Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a general question, has anybody had any issues with the standard 12v battery not recharging or being discharged quickly. I have just had to replace a 2nd battery on a 66 plate CHR Hybrid. The car had not been started for 4 weeks due to being out of the country and would not start on return, on checking the battery it only had 5.2 v charge left and did not seem to be able to recharge even when the vehicle was started I am just trying to find out if this is a common fault as i will be getting Toyota to find out what is happening to the battery when Co-Vid clears.

·
Super Moderator
298 Posts
I don't know the deep details on the hybrid version. But if it's the same as how modern BMWs operate, there will be some parasitic power loss. Even though I shut off the engine to my BMW, the car never really totally shuts down. It's not uncommon to have near dead batteries after having the car sit for a few weeks. This may be the case with your situation. This would require the use of a trickle charger or pulling the negative battery terminal if you can't get a trickle charger.

Also lead acid batteries do not like to be drained down. This is very bad for the battery. If you use an automated charger, it will not charge a lead acid battery below a certain voltage. I've run across this situation before and was able to charge a near dead battery with my battery charger by setting the charger to manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is just a general question, has anybody had any issues with the standard 12v battery not recharging or being discharged quickly. I have just had to replace a 2nd battery on a 66 plate CHR Hybrid. The car had not been started for 4 weeks due to being out of the country and would not start on return, on checking the battery it only had 5.2 v charge left and did not seem to be able to recharge even when the vehicle was started I am just trying to find out if this is a common fault as i will be getting Toyota to find out what is happening to the battery when Co-Vid clears.
Paul, I have had the same problem with my 67 plate C-HR. The dealer just recharged the battery at first, but it soon discharged: when chatting to the repair centre at Milton Keynes (MK) it was apparent that this is not an unknown problem, and we arranged for the car to go back for 'repair' - and then lockdown happened. Started the car a couple of times in the days after March 23, but when we had left it for five or six days it would no longer start. Now the key fob won't work, we had to dismount the key from the fob to get into the car, and a check of the battery showed 1.2V across the terminals! I have been in touch by email today with MK again, don't expect answer any time soon, but will let you know if and when I get one. Thinking about it, there obviously is a leak to earth somewhere, and Toyota - or at least the Steven Eagell place at MK - know of it and know how to fix it. My car is still under warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts