Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi I think I have posted here a year ago about the same issue not bring cold. Being worried not covered by warranty turns out it was last year. Then again this month April 2022 the same issue came back and thank goodness it was still covered. Last time they said there was a leak and they fixed it (Toyota Sherwood park dealership) and top up the refrigerant. Now when I sent it for repair they said that they had to order a condenser to replace it and will have the parts in 5 days and I had to go back. Why is this having this issue this a new car. 2019. But I mean this should at least last long enough before I should be seeing a repair.

· Registered
396 Posts
Hi I think I have posted here a year ago about the same issue not bring cold. Being worried not covered by warranty turns out it was last year. Then again this month April 2022 the same issue came back and thank goodness it was still covered. Last time they said there was a leak and they fixed it (Toyota Sherwood park dealership) and top up the refrigerant. Now when I sent it for repair they said that they had to order a condenser to replace it and will have the parts in 5 days and I had to go back. Why is this having this issue this a new car. 2019. But I mean this should at least last long enough before I should be seeing a repair.
Sounds like a lame excuse from the dealer. Any other nearby dealer you can get a 2nd opinion on?

· Super Moderator
2021 Toyota C-HR XLE in Blizzrd Pearl
96 Posts
I know this is an old thread but....2019 while not an old car by any stretch of the imagination is not a NEW car. Sounds like the condenser was the cause of the problem all along and the dealer tried to give you a quick fix so they did not have to replace it under warranty. Sounds sketchy to me but in all fairness, car components fail, just the nature of the beast. It could have been faulty from the get-go, happens all the time with anything electrical.

I hope everything got fixed correctly and this won't be an issue going forward for you.

· Registered
6 Posts
The condenser fails regularly, including the refrigerant can leak out through the tubes. Because of temperature differences, the tubes expand and shrink. The air conditioner can often break down. It needs care and supervision.

· Premium Member
524 Posts
The condenser fails regularly, including the refrigerant can leak out through the tubes. Because of temperature differences, the tubes expand and shrink. The air conditioner can often break down. It needs care and supervision.
Condensers don't fail regularly. The tubes you speak of don't expand and shrink. They're rigid and made out of aluminum for heat transfer so the refrigerant in vapor form condenses back into a liquid. The only place of expansion is at the expansion valve/orifice tube that feeds into the evaporator coil under pressure from the compressor.

· Registered
6 Posts
I have had the starting capacitor fail several times. I have replaced it twice in the 5 years I have been using the car. I didn't write specifics, on the nuts in the connections between the pipe, that's where the leakage is most often.

· Premium Member
524 Posts
Specifics or not, your initial reply to this thread is incorrect. I wanted to make sure accurate information is put out there hence my reply.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the starting capacitor. If you're now referring to this being a failure in your A/C system, then you're changing your story.

I do agree with you that the connections and fittings in the A/C system are the most common areas of leakage. This is why you run your A/C system year round. You may lose a little bit in fuel economy due to the parasitic drag of the compressor, but the amount lost in fuel economy pales to the cost saved in replacing seals and a compressor. Running the A/C system year round ensures the seals and compressor stay lubricated with the oil that's carried around by the refrigerant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts