Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right kids, yet another emotional purchase I don't need. Wait until my GF finds out. But I do want it, and I make good money, so that's all the rationalization I need:

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Sleeve

However, I'm a relatively cheap ******* and I'm not paying some dude that can pull an engine about as classy as he pulls out a bugger from his nose to strap some plastic on the back of my car for $500.

Now, before you school me about how they might not be compatible with the 2022 models, relax, it appears to be the same exact Halogen design as previous models, at least the rear. I guess I'll be this group's guinea pig into the foibles of 2022 C-HR.

That being said, if any of you most righteous out there have any tips besides seek professional mental help into the install process, please feel absolutely free to chime in. I won't be mad at all.

I've seen all the YouTube videos on this subject matter that can be had, most of them stemming from somewhere in Asia. As an actual camera man, I take great offense to the shoddy camera work in just about every one of them, it's the principle damn it. Besides I only read and understand English.

Be a fellow C-HR pal and help a fellow emotional buyer out. I mean gosh, I have to sleep on the couch for a week for this.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have these on my 22 nightshade also and they are sweet , I just looked up the video your taking about . It’s a pretty simple install and straight forward. You do need to remove the center piece above the plate and the interior trunk lid panel to remove the plastic pops.
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have these on my 22 nightshade also and they are sweet , I just looked up the video your taking about . It’s a pretty simple install and straight forward. You do need to remove the center piece above the plate and the interior trunk lid panel to remove the plastic pops. View attachment 6519
Gosh, these look so much better than OEM. The smoked version is going to compliment my gray blacked out nighshade so well.

I will say its easier to see the contours of the c-hr in white.

I really appreciate it my dude.

Since you have a 22 nightshade NA version I have a few more questions of you don't mind?

Do these lights/mods void your brand new Toyota warranty? EDIT: Addressed this one in proceeding reply.

Did you have to do anything differently than you saw in whichever video you referenced? I can't find anyone working on an actual 22 model. From what I can tell the 22 rear seems to be unchanged since previous years.

I did see one reviewer on Amazon with a 22 mention these lights didn't fully install correctly in terms of wiring, but it was vague.

I'm assuming these are legal in your state? When you stop do the brake lights sequentially flash or light up in unison?

I'm afraid if it's the former they will be a cop magnet. Flashing red light? Yeah. My state is pretty locked down when it comes to most aftermarket exterior lighting. Can't even have under glow, even if it's not lit up red or blue, unless the vehicle is parked at my own home. What the hell fun is that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Gosh, these look so much better than OEM. The smoked version is going to compliment my gray blacked out nighshade so well.

Since you have a 22 nightshade NA version I have a few more questions of you don't mind?

Do these lights/mods void your brand new Toyota warranty?

Did you have to do anything differently than you saw in whichever video you referenced? I can't find anyone working on an actual 22 model. From what I can tell the 22 rear seems to be unchanged since previous years.

I did see one reviewer on Amazon with a 22 mention these lights didn't fully install correctly in terms of wiring, but it was vague.

I'm assuming these are legal in your state? When you stop do the brake lights sequentially flash or light up in unison?

I'm afraid if it's the former they will be a cop magnet. My state is pretty locked down when it comes to most aftermarket exterior lighting. Can't even have under glow, even if it's not lit up red or blue, unless the vehicle is parked at my own home. What the hell fun is that?
Okay, I just found out it won't void the warranty as long as the issue isn't stemming from the aftermarket lights themselves, which would be straight forward and obvious. HOWEVER, take note, if the AM lights caused broader electrical issues throughout the vehicle that will absolutely 100% void the warranty for all aspects of the vehicle that were damaged because of them. Something to be aware of if you're not already.

In North America there is a federal law which protects all the lower 48 called Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which prohibits the manufacturer from forcing their customers to only use OEM parts. There are exceptions, however. Modifications that affect the powertrain/motor, like a performance chip or AM intake system will in fact completely void your warranty, as these types of mods change the way the vehicle was designed to operate by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Do these lights/mods void your brand new Toyota warranty? EDIT: Addressed this one in proceeding reply.

I'm afraid if it's the former they will be a cop magnet. Flashing red light? Yeah. My state is pretty locked down when it comes to most aftermarket exterior lighting. Can't even have under glow, even if it's not lit up red or blue, unless the vehicle is parked at my own home. What the hell fun is that?
The only sequential are is the start up of the running light and the turn signal . Which is legal in all states . The brake light is a solid pattern of led pods. The wiring was pretty straightforward and you’ll be fine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only sequential are is the start up of the running light and the turn signal . Which is legal in all states . The brake light is a solid pattern of led pods. The wiring was pretty straightforward and you’ll be fine
Yep! I installed them already, and you are 100% correct! (Working on getting better photos)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window

The wiring was pretty straightforward and you’ll be fine
I think this depends largely on your experience level. For someone inclined it's pretty straightforward, or at least not too hard to figure out. But I can see it could get easily confusing for someone with little to no experience. Then, throw in the install/wiring of bottom side reflector/LEDs and it can get a lot more interesting.

Objectively, the videos on YT I would rate as somewhat useful in helping figure some of it out. The easiest/quickest part of the install was removing panels. The cable routing of the hatch portions to the outer portions took me a hot second. The included "instructions" were very much lacking.

Unfortunately, my quick strips weren't providing reliable wire contact, so I had to commit the cardinal sin of actually cutting the OEM wire and creating terminals for connection. Something to note for people who are thinking about the bottom LED reflectors mod, they ARE NOT plug & play. If you don't understand wiring don't do them yourself. You could end up costing yourself pretty penny to have resolved.

The job is done, lights are working, and they really enhance the sporty look of this car imho. I feel like this style should be stock in 2022.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota C-HR XLE in Blizzrd Pearl
90 Posts
just curious if those of you that have done this mod had considered making a better video of the install if YT videos and instructions are lacking to help those that are still looking to do this mod....(this goes for the rear lower lights and the center light mod, and the front lower light mods)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts