Toyota C-HR Forum banner

AC isnt blowing any cold air at all

27K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  zx10guy 
#1 ·
So my AC isnt blowing any cold air, so i went to the dealership and they told me a few more C-HR’s are having the same issue. Im from edmonton canada btw.. anybody else having this issue?

#4 ·
I had the same problem. Got my CHR at the end of winter and noticed just outside temperature blowing. I brought it into Toyota and they said the Freon needed refilling. They did it for free. They checked for leaks and didn't find any. They said perhaps it was never filled properly at factory.

#6 ·
Toyota should be picking up the tab for fixing the A/C. These cars are still very new and should still be under the factory warranty unless you're doing Cannonball runs multiple times in a year. Although, I overheard a conversation between a service writer and a customer that was picking up his Toyota pickup. I heard the guy was on target to hit 80,000 miles and his pickup is only a year old.

Anyways, the A/C system in my C-HR has been working great. Same performance to my past 06 Ford Focus ZX-3. A/C blows super cool. I have had to actually turn down the A/C. Not so with my BMW. Where I set the C-HR at 70, I have to set the BMW to 68 or 67 to get the same amount of cooling.

#7 ·
#8 ·
update: So they said something is wrong w/ the AC so they did order 2 parts, "AC PIPE and AC CONDENSER" and its been 2 months of wait now and still haven't heard from them. They told me most of the C-HR in my area are having the same issue.

Called my dealership regarding about the long wait and all they said was that the one that makes the part i guess from Toronto only release that one certain part every 2 weeks. I've been searching if there's anyone from the headquarters can speed up the process and still no luck.

And I found this site saying that few 2018 C-HR's are having the same issue:

https://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads/2018-toyota-c-hr-a-c-not-cooling-refrigerant-leak.1557/

will keep you guys posted on this journey "THE AC LESS 2018 C-HR" :|

#9 ·
Two months waiting on those parts is totally unacceptable. I don't know how things work in Canada. But check your owner's manual or warranty book and see if there is a listing for some Toyota regional office for you to contact in the event of issues with your car. At the very minimum, the dealer should be looking at putting you into a loaner car after all this time has passed.

#10 ·
Tbh id rather use my car than just leave it at the dealership. Thou i get ur point... i emailed the manager for parts and all he said that the deadline estimate will be tomorrow and he sent an inquiry to toyota canada regarding about the issue. Hopefully it would be fixed soon...

#11 ·
That's good.

But I'm of the stance that if something is not working on my car that the dealer is on the hook to fix, I would rather not be putting miles on the car with the problem still there. Now you have 2 less months on your warranty because of this parts delay and any mileage you've put on the car. I'd rather put the miles on someone else's car and maintaining the warranty. If you're kept waiting further, I would start demanding the warranty be extended by the time you've been kept waiting for parts for at least the A/C system.

Reactions: Striker
#16 ·
Here are my complains I bought 2020 C-HR XLE on last February 2020.
AC: In the morning at the vehicle first start I turn on the AC its take like 2 minutes to start cooling, the guy at the dealer say that it is normally on C HR cars, Im not happy with that.
AUTO LOCKS: Normally when you start your trip in a Toyota the automatic locks your doors after 20 miles of speed or so, The C HR isn't, at the dealership they said for safety reasons the CHRs doesn't do that.
RADIO: Radio APPs are too limited for android, needs to connects via USB to get maps on display (not via bluetooth) limited google apps, Alexa Toyota works sometimes.
This car is too expensive with too limitations.

#18 ·
I have a 2019 chr xle bought july of 2019 and actually last year summer 2020 if i can remember it happened that air conditioning is a bit off but i never bother bec we didnt travel much last year bec of the covid restrictions. Now its 2021 not even spring yet i can feel that aircon isnt working property. The dash says its 11degrees outside. The aircon is warmer than outside weather. I thinks its not normal for when i first got this car it was really cold . i scheduled a service today for tuesday march 23 2021, and service customer said that they will diagnose first to see if its covered with warranty.

Ill post the update next week. This car is too new 13764km to get issues and too expensive not to get warranty. Ive had enough with toyota sherwood park services from the last time they did to us.

Glad to have found this thread. Hope anyone having the same can reach out to me.

#19 ·
I also have a 2019 Toyota CHR , last year It took Toyota 2 months to replace the defective AC components it happened at the peak of Summer. AC is blowing warm air.

And yet again Spring of 2021 I just noticed that AC is not working again. Oh well...

Time to call toyota corporate.....tsk ..tsk tsk......

#24 · (Edited)
I am currently having this issue with my 2020 CH-R. My AC was leaking into the passenger side of my car. I took it into the dealership (USA), and was told that the drainage tube was clogged. Waited in the dealership for four hours, and was told it was fixed. I left the dealership and five minutes of driving it was leaking again. I took it right back, and waited another two hours for them to tell me that not only is the drainage tube faulty, but so is the plug (told it was deformed) that connects the tube to the AC. I have only had this car for over a year, and I can't drive it at all because it is in the middle of the summer, and I can't drive around not using my AC. It is currently sitting at the dealership for the unforeseeable future because all of the parts are on back order, and they have no idea when they will get it. They did put me in a loaner, but it insane that an almost brand new car (less than 10,000 miles) is unusable right now. I have read that this is a huge issue with the CH-R along with other issues. I am even considering trading my car once I get it back, because I can't have a car that is going to keep having issues.

#26 ·
Hey folks, I took mine in for an intermittent problem of A/C not blowing cold air for days at a time. The tech turned the temp dial all the way to "LO" and boom, cold air. She explained that it's a smart A/C system, but sometimes gets finicky when the air outside is in the 50's, car is warm because of sunlight, and it tries to find the right temp for the air to blow out. If that's not satisfactory, then just turn to LO until you are satisfied with the temp. Hope this helps.

#27 ·
To add something and to reinforce the poster's situation where there was a bad seal, you have to run the A/C systems on these cars on a regular basis. The act of flowing refrigerant through the system helps lubricate and maintain the seals. The refrigerant carries oil that serves this purpose along with keeping the compressor lubricated. I never turn off the A/C mode and run it this way year round...even during the cold winter months. Since doing this, I've never had a problem with any of the A/C systems in my cars.