Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many other CH-R hybrid owners are suffering the same problem as I am with the 12v battery?

It is the most unreliable car I have ever bought and if left unused for more than one day the 12v battery fails and the car will not start.

The dealer has checked it several times and says that the battery is fine but the car should be used for long journeys every day.
What is the point of buying an ecological car that stands idle on the drive because it will not start.

Does anyone else think that Toyota have missold these cars and that the new technology does not match up to expectations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have a hybrid, you shouldn't drive it only for short few-minute trips. Because when it's in electric mode, the 12V battery isn't charging. The petrol engine needs to run for some time to charge the 12V battery, like with classic engines.

·
Registered
2021 Blizzard Pearl Nightshade C-HR
17 Posts
^Vodamark nailed it^. It's electric. It doesn't charge with an extension cord, it charges with driving. Definitely not made for short trips. Made for long huals to get the best milage out of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dealer has checked it several times and says that the battery is fine but the car should be used for long journeys every day.
Don't worry, that's absolutely false.
The 12v battery is very small and discharges and deteriorates faster than in other types of car, but absolutely nothing happens if you do not use the car daily.

It is enough to use the vehicle once a week, for example. Half an hour should be enough.
Of course, if the car is used daily it is better.

The 12v battery is charged from the HYBRID system battery circuit, it does not require the combustion engine.

Will my Toyota hybrid be okay if I don't drive it for a long time? - Toyota UK Magazine

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've driven everyday this week, 70 mile round trip the longest, 10 miles shortest. Car failed to start this morning for the third time in 18 months. Usual dash lights but no drive. 2020 Hybrid, Orange edition, 2 litre engine. 8000 miles.
AA called out, used their starter pack to start it and tested the big battery in boot. Meter showed 11.5 to 12.5. AA says it's a known fault.
Toyota says battery is fine at last intermediate service.
Absolutely useless reliability, it's going back, Toyota need to sort this problem out....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, Am glad I am not alone with this issue! I have a 2019 2.0 since Sept and had to call Road Assist in Oct as battery flat. AA guy said battery was fine but I needed ro drive it more often or leave it idling on drive for 60mins every few days (while we are all trying to reduce emissions). Have read many other forums - a few suggested resolutions:
  • ask Toyota to replace the standard 45aH battery with a 65aH
  • ask Toyota to change factory setting 5 days on key fob to 2-3 days. The car will keep searching for the key for 5 days otherwise which adds to draining the battery.

I called Steven Eagell today to ask if they could help. Not interested and would not change battery citing anything above 45aH could damage parts. They also said they could not amend key fob only remove all keyless access. They instead offered to SELL me a trickle charger and check battery. Really poor after sales support tbh. Worse still, really poor pre sales service as had they advised that I needed to drive it regularly, I would never have bought it!!

Given how many of us are having these issues, is there another way to raise this further and collectively?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts