Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my car 9 months ago up until about three weeks ago. When leaving the car I could barely touch the two stripes on the door handle and it would lock. Same with the pad on the inside of the door handle. Now it seems like it just wants to work when it decides to. Took it to dealership and they said I need to step further away from vehicle and come back. But that’s not how or what this was meant for. It’s meant for when you get out of the car you touch the two lines and it locks the car and mirrors turn in. Has anyone else had these problems???

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't consider what mine does as a problem as much as a quirk.
If I have my RKE remote in my pocket when I was my car, while rinsing the car off and letting water run over the front door handles (yes, either side) the car will lock and fold the mirrors. Then on the next rinse, it'll unlock and unfold the mirrors!
I love it! It's just another oddity of this car and that's why I bought it ---- it's weird!

·
Super Moderator
310 Posts
This is an issue with the RFID reception of your key fob in determining your proximity. My BMW has the same feature called Comfort Access. There are times when I approach my BMW at certain angles or at certain locations of my car the comfort access doesn't work. Frankly, I really don't use it all that much since owning the car new back in 2014. And I prefer not to have the feature. The reason being as there has been a known security flaw with this setup where thieves have been able to hack into the communication between the fob and the car to duplicate the credentials. Then they can just get into your car as if they had your actual fob/key. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Toyota's implementation gets hacked too. Just one of the reasons why I opted for the LE version of this car.

As to the water thing, that happens all the time when I wash my BMW with fob in my pocket. The water just closes a circuit simulating your finger doing the same.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I believe Toyota's implementation has already been hacked in the Lexus brand where thieves hacked into the system and drove away the lexus

·
Registered
350 Posts
It doesn't always work. and the remote range is so disappointing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Poor remote rwnge.. I paid to have remote start put on my chr so I could run it in the mornings to warm it up in the winter with the doors locked. When I first started using it I had to actually walk nearly to the car to get the remote to work. I found a hack in youtube.. If I hold the remote under my chin I can start my car from inside my storm door which is a good distance away. . I know this sounds crazy and I'm not sure exactly how it works but it does. Try it or check it out on YouTube.. Lol

·
Super Moderator
310 Posts
I believe Toyota's implementation has already been hacked in the Lexus brand where thieves hacked into the system and drove away the lexus
Well there you go.

Poor remote rwnge.. I paid to have remote start put on my chr so I could run it in the mornings to warm it up in the winter with the doors locked. When I first started using it I had to actually walk nearly to the car to get the remote to work. I found a hack in youtube.. If I hold the remote under my chin I can start my car from inside my storm door which is a good distance away. . I know this sounds crazy and I'm not sure exactly how it works but it does. Try it or check it out on YouTube.. Lol
It works by using your body as a large antenna. In the old days when TV was only available over the air, holding the "rabbit ears" would provide better reception on weak TV channels. Some shows made fun of this situation such as one Married with Children Episode when they knew Fox was canceling the show. Al Bundy told his family to assume the Fox viewing position and each of them was holding an antenna to get better reception.

Typically, you're told to use this trick when the battery for your key fob starts to run down thereby decreasing its range. But as we're all discovering, Toyota didn't design this system correctly. I can hear some executive at Toyota doing a Steve Jobs...."You're holding it wrong."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts