back to the dealer to get it changed. UNfortunately they have no clue what it is...I'll keep you guys posted. I suspect there is a leak in the fuel line and it gets unprimed from time to time...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Salut je travail chez Toyota Valleyfield et j ai le meme probleme avec mon Ch-r on est justement entrain de faire des recherches . je vous tient au courant des développement . si vous voulez me rejoindre 514-577-7329 mon nom est Benjamin .

Bonne journée Merci
Salut Benjamin, comment as-tu reglé ton problème? as-tu changé la pompe a essence?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts