Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been taking my car to the car wash every week without issue. I always go to the same car wash. It's one of those washes that pushes your car through using rollers against the back tires. However today, for some reason my electronic brake engaged and kept engaging every time I tried to disengage it. Trouble is it engages when it's being "pushed" by the car wash and you have to apply the brake in order to disengage the electronic parking brake. Not sure why it kept engaging. Finally I got it turn off and stay off and it finally make its way through the car wash Is this a safety feature that turns on automatically? As I mentioned, I've taken my car to this same car wash many times and never had an issue until today.

· Registered
213 Posts
Are you certain the car was put in neutral? I don't think the parking brake should engage in neutral.

· Super Moderator
2021 Toyota C-HR XLE in Blizzrd Pearl
96 Posts
sounds like the car triggering the safety sense system. if the car senses something in front of the car, say one of the brushes from the car wash, it will trigger an automatic braking procedure.

try finding a brushless carwash (which is better for your paint anyway as nothing scrapes along your car while getting it washed like dirty brushes)...

· Registered
396 Posts
+1 on the brushless carwash

But that still doesnt solve Wayne's issue. I'm guessing something in that apb button circuit is shorting? Putting it in neutral should have overwritten that thing :(

Reactions: gueradetj89

· Super Moderator
2021 Toyota C-HR XLE in Blizzrd Pearl
96 Posts
+1 on the brushless carwash

But that still doesnt solve Wayne's issue. I'm guessing something in that apb button circuit is shorting? Putting it in neutral should have overwritten that thing :(
wonder if it has happened since then

the APB is triggering when it is moving... maybe something with the antilock brake sensor and the parking brake is going haywire, but without checking out the car, hard to tell...and he hasn't said that it has either happened again, or not, or if he had the dealer or a qualified mechanic check it out

we may NEVER know, lol.

he could check it out just sitting there in neutral on a flat road, have someone push the car and see it the APB engages

· Registered
6 Posts
First of all, I connected via Techstreem. There were no errors on the system. Parking brake on/off, Parking, Drive, brake pedal, IGN statuses tracked
It's not a malfunction at all, it's just a simple function setting (on/off).
To activate the "EPB Shift Interlock Function" you must:
Stop the vehicle.
The ignition is on.
Lift up and hold the parking brake switch until the multi-information display shows "EPB Shift Interlock
Function Activated."
It should help if I understand the problem correctly and there are no diagnostic errors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts