Toyota C-HR Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The battery in my 2018 Toyota CH-R failed during inspection in 2/2020. Went through Toyota diagnostics and battery was replaced as it was still under warranty but could not find reason why it failed. Battery failed inspection again 8/2020. Again going through Toyota's diagnostic to find out if something is unexpectedly draining battery.
My wife has a CH-R and has the same problem. I did some research and came up with a possible reason for the issue. Lead-Acid batteries, if not run through the correct charge/discharge cycle and thus only attain a partial charge, will suffer from what is called acid stratification. This manifests itself with an acceptable terminal voltage upon testing, but a reduced cranking capacity. This typically happens when using the vehicle for short commutes and using all the electronic gadgets that the vehicle is loaded up with. An equalizing charge can fix this, ( a higher than normal charge voltage for 1 or 2 hours). This of course is still a pain in the neck to do. Best solution - if this actually is the cause - is to install an AGM battery instead of flooded acid. aGM’s do not suffer from acid stratification. More expensive, but less headache. I’m going to try to find an AGM that will fit her car and we’ll see. Probably won’t know the result for a couple of years and she changes her cars frequently, so maybe I’ll never know the answer!

Peter J

21 - 22 of 22 Posts