Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Just got my 2020 C-HR 1.8 Hybrid a week ago.

I was trying to hardwire the Thinkware U1000 2CH dash cam and the iVolt battery pack to the fuse box under the glove box but it didn't work. Tried several fuses there but still not working. After days of troubleshooting and I figured out I have to use the fuse box in the engine compartment. (FYI: I use another HWC to connect the dash cam directly to the cabin fuse box - still not working. But when I hardwire it to the engine compartment fuse box it works! And same when I connect the battery pack + dash cam to the engine compartment fuse box)

Then another problem arises: How can I put the cable through the firewall? I can't see any spare holes or grommets for me to use (and I probably don't wanna disturb the original grommets with bunch of cables in it). Tried to look into the space behind the cabin filter but still can't get access to the engine compartment.

Can sb advise a solution to this? Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey Bernard!
Not sure if this will help as I haven't checked my engine bay for the said grommet. Hopefully it will help.
Take a look at jadehawks recommendations here that he utilized to install his subwoofer:

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
324 Posts
I don't understand why you're not able to use the fuse block in the interior cabin. You don't typically wire any accessory to the fuse block in the engine compartment. What's not working? How are you testing? How are you wiring in the accessory? I used to do the budget DIY method of just jamming the wire into the female connector in the fuse circuit with the fuse. I now use a piggy back fuse tap which provides a much cleaner more professional connection.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good thought zx10guy, I just assumed that he wanted constant power to the battery pack for charging (I'm not familiar with that particular device however). If that's the case, I was never able to find a circuit in the interior fuse block that was live when the ignition was killed. Am I wrong? I'd like to hook up my dash cam that way if it wouldn't kill the battery overnite...

·
Super Moderator
324 Posts
I have to probe the fuses in the interior fuse block. Normally I would go after the P/OUTLET NO 1 fuse as this is for the accessory power outlet under the arm rest. But I'm certain this won't work now as when you fully turn the car off, there is no longer any power to the outlet.

There is a fuse for the Hazard lights. And those function without the car in accessory mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Bernard!
Not sure if this will help as I haven't checked my engine bay for the said grommet. Hopefully it will help.
Take a look at jadehawks recommendations here that he utilized to install his subwoofer:

Good luck!
Thanks bro! Sadly I dont see any similar grommet in my car...:'(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks zx10guy too! This is my story:

I tried the interior fuses too, nearly every ACC fuses (including the P/OUTLET NO 1) except those for ECU and airbags. I first tried connecting the fuses->battery pack->dashcam but nothing turned on no matter ignition is on or not. Battery pack should be charging with the charging lights on if electricity is flowing through. I tried probing with multimeter and all the connections (fuses, DC in and out of battery pack, DC in of dash cam) and they all got 12V flowing.

Then I suspected if the battery pack is faulty so I bought another hardwiring cable to rule out that.

I then tried connecting the dash cam directly to the interior fuse box using the HWC cable but it still won't turn on.

Then I tried the engine compartment fuses and tada! it works! both connecting directly to dash cam and though battery pack. The battery pack showed charging status too.
So I'm suspecting it's the problem of my dash cam/battery pack, requiring much power i guess? the voltage is there but the ampere is not enough to drive them using the interior fuse box. Or maybe something changed in the new 2020 Hybrid? I dont really know...

So I now need to use the engine compartment fuse but the problem is im not able to figure out a pathway for the cable to pass through the firewall into the cabin...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks zx10guy too! This is my story:

I tried the interior fuses too, nearly every ACC fuses (including the P/OUTLET NO 1) except those for ECU and airbags. I first tried connecting the fuses->battery pack->dashcam but nothing turned on no matter ignition is on or not. Battery pack should be charging with the charging lights on if electricity is flowing through. I tried probing with multimeter and all the connections (fuses, DC in and out of battery pack, DC in of dash cam) and they all got 12V flowing.

Then I suspected if the battery pack is faulty so I bought another hardwiring cable to rule out that.

I then tried connecting the dash cam directly to the interior fuse box using the HWC cable but it still won't turn on.

Then I tried the engine compartment fuses and tada! it works! both connecting directly to dash cam and though battery pack. The battery pack showed charging status too.
So I'm suspecting it's the problem of my dash cam/battery pack, requiring much power i guess? the voltage is there but the ampere is not enough to drive them using the interior fuse box. Or maybe something changed in the new 2020 Hybrid? I dont really know...

So I now need to use the engine compartment fuse but the problem is im not able to figure out a pathway for the cable to pass through the firewall into the cabin...
i had a similar situation

1 - 8 of 8 Posts