Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a tailgate kit and installed it. It actually works well. There is a new front dash switch, a tailgate close switch and it can be opened from the original remote. Gate height can be adjusted also. No more banging into the overhead garage door.

Attached 3 photos: dash switch, close switch on the door, new right strut with cable

Wife loves it. No more complaints about the heavy tailgate.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course from China. RMB 1800. You have to add shipping and customs.
I did not pay shipping since I picked this up and brought it back from overseas trip.

You have to be a handyman to DIY. It took me awhile to decipher the badly written English installation instructions.

·
Super Moderator
321 Posts
It's probably the same kit as the one installed by Rajeev:

He has a bunch of videos on custom things he has done with his C-HR on his Youtube channel. The guy is pretty amazing. I think He's posted here before but I know he's more active on the UK C-HR forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may not be the same kit. I checked with the manufacturer that Rajeev bought from. They wanted RMB 2400.

This may not matter. Rajeev's C-HR has steering on the right side (British / Indian). My C-HR purchased in Canada has steering on the left (central control is European standard on the left driver side mid pillar). In the video, Rajeev fouled up the cable routing and had to extend and run the yellow wire back to the central control. In my kit, the harness connectors mated with the car connectors OK. Rajeev's video did not say anything about that. I did learn a couple of things from Rajeev's video.

·
Super Moderator
321 Posts
A link to the actual kit you purchased would be helpful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would love to have this for my 2019 C-HR. Thank you everyone for the information on where to purchase the kit. Could anyone tell me what type of automotive business to look for to do the installation? I think it would be beyond my skill set to do it myself.

·
Super Moderator
321 Posts
Skyleung,

From your posts, it seems the kit you purchased is straight plug and play with no splicing of any factory wires. Is this correct? Also did you have to do any drilling? I seem to recall from Rajeev's install video he had to do some drilling. I can't remember which part whether it was the new pull handle with the close button or if it was the foot sensor or both.

·
Super Moderator
321 Posts
I would love to have this for my 2019 C-HR. Thank you everyone for the information on where to purchase the kit. Could anyone tell me what type of automotive business to look for to do the installation? I think it would be beyond my skill set to do it myself.
I'm sure any competent repair shop can install it for you. Also, I would check into car stereo installer shops.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eh, Oakland is way way too far from Toronto.
At least we have something in common: in the big basketball game tonight.

I am willing to help you in sharing my experience on installing the tailgate. I have rewritten the instructions in good English and drew up a wiring diagram.

If you know how to solder, crimp connectors, you could attempt to DIY. Otherwise find a shop that does car audio system installations. It should take 4 hours max.

I am including here the English instructions that came with the kit. Half of which you don't know what they are talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
zx10guy:

Well the HotTop kit is almost plug and play. One splice is required to the central control. Another one for the light of the new dash switch but this would be optional. 3 Connections in the tailgate to existing connectors and the connectors fit. It is required to drill two holes on the body (one each, L n R) to pass the struts cables n connectors into the tailgate. It turned out the strut connectors cannot pass through to the new hole I ended up cutting the harness, fed the cable through and re spliced the connectors on. This is what Rajeev did too.

There is no foot sensor in my kit. The factory remote can open the door.

Please see the factory instructions that I sent to Westiegrrl.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well good news! I just picked up the kit from AutoEase at DHL today. I did find a local vendor who can install it. It is scheduled for installation this coming Saturday. I am so excited. It is really uncomfortable reaching to close the tailgate when parked on our driveway which slopes downward. I will be so happy if this kit works as advertised.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Westiegrrl:

Good for you. AutoEase is a different manufacturer from HotTop. On the web it was more expensive than HotTop. How much did you pay? Shipping included? Any customs / tariff charge?

Please let us know how it works.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lift kit installed!

Westiegrrl:

Good for you. AutoEase is a different manufacturer from HotTop. On the web it was more expensive than HotTop. How much did you pay? Shipping included? Any customs / tariff charge?

Please let us know how it works.
$516 which included an extended warranty for replacement parts and shipping. The installation was $600. Pricey, but the only shop I could find locally that was willing to give it a go. Had it installed today. Works like a charm. I love it. The shop is C3S in Fremont, CA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Westiegrrl:

Congratulations. Did the installer do a good job? Do you know how long it took him?

My kit did not have a foot switch. Did yours have one?

The car remote can open the tailgate with 3 presses of the open button.

Skyleung

1 - 20 of 29 Posts