Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone has change their stereo before to have Apple CarPlay or android. If so how hard or easy was it? I’ve been thinking about getting a pioneer stereo with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did it a few times with my previous cars (both Toyotas). Pretty easy, especially if you're following the guide. Why do you want to change your basic system though?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did it a few times with my previous cars (both Toyotas). Pretty easy, especially if you're following the guide. Why do you want to change your basic system though?
As he said, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks similar to that. The one I’m getting is the Pioneer AVH-4000Nex and it is on the expensive side. it cost $700 but lately my local Best Buy has been having it on sale time to time for $300-400 so if I can pick it up for that much it would be worth it

·
Registered
551 Posts
I always thought it would be cool to use a tablet for all this stuff and a quick google search turned up some DIY project people have done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m thinking of doing it. Checkout Crutchfield.com and put in the data for your car. They include instructions on how to change your radio out for free with the purchase of a radio.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Too bad long gone are the days when people installed carputer in their cars. These days its more of the regular infotainment system than anything else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just wanted to know if anyone has change their stereo before to have Apple CarPlay or android. If so how hard or easy was it? I’ve been thinking about getting a pioneer stereo with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
i did. It’s pretty easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just changed out mine for a Kenwood Excellon DDX795 from Crutchfield. Got it with their recommended steering wheel control kit.
The only issue I had was that the steering wheel adapter uses a mini usb connector which I did not have - had to run to WalMart to get a cheap one. Used that cable to update the firmware and pre-program it for Kenwood.

Don't have pics, but the radio works better than the original Pioneer that was in it.
Even the USB connector in the front works.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just changed out mine for a Kenwood Excellon DDX795 from Crutchfield. Got it with their recommended steering wheel control kit.
The only issue I had was that the steering wheel adapter uses a mini usb connector which I did not have - had to run to WalMart to get a cheap one. Used that cable to update the firmware and pre-program it for Kenwood.

Don't have pics, but the radio works better than the original Pioneer that was in it.
Even the USB connector in the front works.
Pictures please :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pictures of the DDX 795 installed

Sorry, could not take pictures while the WAZE app was running. WAZE only works while plugged into the USB port. Probably a good thing.

Placed the S/XM adapter in the front that way it won't scratch the roof.

Tray Opened for optical drive - If needed

Kenwood App

Equalizer display

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is the original bluetooth mic stills works or you had to installed the mic supplied with the radios ? and can you use the steering wheel to answer or make calls?. I been told that the steering wheel interfaces available for the CHR do not support this functions.

Bill

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not sure, but will try later.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is the original bluetooth mic stills works or you had to installed the mic supplied with the radios ? and can you use the steering wheel to answer or make calls?. I been told that the steering wheel interfaces available for the CHR do not support this functions.

Bill
I Installed my Kenwood Yesterday and the Steering Wheel Controller I used does support making and answering calls (tested before posting just in case) it also allows the use of the Voice command button. However you will need to install the provided bluetooth MIC that will come with your Radio. It will not use the MIC from factory.

Check link on my Signature.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts