Toyota C-HR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone try this yet to replace their stock 2018 head unit with a stock 2019 head unit?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Really wish they could just push through an update to give owners of the first gen all the new compatibility. Jaguar will be allowing owners of older models to update their systems with apple car play/ android auto, but it wont be free and its expected to be about 2 hours of labor.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The 2019 still doesnt have android auto .-.

Reactions: RoLleRKoaSTeR

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the dealer today and they quoted me around $4000CDN for the stock 2019 Toyota C-HR radio!!!!! That is nuts!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I replaced my wifes factory deck with a Pioneer deck. I only lost the built in Bluetooth mic, which to me was a small price to pay (I install car stereos, so putting a new mic in the car wasn't an issue).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced my wifes factory deck with a Pioneer deck. I only lost the built in Bluetooth mic, which to me was a small price to pay (I install car stereos, so putting a new mic in the car wasn't an issue).
Are you Danish, now you have that name?
Got picture of it? :)

·
Super Moderator
324 Posts
Sucks that us 2019 owners with the Entune 3.0 system don't have it easy in replacing the head unit. Toyota chose to change the back part of the housing/dash which now necks down to a single DIN. So we're stuck with needing to have a unit which has a large screen that is attached to a single DIN unit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 2018 stock radio started malfunctioning so I am getting it replaced under warranty. I had them checked if 2019 would fit 2018 and that out in the 2019 if possible. Turns out I wasn't the only one complaining for sucky 2018 radio.
Now it appears 2019 is a no fit for 2018 since 2018 doesn't come with Entune. However, 2019 is a direct fot for 2018 Camry because Camry came with Entune sysyem and has SOS builtin to support over the air updates.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also for the folks wondering if aftermarket radio will void the warranty, it will.
However, Toyota tech said to keep the stock radio and if needs be put it back in so i dint lose the warranty.
He also said that Toyota can install the aftermarket radio for me and not cut any wires so in case if I need to bring it in for repairs later on we can put stock radio back in to claim warranty

·
Super Moderator
324 Posts
My 2018 stock radio started malfunctioning so I am getting it replaced under warranty. I had them checked if 2019 would fit 2018 and that out in the 2019 if possible. Turns out I wasn't the only one complaining for sucky 2018 radio.
Now it appears 2019 is a no fit for 2018 since 2018 doesn't come with Entune. However, 2019 is a direct fot for 2018 Camry because Camry came with Entune sysyem and has SOS builtin to support over the air updates.
If I had the 2018 model, I don't even know why I would consider putting in another half hearted attempt by Toyota at a proper Infotainment system. You all have options to install a quality aftermarket system which we 2019 owners so far do not. At least not something that anyone has tried. I did find a possible option with the Joying Android head unit which should physically fit our funky dash setup which requires a single DIN radio body but an 8" display.

Also for the folks wondering if aftermarket radio will void the warranty, it will.
However, Toyota tech said to keep the stock radio and if needs be put it back in so i dint lose the warranty.
He also said that Toyota can install the aftermarket radio for me and not cut any wires so in case if I need to bring it in for repairs later on we can put stock radio back in to claim warranty
The tech is talking out of his back side. In the US, the Magnusen Moss act makes it unlawful for a manufacturer to void a vehicle warranty by the use of aftermarket parts. It is true the dealer can choose not to cover any repair diagnostics which are associated with the systems tied to the Infotainment system. But they can't void a problem say with your ECU unless they can say the aftermarket system caused a problem.

There are plenty of aftermarket options out there which are pretty much plug and play for your 2018 cars from what I've seen. So I'd be surprised if there is any splicing of wires required at all. As long as you have a good relationship with your dealer, they shouldn't be out to screw you on any warranty work.

I bought my 2013 BMW new from my dealer. I've done a few aftermarket mods which are readily apparent by any tech that knows these cars. One of which is the fact I have a back up camera which was not an option at all for these cars that is integrated into the factory iDrive system. I have not been harassed about this even though one of the repair jobs I had my car in required the driver's side lower dash to be pulled down. All the extra aftermarket components are installed there and are readily visible. Including the wireless mirrorlink box I use to mirror my smart phone's A/V to my car's screen and stereo system.

·
Super Moderator
324 Posts
Wanted to add something more to my last post in regards to statements about using aftermarket parts voiding your new car warranty. I was poking around Toyota's website and found this statement from Toyota:

"I would like to add an aftermarket accessory or part to my vehicle. Will this impact my warranty?

Warranty coverage is not dependent upon the use of any particular brand of replacement parts. However, Toyota recommends using only Genuine Toyota Parts when you need to replace a part on your vehicle. Non-Genuine Toyota Parts, or any damage or failures resulting from their use, are not covered by any Toyota warranty."

If anyone wants to see it on Toyota's website yourself, just go to the FAQ section. There is a search field. Just enter this "I would like to add an aftermarket accessory or part to my vehicle. Will this impact my warranty?" into the search field and the first hit will be what I pasted above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts