Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a happy new owner of a 2019 C-HR Limited. But there's one thing I am not happy about - the difficulty in placing a smartphone mount.

In my previous car, a 2014 Corolla LE, I had used first a CD-slot mount until my car's radio died and I replaced it with a Kenwood with a hidden CD slot. Then, I went a top-of-dash mount that used an adhesive. The dash is a solid plastic so I wasn't worried about damage to the material.

But the C-HR's interior creates some issues.

- No CD, so no slot for that kind of mount.

- The AC vents are recessed, and too few of them, so I don't really want to use a vent-based and block the cool air. (I live in Houston, so AC is really important!)

- The top of the dash on the Limited trim is padded and softer than on the Corolla. I'd worry that eventually removing a dash-mount with adhesive would tear or discolor this material. I've experimented with windshield placement, but the glass slopes so much that anywhere I put it is view-obstructive.

- A cup holder mount would work, but that causes me to look down at the phone and is really not safe.

Yes, I have an iPhone and use CarPlay, and a lot of what I need is available on the infotainment screen as a result. But there are times when you also need to see the phone's screen (such as turn-by-turn directions on maps, which appear on the phone when the map is onscreen with CarPlay).

Any suggestions? Has anyone else solved this problem>

·
Registered
131 Posts
You at least have the car play. We with 2018 sucky radio have nothing but the phones.

Back to the topic, i tried mounts on the vens but they fall off or block heat/ac entirely. So getting a vent mount is out of question. I am thinking about getting a wireless charging mount that would stick on plastic next to the radio. Since the radio is small and technically useless in my opinion I can mount the phone up there. That way I can easily look at it when needs be without getting distracted

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I do understand those of you all with 2018 models have the worst head units of us all. But at least you all have options which we 2019 owners appear to not have. At least you can replace your head unit with an aftermarket one which will give you Car Play and Android Auto. Metra has a kit to facilitate the conversion.

I'm in the situation where Car Play does nothing for me as I have an Android phone. If I have options to replace my head unit, I would have done it already.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Yes. I'm considering getting it after all the extensive research I've done on phone mounts. And yes, it's just the mounting plate. They do sell a separate smart phone holder if you want to get one from them. Otherwise, there are a few pilot holes in the mounting plate to facilitate other mounts.

From what I've read, don't use any of the cup holder mounts for our cars as the cup holders are not perfectly round. This causes issues on stability and stress on the actual phone mount. One person tried twice to use a Belkin cup holder mount and both times the mount broke within a short period of time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What about any of these universal magnetic mounts that just affix to the dash? I suppose the issue with the C-HR is trying to find a spot on this dash layout where its accessible and visible while you are driving. Apple Car Play and Android Auto can't come soon enough.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I put the magnet mount and taped it to the seatbelt/clock area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
551 Posts
Once more advanced systems like Google glass improves along with broader HUD systems, ones we'll be able to buy as aftermarket as well, I think it should do well at delegating most phone functions to be completely hands free. It could happen before 2025 rolls around, come that time we'll be looking back laughing at these caveman methods :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Saw someone from this forum did this, and it worked great.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found a 3D printable file on thingverse ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3318436 ) but the opening for the phone is to the left of the head unit, and the cradle isnt wide enough for my phone. if someone is crafty with modifying 3D printing files, they may be able to create a solution that puts the phone to the right of the head unit, and maybe features an opening for a magnetic mount instead of the cradle option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally figure out how to hook up my big Samsung 10s phone. Amazon magnetic- suction device

1 - 20 of 24 Posts