Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery in my 2018 Toyota CH-R failed during inspection in 2/2020. Went through Toyota diagnostics and battery was replaced as it was still under warranty but could not find reason why it failed. Battery failed inspection again 8/2020. Again going through Toyota's diagnostic to find out if something is unexpectedly draining battery.

·
Super Moderator
324 Posts
How long are you letting the car sit? I assume when you say it went through Toyota diagnostics that a full electrical system check out was performed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The battery in my 2018 Toyota CH-R failed during inspection in 2/2020. Went through Toyota diagnostics and battery was replaced as it was still under warranty but could not find reason why it failed. Battery failed inspection again 8/2020. Again going through Toyota's diagnostic to find out if something is unexpectedly draining battery.
I have a similar problem. The first time the battery failed the car had sat in a car park for a week whilst on a holiday and battery was flat on return, just enough power to unlock the door. Car started instantly from a power pack. During lockdown if the car is left for more than 3 days it has a flat battery i.e.9.1 volts. It would take a charge and show 13 volts. However, after 3 days it would be flat. I have not been to the garage with it due to lock down. I purchased a mini power pack which has not failed to start the car.
i'd appreciate any comments on what the problem is. I do not think it is a battery problem. More like a drain from one of the facilities that sit in the background.

·
Super Moderator
324 Posts
This is correct. That's why I asked how long the car has sat without being started. As these cars get more and more complicated with electronics, the more power they will draw when "shut off". My BMW is a classic example of this. It's a 2013 and will drain a battery down in a week or so. If I know the car will sit for a while, I will put it on a trickle charger. The other way to avoid this if you don't have the ability to run a trickle charger is to disconnect the battery by removing the negative battery cable. When you're ready to start the car back up again, you can just reconnect the negative battery cable. Repeated and prolonged deep draining of lead acid batteries are not good. It will shorten the life of the battery dramatically.

·
Registered
352 Posts
This happened to me as well, but I chalked it up to a few things:
  • Who knows how long that battery has been sitting before I bought it
  • I have a dashcam with cutoff voltage at 12.5, which should be SAFE, but it's still a draw nevertheless
  • Left it on a trip to Scandinavians for 1.5 weeks at a friend's apartment complex and it won't start afterwards.
But hey at least it's under warranty and so I know the current battery is good and I haven't drained it either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts