Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends C-HR ac stopped blowing cold dealerships said rock poked hole so it will be $2400...$400 for part $2000 for labor for 5 hour fix they didn't say what part but said they have to unbolt motor and move it. I don't know if that is right or the are trying to rip her off

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
The damaged part is called a condenser coil. It sits at the very front of the car in front of the radiator. It's function is to turn the A/C refrigerant in a gaseous state back into a liquid by venting off the heat contained in the refrigerant. Hence why it's called a condenser. $400 seems reasonable for the part. $2000 for labor for 5 hours is not. That's $400/hour in labor which is outrageous. I don't think Ferrari mechanics are charging that much. I think BMW labor rates are around $150 to 200 an hour.

I have to look at my car but there should be absolutely no reason to "unbolt" the motor. Replacing the condenser requires no motor work. They'll have to remove the front body work for access but that's it.

I don't see any mention of replacing the accumulator (receiver/dryer). If the shop is thorough, that should also be replaced as it contains a desiccant which removes moistures from the refrigerant. With a hole in the condenser, I'd be worried about that accumulator being overly saturated with ambient moisture. It's cheap insurance to prevent future problems.

Reactions: RoLleRKoaSTeR

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good thing I have gutter mesh installed to the back of the front bumper cover. Had to pick out a small rock out of the front a week ago. Must be from when I went to Kentucky's first Buck-ees in Richmond, KY.
Yikes -- $$$
Just to replace the condenser (mentioned above) should not involve unbolting the engine.
Toyota CH-R Service Manual - Removal - Condenser

·
Registered
384 Posts
My previous car, '95 camry, was basically $110 for the condenser and me/buddies replaced it ourselves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I suggest calling around to some independent shops that do HVAC work. The condenser is probably $150-200 and there is often a "dryer" in the system, about $75, that will have to be replaced whenever the system is opened to the atmosphere. In addition, you will have to replace all the refrigerant in the AC system and that can cost as much as $100/lb, depending on type of refrigerant. Your system will require about 2-3 lbs of refrigerant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had a honda civic that the same thing happened. Part was less than $100 and did it myself in under an hour. Haven't looked at my CHR's but can't imagine it being much worse.

Just looked, and doesn't look any harder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts