Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For me, the C-HR leaves much to be desired in the audio department, so I'm making this thread to share my journey in upgrading the audio system. I'll do my best to provide as much information, share photos, post links of parts and how to's so that if you need some help and inspiration, this thread will serve as at least a good start. Also keep in mind that my C-HR is USDM. That might not matter too much, but I figure it should be disclosed.

First I'll start off with my intentions. I'm keeping the stock head unit because there really isn't much of an option lol. I'll be adding 2 amps; one 4-channel and one monoblock, replacing all speakers and of course adding a sub. Now I'm not a huge bass head so my system will be relatively subtle.

I haven't fully decided on the 4-channel or speakers just yet, but I am pretty set on the monoblock and sub. In an effort to retain the limited hatch space AND keep the spare tire, I've decided on JBL's Stadium Basshub paired with their Club A600. JBL Stadium BassHub Package Now I have no idea if this will even fit, but crutchfield has a pretty awesome return policy. Unless of course someone has experience already with this. I have toyed with other ideas to make a custom box that will still allow the spare tire and tools, but the JBL is sufficient enough...I hope.

To neatly tie into OEM head unit, I will be using this harness by PAC. PAC LPHTY02 LocPro Advanced T-Harness I will have to make a small modification to it for my setup which I'll explain later and provide a diagram.

I've already removed some of dash panels to get to removing the head unit. I'll post some photos later, but really the video I'll provide does a fair job of showing what to remove. It is very involved compared to other cars I've upgraded, but not overly difficult. Use trim removal tools like these Amazon.com : car trim removal tool kit and here's a YouTube video that helped me with removing the panels (235) Removing Head Unit of Toyota C HR - YouTube . If you're patient and gentle, nothing should break.

My biggest hurdle right now (as it usually is) is finding where on the firewall I can feed my power cable. 1/0 AWG. I've read the best place is on the passenger side and I wish I could cite the material, but I can't seem to find it now. Regardless, I'll try there and keep you posted. If anyone has a spot, please let me know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Font Parallel

So a few things to point out. The 4-channel amplifier will either go under the passenger seat or if discretely possible, under the passenger dash. The green 9 conductor wire is feeding speaker level and remote from the head unit (technically the harness I linked) to the 4 channel amp. The yellow 9 conductor is heading back to connector that feeds the OEM speaker wire (no sense in running new speaker lines if they're already there). The 4-channel will then feed the mono block from its Line Out and the Remote. I might be able to run the RCA/Remote discretely up the middle to save on copper, but really...not a big deal to me if that doesn't work. Obviously I'll be fused at the battery. Too lazy to add that in the diagram. Likely going to add ferrite cores to the 9 conductor wires and RCA cables (overkill?). Lastly the power line running through the passenger side firewall is still speculative. If that changes then so will 4 channel amp placement.

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ran my power wire through one of the firewall grommets. Just left of the brake fluid. I made a small cut just large enough to be able to fit 0 gauge OFC wire.
Note: I also performed the big 3 and added an additional battery in the trunk. Used a combination of knukonceptz wiring and XS Battery set up (via Down4Sound).
I went with the Audio Control Lc7i and placed it underneath the front passenger seat. I used a combination of 14 g OFC speaker wire and 9 conductor wire.
Note: All 6 speakers have been replaced. Front - *JBL GTO 609c (components)*I kept the tweeters and crossovers, but upgraded all my door speakers to DOWN4SOUND PRO AUDIO 6.5" D4S-60 | 180W RMS speakers.
The rest of they system consist of -
Hifonics Brutus BXX800.4 (4 x 100w RMS @ 4 ohm)
Hifonics Brutus BRX2016.1D (1 x 2000w RMS @ 1 ohm)
2 - 12" Soundqubed HDS3.1 Subwoofers (1200w RMS ea.)
2nd Battery - XS Power XP750CK
2 - Stinger 12v Fans

PS. Still have my spare tire, but besides that my trunk is non-existent. LoL. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts