Things done to my 2019 C-HR LE - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Things done to my 2019 C-HR LE

Haven't had the car a month yet and have done the following:

Xenon Depot HID upgrade
3M clear film over headlight lens assemblies.
Curt 1 1/4" trailer hitch
Center console storage tray

On the way:

Quiksnap side window shades

Future:

Mud flaps
Factory fog lamp kit
Whenever someone releases a vehicle in motion bypass/external video input kit or an aftermarket head unit for the 2019 housing form factor

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:32 PM
SiR

Those are some great choices you've made to the CH-R.

How much have you figured that cost you so far out the door installed with taxes?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

The HID kit was about $140 shipped.
The 3M clear film on the headlights was about $53 done by a local shop.
The Curt trailer hitch was about $135 shipped.
The center console tray was about $13 shipped.
The Quiksnap shades is about $60 shipped.

All of the above is total cost. Installation, I did it all myself so saved on that cost with the exception of the 3M clear film. I guess I should throw in a few dollars for supplies used when I installed the HID kit; which were wire ties and double sided adhesive pads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:39 PM

Glad to see that you are already doing some modifications to make the C-HR your own. Do you plan on doing much towing with the car? I know it hasn't been rated for much. I think there is a thread up on here with a guide on installing that factory fog light kit.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

The main purpose is to augment cargo capacity by having a tow hitch carrier. I know the tongue weight limit is 200lbs. But I don't expect to carry a lot of heavy stuff. That said, the heavy stuff is probably pretty valuable and I wouldn't want it sitting out exposed like that either. So that stuff will most likely be in the car while other less valuable stuff would be strapped down to the carrier. But probably the first thing I'll get is a bike rack carrier. Still trying to decide on which one to get that provides enough versatility, light weight, and convenience.

Talking to eTrailer, they said I can tow 2000lbs easily without putting any strain on the chassis or the engine/trans. With this in mind, I've thought about getting a motorcycle trailer so I can tow one of my motorcycles with me to the beach.

Yes, I saw the guide on doing the factory fog light install. Waiting on eBay to have another of their 10/15% off coupon days. Also, need to get together with my dealer's parts department as there are now two different factory fog light kits. One which is what I've seen installed and most pervasive is the halogen H11 bulb unit. The other is the newer LED fog light. I got a part number for it but apparently there are a number of different part numbers tied to it. From what I remember, the list price for the LED kit is about $399. Can't seem to find much info online about this newer kit.

Doing some more research, it looks as if I might be able to get an aftermarket head unit to get rid of the crap Entune 3.0 system. Joying has an Android head unit with a 8" screen where the screen can be adjusted up and down on how it mounts to the main body. After much research on the 2019 MY cars, we need to get a single DIN unit but with a 8" screen to fit into the stock opening. And the single DIN body has to be at the bottom of the 8" screen. I might end up paying the place which did the 3M film install to do the install of this unit. Because the unit Joying has which fits my car is a universal unit and not Toyota specific. I don't know what will happen with trying to get the stock back up camera to work with the Joying head unit. I guess I could just replace the stock back camera all together. But would like to keep things as stock as possible.

Also, looking into replacing the auto dimming rear view mirror with a Gentex auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink. My BMW has Homelink in the rear view mirror and frankly, I've gotten spoiled. Rather not have the two garage remotes I have not pinned to the sun visor. I'm hoping the stock harness that powers the factory auto dimming mirror will be a direct connect to the Gentex.

ETA: On the topic of towing. For some reason, the European models for the C-HR do have an official tow rating from Toyota. Toyota officially states they can do 1500lbs. Why this is different for the US market, I don't know. Found this out reading through the UK C-HR forum. And Toyota offers a factory tow hitch kit which can be installed by a dealer. I seem to recall one of the posters in the UK forum saying they had this done.

Last edited by zx10guy; 02-23-2019 at 01:37 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:01 PM
SiR

I think that difference in tow rating among other differences we see come down to market regulations. Toyota might be under requirements in the U.S. that take longer to produce those numbers in a way that's legally sound compared to other markets without as many barriers.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:54 AM

Safety standards are much different between NA and the UK. We also know that there are some region specific changes to the powertrain and optional equipment. If you do end up getting a small trailer, I'd be interested to hear how you find the dynamics of the C-HR with a load. Hoping in the future Toyota moves to a global platform for this car.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

The standards difference can account for the difference in stated tow capability. But as far as the different power plants go, we have the 3ZR-FAE 2.0 liter engine which puts out 144 HP and 138 ft lbs. The two other power plants for Europe are the 8NR-FTS which puts out 114HP/136 ft lbs and the 2ZR-FXE which puts out 134HP/153 ft lbs. And we all have the same CVT transmission except they get an option of a manual. So to me, there's not much difference there either.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Update.

Just ordered the mud flaps. Weird thing is my dealer said the mud flaps were pulled from the parts catalog with a stop sale order or something to that effect. I found a Toyota dealership online which had it for the cheapest price I could find even after paying for shipping. They processed my order and have the parts on order. So I don't know what the deal is with my dealer. I'll let everyone know who this Toyota dealer is I ordered online from if the order is fulfilled satisfactorily. If the buying experience is good, I plan on ordering the OEM fog light kit from them as they also have the cheapest price around even with being charged for shipping.

I also put in an inquiry to Gentex on if they have a plug and play option to have an auto dimming mirror with Homelink. Will update here too when I get an answer.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Another update.

I chose to go ahead and order the OEM fog light kit with the mud flaps from that Toyota dealer. I did some more research and again this Toyota dealer had the cheapest price for the fog light kit and combining the order with the mud flaps saves me on paying for shipping again. I expected a slight shipping cost increase with the additional parts but they kept the shipping the same. If all goes well, I will definitely recommend this place for people to purchase from.

One difference with the OEM fog light kit I'm purchasing is it is the newer LED units that have been factory installed on the Limited trim level. So far, it seems I'm the first one to do this upgrade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page