Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So searching around, I found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CarPlay-Android-Auto-Intergration-Factory-Radios-2016-19-Toyota-CH-R-/143161002019?vxp=mtr&hash=item21550f8823

It appears the system will provide both Android Auto and Car Play for 2019 and prior year C-HRs. This will include the current Entune 3.0 head unit and the previous gen radio. But at $810 for the kit, I don't know what to think about it at the moment.

There's been a buzz over at the Toyota Nation Corolla sub forum where Toyota has just released AA on the 2020 model year. Now they're discussing if there will be a firmware update for the 2019 models. From outward appearances, I think the 2019 Corolla HB uses the same Entune 3.0 radio as the 2019 C-HRs. And from the pictures of the head unit on the 2020 model, it appears they're still using the same hardware. I wonder if Toyota is going to have AA as standard on the 2020 C-HR.

I'm going to take a wait and see approach. Ideally, I would want a factory firmware update; even if I have to pay for it which is going to be cheaper than $810.

But the above option is available for the 2018 owners who have the previous generation head unit; if you want to retain the factory head unit. But in all honesty, if I had the available dash space that you all with 2018 models have, I would just put in a proper double DIN head unit or go with a mirror link box to do screen mirroring.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So that would make it to roughly $1075 CDN + shipping + import charges. That's a lot of money and bad bad deal to be honest

And you're right, why would anyone want this when there are tons of aftermarket radio available with one third of this price.

Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
41 Posts
when we just bought our c-hr the salesman said there would be an android update available soon at no charge .like a software update . today while in the car i downloaded the etune app on my phone ,updated the stereo with a download ,hit install and my galaxy s7 edge appears to be working .

not sure whats all supposed to be on the screen but i had the weather app going ,the gas station price and location finder working ,iheart radio working ,dont recall what else was all up there but what i did try was working connected to my android phone .
done with the car for today so have to get back to you with the rest

·
Super Moderator
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when we just bought our c-hr the salesman said there would be an android update available soon at no charge .like a software update . today while in the car i downloaded the etune app on my phone ,updated the stereo with a download ,hit install and my galaxy s7 edge appears to be working .

not sure whats all supposed to be on the screen but i had the weather app going ,the gas station price and location finder working ,iheart radio working ,dont recall what else was all up there but what i did try was working connected to my android phone .
done with the car for today so have to get back to you with the rest
What you've done is what we as owners of the 2019 C-HRs have for Entune 3.0. You've downloaded the Entune app for Android which provides the head unit communications capability to your phone to access your cell provider's data network. The Entune App also allows the Scout GPS app in the head unit to be able to access your phone's GPS.

The above is not the same as Android Auto. Android Auto allows bidirectional communication to include touch screen interaction to happen with apps supported by Android Auto. One such app is Waze.

Reactions: meanmachine19

·
Super Moderator
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we do have a 2019
Yes. I know. When you mentioned installing the Entune app, told me immediately you have a 2019. The 2018 cars did not have the level of smart phone connectivity/multimedia that we do. That said, the Entune ecosystem is not the same as Android Auto nor as good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes. I know. When you mentioned installing the Entune app, told me immediately you have a 2019. The 2018 cars did not have the level of smart phone connectivity/multimedia that we do. That said, the Entune ecosystem is not the same as Android Auto nor as good.
understood ,the salesman did say there would be a downloadable update to the system to come to allow that.

·
Super Moderator
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
understood ,the salesman did say there would be a downloadable update to the system to come to allow that.
My salesman said the same thing. But when you talk to other sources, there was nothing guaranteed. I even talked to other salesman later at the same dealership where I purchased mine and I got conflicting answers.

Until we see something official from Toyota, it's all speculation and unfortunately, may be something the salesman used to close a sale. I didn't buy my C-HR because of the promise of Android Auto. But I'm finding the Scout GPS app to be a pain in the rear to use and not very good. I also rather not have my phone propped up on a holder to use Waze either. I got used to having Waze screen mirrored onto my iDrive screen in my BMW. It's hard to go back after having that convenience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts