Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2018 Toyota C-HR on September 18, 2022, from CARMAX (first mistake), three days later began hearing grinding and rattling noise from somewhere. Firstly, I thought it may have been flat tires. So, I put some air in my tires and the noise persists. I then figured it may have been something loose rolling around in the vehicle, no. So, instead of taking it to CARMAX to get it 'serviced,' I took it straight to Toyota (which CARMAX did not like when I told them about the issue on the phone). Toyota said the mysterious sound is coming from the transmission and it would cost me $8,900.00 to replace plus tax. The vehicle had 87,000 miles on it when I purchased it, it was my first car and loved it, and I got it because I was told Toyota was a good reliable company. Now, I know that is a lie and they don't care about their customers safety or the quality of their vehicles, at least not anymore. Unless they live in Europe or Asia, I guess. I feel like Toyota purposefully shipped all the good C-HR's to Europe and throughout Asia and sent all the ones that were bad to the Americas. Hence, why they won't do anything about the issue.

On September 28, 2022, I returned the car to CARMAX, freely towed, because I did not feel comfortable driving 20 miles across the county where I live with a terrible and loud transmission, if I could even make it that far, so embarrassing to drive. I got my refund and will no longer buy another car from CARMAX and not even Toyota unless it is EV or hybrid and made in Japan or imported from Europe. If you do get a used Toyota C-HR in the Americas, make sure you drive off the lot with at minimum $10,000 in the bank or cash somewhere because you will have to pay for transmission, inevitably, and BEFORE 100,000 miles, and many, many, many times after and it constantly needs repairs apparently. Or, if you're financially rich, and really, really love the car, just buy a whole new engine and transmission (non CVT); overhaul the entire vehicle.

·
Registered
188 Posts
87k miles on a 2018 and having the transmission issue. I doubt any service was even done on the CVT fluid. As stated in another thread - change the CVT fluid at 30k no matter what. I got mine flushed at 30k miles. I only have 37k miles on it now. I will have the pan dropped and the filter changed at 60k miles and new fluid added.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts