Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings - I just recently took delivery of a new C-HR in US (Florida). I am sorting through the various features and am finding a few things that are not obvious.

1) When I press the maps button, there's no map and it just tells me to go to the toyota website. Is a native map and direction an option?
2) When I turn the car off, the stereo turns off immediately. I am used to the stereo staying on until you open the door, can this be customized?
3) The brake 'hold' feature - can that be permanently turned on so you dont have to push the button every time you start the car?
4) Can the insane seatbelt alarm be turned off? Even if its at the dealer. I saw the list of customizable options in the owners manual that can be done at the dealer and dont see it on there. That thing is insane.

The car is a major upgrade from my matrix and I am enjoying it. The media interface and options leave alot to be desired and are disappointing. It could be so much better. Android Auto has to be connected via a cable and the apps available are very minimal (unless I am missing something), but atleast mine connects. Be good to hear feedback on these topics. Thank you.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Here's my almost useless answers....

I've run into #3 --- I think YES.
#4 is super duper annoying specially when I got a full car and a dog. But I sympathize with you.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Based on your answer, it appears you didn't pay for the full navigation option with your head unit. If you do not have the full navigation system, then the Map button is for their lousy Scout GPS app. You have to download the Entune 3.0 app and then the Scout GPS app onto your smart phone. Entune 3.0 is the required app to establish communication between your smart phone and the head unit. Scout GPS is the navigation app that is run on your smart phone. If you only connect via Bluetooth, will only bring up turn by turn directions. Connecting your phone to the USB port will give you full map visibility. After doing the above, the Map button will function as expected. Be warned, Scout GPS is free only for the first 3 years (I think) of use. After that, you'll have to pay to use the app which is totally useless. Also, the connection via wired is hit and miss so you may or may not have full map visibility.

As far as I know, there is no way to keep the Brake Hold feature activated after shutting down and starting the car.

The entire infotainment system is a mess. So it appears Android Auto isn't much to talk about either. For GPS, I would use Waze or Google Maps within Android Auto before enduring the mess that is Scout GPS and Entune 3.0. If you want to go beyond Android Auto, look for my thread on the CarlinkIT. It's a box for those with Car Play but want to have the full Android experience. I've had the box for some time and couldn't be happier. It has some shortcomings but what it brings to the table more than makes up for them. It also blows away Entune 3.0. Another option if you want wireless connectivity is to get the Ottobox which supports wireless Car Play and Android Auto.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Been reading old info about entune and its not been transitioned to a Toyota app. If you put entune in the app store, it just pulls up the toyota app.

Not surprisingly, the Toyota app is absolutely useless. Literally it leaves you asking yourself "what is this app supposed to do for me and my car". Its such a shame that Toyota is so bad with their electronics.

I will just use the Android auto when I need it. Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Most of us older CHR owner basically wanted to swap out that pitiful excuse of an entertainment unit. I got my Kenwood with android auto sitting in a box, just need to finish getting all the appropriate harnesses and slap myself to do it one weekend....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings - I just recently took delivery of a new C-HR in US (Florida). I am sorting through the various features and am finding a few things that are not obvious.

1) When I press the maps button, there's no map and it just tells me to go to the toyota website. Is a native map and direction an option?
2) When I turn the car off, the stereo turns off immediately. I am used to the stereo staying on until you open the door, can this be customized?
3) The brake 'hold' feature - can that be permanently turned on so you dont have to push the button every time you start the car?
4) Can the insane seatbelt alarm be turned off? Even if its at the dealer. I saw the list of customizable options in the owners manual that can be done at the dealer and dont see it on there. That thing is insane.

The car is a major upgrade from my matrix and I am enjoying it. The media interface and options leave alot to be desired and are disappointing. It could be so much better. Android Auto has to be connected via a cable and the apps available are very minimal (unless I am missing something), but atleast mine connects. Be good to hear feedback on these topics. Thank you.
-You cannot turn the seatbelt alarm off -unless your vehicle is equipped with navigation certain functions will not work but once you connect your phone if you press the map button it will activate Map through your device
-The Toyota app is pretty useless with the CHR not really much you can do with it but Apple CarPlay is excellent does everything I need it to do maps music hand free commands etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I turned my seatbelt chime off with carista software. Or poke the seatbelt receptacle with a small screwdriver. When the button pops up you're good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts