Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello . I’m here wondering how engine brake works on my 2018 Toyota chr . It’s so hard for me to understand the owners manual . I’d like to know step by step . I take a lot of curves and steep hills for work . My transmission was just replaced a month ago or so do to humming noise coming from front end . Just payed out of pocket $1,086 for diagnosis , gas cleaner , rotor cleaning , and balancing . My rotors were worn out due to too much overheating and braking . Please someone help!!! Thank you

·
Registered
150 Posts
With the CVT - I don't think there is any engine braking at all. On KY 313 here there is some small hills and the C-HR seems to go faster downhill than my RAV4, which actually starts slowing down. Yes, my foot is off the gas.

Seems that I may need to try the "manual" control of the transmission. Perhaps a little review of TFM when I get the time... CVT transmissions should not have a problem with manually downshifting. Some other forums have interesting information about "enging braking" with a CVT.

What was actually replaced to cost $1086?
I replaced rotors and pads (front end) for less than $200
And that was doing it the "Toyota" way - RAV4 World.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Use your brakes, slowing is what they're designed to do. They do a much better job of slowing you in a controlled smooth way than your engine ever could. Brakes are also much cheaper to service and replace than the engine and transmission. My guess is you need more practice being smoother on the brakes. I've taken my CHR up and down several mountains and never had an issue with brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts