Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new 2019 C-HR XLE a few months ago in September. The fuel economy is supposed to be 29 MPG combined city/hwy, but I'm only getting around 18 MPG with Eco mode turned on. The car only has 1,336 miles on it as of this post, and the salesman says I'll start seeing better mileage when I get to 10,000 miles because the car is still "learning". Is this normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Welcome.

Check out my signature, I generally get above 20 --- the worst was all local playing pokemon with AC on just idling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. I'm guessing I have a lemon. My fuel economy is 17 MPG since I last posted.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Are you located in the US? Maybe the fuel blend? I think winter blend is worse...?

·
Super Moderator
329 Posts
The fuel economy of my car did get better after a couple thousand miles. But in no way was it as bad as what you're reporting. There's no way to tell if there is something drastically wrong though as it depends on your driving conditions and how heavy footed you are with your right foot. I have said for a long time the engine Toyota chose to put in these cars is woefully under powered for the size/weight of the car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I mainly drive in rush hour traffic with 1 hour commute to work each side. With the winters on i get about 8km/100km or roughly 460km per tank, in which sports mode is involved as well because whenever there is an open space i need to keep up with the traffic

With the all season tires i get about 500 to 520km/tank or roughly 10km/100km that if i do not have the cross bars and roof basket on

And i have a really heavy foot and i mainly drive in rush hour so i guess thats just as bad as driving in city

·
Registered
352 Posts
Next time you have a roadtrip, fill it up and do a cruise control on 65-70 for a whole tank worth. Let's see what that milage would be...

Assuming you won't die of boredom being so slow!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One month update, my car now has 16.9 mpg.

To answer some questions from earlier, I’m in San Francisco, CA. There aren’t really any seasons here, no snow, same weather all year long, etc. I set the car in eco mode to try to get better fuel economy and mainly drive on local streets, sometimes I go on the freeway.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
One month update, my car now has 16.9 mpg.

To answer some questions from earlier, I’m in San Francisco, CA. There aren’t really any seasons here, no snow, same weather all year long, etc. I set the car in eco mode to try to get better fuel economy and mainly drive on local streets, sometimes I go on the freeway.
That is disgustingly low MPG, especially since you're only like 2.5 hours from me!

Have you tried to do the calculation based off milage and a full tank of gas? I wouldn't trust the display THAT much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts