What to love or hate about the 2017+ Toyota C-HR? - Page 7 - Toyota C-HR Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:25 PM

Garage
Got my 2019 XLE a few months ago, and the bad outweighs the good, unfortunately.
I was coming out of a much nicer car (2018 Ford Escape Titanium) so I expected a few let-downs based on missing features (heated seats, automated parking, foot-operated tailgate, remote start app, etc.)
But, the car gave me even more grievances than I expected.

Things I love:
- the Blue Flame color - almost entirely why I bought it. Still makes the purchase worth it.
- The funky styling has been calling my name since the car was first released
- C-HR logo projected on the ground is fun, despite being pointless.
- The auto-folding mirrors, especially being able to close them in a drive-thru just in case I get too close to a bollard or wall.
- Apple CarPlay is a bit smoother than it was in my Ford.

Things that I dislike:
* Nowhere to put ANYTHING inside the car.
- door pockets are too shallow
- the center console box is too far back
- there was room in the center shifter console for pockets, but they elected to make it a sculptural element
- nowhere to put a phone mount (the air vent fins are too thick, and the most common car-specific solution places your phone in front of the entire climate control)
* The multi-information display in the speedo has the worst setup of any car I have ever seen. I'm coming from a 2018 Ford Escape, and ALL of the Ford models are MILES ahead of Toyota in terms of logical displays.
- there's plenty of screen space to display 4 or more pieces of information, the setups they force are painfully minimal and useless with no customization options.
- the screen blanks out completely to remind me that LDA isn't available every single time I go under 32 mph. changing the small LDA icon from green to white would have sufficed.
- the screen blanks out completely to show me a little graphic of the car in front of me every single time one enters or leaves my radar range. could be handled with a smaller graphic.
- way too many screens to scroll through to put it into sport mode every time I restart the car and no physical button for sport mode.
* Safety features are obnoxious
- LDA doesn't understand exit ramps or lane creation, which Ford's system was guilty of as well. BUT the Ford used vibration in the steering wheel instead of constant shrill beeping.
- when I have a heavy object in or leaning against the passenger seat or a passenger has recently gotten out of the car, I have to fasten the passenger seatbelt on the empty seat or face the rage of the seatbelt reminder klaxon.
- can't lock the doors while the car is running?? That means I can't leave my puppy in the car with the AC running while I slip into the store for a quick purchase. even when my puppy isn't in the car, sometimes its nice to let the AC keep going while you are going to be away from your car for 2-3 minutes and I am just not comfortable leaving my running car unlocked when I cannot see it.
- can't lock the doors while one of them is open. I have to wait for all of my passengers to close their doors before I can walk away from mine, otherwise, I have to go digging in my pocket for the fob.
- can't open the hatch without the entire car unlocking, and then there's no touchpad to relock the car from the hatch. I have to walk back to the front door or dig for my fob.
- if you open a door before turning off the car, once you turn the car off a continuous beep begins and does not stop until that door is closed and locked. that is completely unnecessary.
- I was frustrated with my Ford because, in heavy rain, the collision avoidance system would stop working - a point in time when you need it most. I thought the Toyota system would be better because of the higher sensor. instead, the C-HR loses collision avoidance in both rain and high heat situations. I live in texas. Almost every day this summer it has been several minutes before the sensor cools down enough to be functional.
* The front bumper lip is too far forward. I know I'm coming from an SUV, but previous to the Escape I have driven nothing but severely lowered compact cars. I'm dreading lowering the C-HR because at the stock height I already have to enter slopes at an angle to avoid bottoming out the lip.
* the low-quality fabric of the headliner feels like a dryer sheet and is already snagged.
* SO MUCH MORE CABIN NOISE than my Escape. the first time I took it through a carwash, the sound of the water spraying the roof and doors was remarkably deafening.

Personal gripes that probably won't apply to / bother most other people:
* a 6-speed manual would have made this slow car more fun to drive. they offer one in the new Corolla hatch (same engine, same global platform), why not the C-HR?
* My insurance rate is $40 higher per month in this car - despite having 100 less horsepower and a $10,000 lower MSRP. I blame the Toyota badge for that inconsistency.
* the selection of non-cosmetic aftermarket parts is almost non-existent. other than the ridiculously styled and expensive TRD body kits, most of what is available is pointless, stick-on, fake carbon fiber cosmetic pieces.
* the availability of knowledge from individuals who have modified the C-HR platform is nearly non-existent. It seems I will mostly be blazing my own trail as I modify this car.
* the absence of adaptive guidelines on the rearview camera has destroyed my reverse parking skills. with the Escape, I was perfectly centered, perfectly straight, every single time. My first few parking jobs with the C-HR were reminiscent of a drunk driver with no rearview camera. they are still pretty bad sometimes, 3 months later.

In the end, I miss my 2016 Ford Focus ST1 most of all, but after I traded it for the 2018 Escape I missed having a "fun" car so badly that the C-HR is definitely worth this lengthy list of gripes. but, if something happens to the C-HR and I have to go shopping again, I won't be looking at the C-HR again.
meanmachine19 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Thanks for a very comprehensive review. I currently drive a 2014 Corolla but considering a switch to the C-HR and would appreciate your opinion on its power response. I'm aware it's slower than most cars even perhaps a Corolla but how has been your personal experience having driven it for a few months. Do you find it frustratingly slower while picking up at stop lights or acceptable.
Sorry, just seeing your post. The power response still leaves a lot to be desired. You learn to anticipate your opportunities to place your car into an open spot in traffic. I tell everyone that the C-HR is a car Toyota only half completed. The car should have come with the engine being used in the recently updated Corolla HB. There's really no excuse for this major oversight especially since the suspension was dialed in on the Nurburgring. At the very least give us a 6 speed manual option which the overseas markets get.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #63 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:33 AM

power is lacking ,i have yet to try sport mode .maybe a little more power there .??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe doe View Post
power is lacking ,i have yet to try sport mode .maybe a little more power there .??
From what I gather, sport mode only makes the throttle more responsive. There is also some speculation that the electric power steering stiffens up a little. There is no gain in horsepower as far as I have seen. There is a Youtube video which clocks how fast our C-HR gets to 60 with and without sport mode. It's the same.

post #65 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:22 PM

My dislikes...and likes

I've only had my 2019 C-HR for a week and coming from a pickup truck for past 14 years it is an adjustment for me.

Here are a couple things I'm not thrilled about so far...

* A truck? MVD in Arizona recognizes this vehicle as a 'truck'. Come on!! It's a stretch to call it a SUV. So clearly that cancels out any insurance I thought I might have been saving on. So that's more of a Toyota issue vs. vehicle issue, but still not happy about it.

*The driver door window sill is too high for me. I'm used to resting my arm on it (especially when the window is open) but given my short stature it makes it hard to rest it comfortably on there.

*No cigarette plug up front (previously mentioned). I need it to plug in my car charger/holder unit and having to run the charging wire backwards from the dash to the console is not good. Especially since I have an iPhone so I need to use the USB if I want to use car play. The mount is important given the limited space.

*Volume differences....depending on whether I'm using blue tooth or Apple CarPlay, playing music off my phone is not the same in terms of volume.

*Storage space is non-existent (as previously mentioned). Trying hard to downsize and buy different types of organizers (i.e. back seat pocket). Not much room in the back but I knew that when I made my decision to buy.

*Small tank. Yes the mpg is nice coming from a truck that was averaging around 18 mpg. But in a week I drive just a little more than 300 miles so having to put gas in more than once a week is going to get old fast.

* Doors not locking.

* The tiny cubby hole next to the USB plug. They would have been better off putting in more plugs instead. My phone doesn't fit in it.

What I'm loving so far...

*The color (blue) is by far my favorite. I liked the red but the blue just pops.

*Satisfactory power for a 2.0L. We (wife and I) immediately noticed a difference between this and the Honda HR-V (which took the Honda out of the running).

*Folding mirrors. Nice addition

*Interior technology. It's an upgrade from my older pickup. I had blue tooth for phone and added a wireless blue tooth to my auxiliary jack in my last vehicle, but this is way nicer.

*I do like the safety features like the LDA (and cruise control vehicle space thingy...). I also like how the rear camera has a sharp image.
Blind spot on mirrors. Very nice.

The jury is still out on....

* 'Hold' button. I don't live in the city so I've used it a little, but not enough to get used to using it. But I can see how this can be useful.

Overall I do like the vehicle and as I mentioned it's an adjustment period for me. I'll either adjust or not, but I will give it more time than I did when I went from a truck to a sedan (for 3 months) several years ago. At least I don't feel it is as low to the ground as the Accord was.

Good thread. Nice to see what others think of their 2019.
post #66 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

It's interesting you felt the C-HR is faster than the HR-V. All published numbers for the HR-V has been in the 8.6 second range to 60 MPH. The best number I've found for the C-HR to 60 is 10.5 seconds with many places saying the number is 11 seconds. That's quite a bit slower than the HR-V.
meanmachine19 likes this.

post #67 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 11:13 AM

Yeah I mean it wasn't substantial by any means but my wife and I drove both on different days. I doubt something like altitude (7K above sea level) had anything to do with it, but the Toyota felt more responsive. We are Honda lovers so it was a disappointment but we also felt the road noise was also more prominent on the HR-V. Maybe psychological, maybe my wife just likes the look of the C-HR better lol.

Thanks for the feedback. I respect and appreciate your input.
post #68 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 07:55 AM

so tried sport mode now .it is indeed more peppy .better throttle response for sure .only fail is you have to select it every time you want to use it .big fail on toyota`s part there .
post #69 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 08:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe doe View Post
so tried sport mode now .it is indeed more peppy .better throttle response for sure .only fail is you have to select it every time you want to use it .big fail on toyota`s part there .

Tried sport mode, also. Has much more acceleration from stand still or when needing to pass. Yes, a switch or button would be great to select drive modes.
My RAV4 - even with a slightly bigger engine sucks at acceleration. I think that it is due to the 4-speed tranny (2010) .

* as for noise, the C-HR rides much quieter than my 2010 RAV4

2018 C-HR XLE Ruby Flare Pearl R-Code
2010 Rav4 (200k mi club)
2004 Sea-Doo GTX with custom fishing rig.

Last edited by RoLleRKoaSTeR; 09-29-2019 at 08:37 AM.
post #70 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Sport mode doesn't change the overall slowness of the car. It does make the throttle response more sensitive which will give the impression there is more power. For those that want to add a Sport mode button, here's a video where someone actually has made a custom one:

And here is a video showing how slow our cars are even in Sport mode:

RoLleRKoaSTeR likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page